Old 04-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Saint and Flow Frustration

I picked up a 171 gram Opto Saint and a flat topped 172 gram Gold Flow last week at La Mirada in the used basket. Two very cool 18 hole courses by the way. The Flow looked brand new and was $10, the Saint was also in great shape, same price, I was very excited with the find.

Unfortunately both discs are turning over fairly easy on me, LHBH, and I'm pissed cause I thought both of these discs were gonna be awesome. I've been playing for about 10 months and can throw an Innova Krait (171 g) about 425 max distance. For another reference I throw a 175 gram TL on nice straight lines with no issues. Could it be a form issue (OAT) or are these discs understable enough to flip if not thrown perfectly flat?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
The Saint might just be not for you. How much are you turning the Flow? Some is perfectly normal with your distance I would say but if it's turning and never coming out of it or burning into a roller you caught yourself a case of the Oats brotha.

Edit: I see you said not flat. Yeah both will easily turn if you're throwing them with anny. The saint will probably worm hole on you and the flow might not come out of it. Throw them both flat or on a slight hyzer and you might fall in love.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 69
Throwing Style: RHBH
Both discs are sensitive to OAT, meant to be thrown smooth, not hard.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:29 PM

LOL, nobody wants to hear that they've caught a "Case of the oats". Appreciate the feedback, I actually try and throw my discs pretty flat but I think there might be some anny angles happening. I'll try and hyzer a bit and see if that helps. The Saint S curves very pronounced and the Flow will also but half the time it just turns over and never fades back. Both discs are horrible into the wind! Well at least at 171-2 grams.

Jimbo, how it going man. I've heard the Swedish plastic are designed for less power so I'll really watch my form and see what happens. I was hoping the Saint could be a replacement for the SL, fingers crossed. Cheers.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 62
i'm my limited time throwing flows the flatter ones were fairly flippy. this might not be the case any longer, but a few years ago i tossed a few flat gold lines that were flip city.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 35
Flat topped GL Flows are flip machines. Fact of life. Saints aren't exactly "Overstable Control Drivers" as printed on the disc.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:57 PM

Dehaas, I read about some older flat top Goldline Flows that were extremely understable, I think I may have got one unfortunately. I'm hoping it's just some OAT issues but I'll say it flies very different than my Krait which is supposed to be a straighter flying Wraith.

Do you guys think I should be throwing heavier discs or is 170-172 g's a good driver weight for someone that can throw 425'?
Old 04-26-2013, 06:03 PM

Keltik, I'm bummed to hear that most if not all of the flat topped goldline Flows are turnover discs, I already have a RoadRunner!! I spent a lot of time researching good control drivers to replace my SL's and I saw that the Saints and Freak's had good reviews. I chose to go with the Saint but I'm thinking that the Freak may be a better choice for me, or I just need to clean up my form.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 61
Pros throwing 500 consistently throw 170g drivers. I doubt that will cause you issues. Granted, there are differences between discs of varying weight.

You just need to throw different discs to see how they work for you.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Eagle Member

I have three Flows. One flat GL, one moderately domey Opto, and a pop top Opto.

The GL is very flippy. I like it for hyzer flips and tail winds. When I first got it, I couldn't believe how flippy it was. I didn't bag it at first for that reason.

I got the domier Opto to see if it had a little more stability, and it does. If I really lean into it, I can get it to flip up, but it's got a good deal of HSS. I bagged it and the understable Flow as a complement.

I thought I lost my Opto in the snow, and bought a new one (literally 5 minutes after I bought it, someone walked through the door with my old one!). It is ridiculously overstable. I don't have it bagged because it's as overstable as my Firebird and Banshee.

So it's probably not you. That Flow might make a good tailwind driver, or turnover driver for you, but it's definitely very understable. Get one with some dome on it for some good overstability. Moderate domes are best for me. And don't forget to check that PLH!