Old 04-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
I have three Flows. One flat GL, one moderately domey Opto, and a pop top Opto.

The GL is very flippy. I like it for hyzer flips and tail winds. When I first got it, I couldn't believe how flippy it was. I didn't bag it at first for that reason.

I got the domier Opto to see if it had a little more stability, and it does. If I really lean into it, I can get it to flip up, but it's got a good deal of HSS. I bagged it and the understable Flow as a complement.

I thought I lost my Opto in the snow, and bought a new one (literally 5 minutes after I bought it, someone walked through the door with my old one!). It is ridiculously overstable. I don't have it bagged because it's as overstable as my Firebird and Banshee.

So it's probably not you. That Flow might make a good tailwind driver, or turnover driver for you, but it's definitely very understable. Get one with some dome on it for some good overstability. Moderate domes are best for me. And don't forget to check that PLH!
this variation in flows is what got me throwing swords instead. i know any mold is going to have freak extremes, but swords seem like they are more consistent if you're just going to grab one not knowing what to look for.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:45 PM

Alcuin, thanks for the feedback. I was hoping my Flow was going to be a straighter flying Wraith with awesome plastic, guess not.

I had no idea what PLH was, that is pretty interesting, there's a lot more science to picking out a disc than I realized. Have a good weekend guys.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 33
Saint and Flow Frustration

I'm having more flow frustrations as I get older.

When I first got my GL Flow is was a domey glide-less meathook. Now it's broken in to a straight glidey go to driver with dependable end fade. Both my Saints, GL and Opto, have moderate dome and fly enough alike that I only carry the GL. If I throw the Saint poorly it will turn/turn over and never come back. When I throw it well it's straight with a little turn and dependable fade. I'm only throwing the Saint or Flow 330 ft. on a flat release.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 82
I own both. 175 GL Saint is a go-to disc for long, mostly straight drives. It turns a little and holds for a long time before fading nice and gently. I find the Saint to be one of my longest dependable discs, generally good for 400' when I hit a nice line. I don't carry many high-speed drivers, and they are mostly for utility stuff anyway (XCal, Nuke OS...), so that I appreciate the glidey Saint. I throw pretty hard with a bit of hyzer, and she flips up pretty nicely. I have an Opto that I don't throw (2012 Worlds disc), and a fresher 167 GL Saint that acts about the same as my seasoned one.

The only Flow I have is a 171 GL in black. I used to love it, then it worked its way out of my bag. But I have recently started trying to throw it again, and found it to be a useful turnover driver to complement a Halo and a Villain. Again, strong release with a touch of hyzer does the trick.

Last edited by KenTyburski; 04-26-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 8
I use the saint as my main driver, with 3 in the bag. I have a 167 sparkle opto that when thrown flat will give me a big s curve shot or if released anny will hold it to the ground. Then I have a 169 bubblegum opto that is my main driver, it gives me a tighter s curve that ends up dead straight and then a 175 sparkle opto that goes dead nuts straight with some fade at the end. I used to also bag a GL but its too flippy compared to the others so its not in the bag anymore.

I just recently picked up a 170g domey GL flow to try out. Discs with a rim speed 11+ and my hand just dont mesh very well usually. But this disc seems to be pretty workable in the limited throws I have had with it. Also I have had some of my farthest throws so far with it.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 10
Zen Golfer, if you're truly looking for a Swedish SL replacement, check out the Westside Northman. They are very Star SL like, but I'd say a little more stable than a pro Starfire (original SL)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 PM

Spent about 45 minutes throwing my drivers and mids at my local park and started to get a feel for the Saint. The glide on that thing is very impressive, I threw it a little low once and it just hovered 5' off the ground and finished up almost dead straight for 325'! It takes a different style than I'm used to but it has my attention. I still really love my SL's though.
The Flow didn't really improve much, I hyzer flipped it a couple times and that seems to work. I'd rather just bomb my Krait for long distance drives so the Flow didn't make the cut. I'll have to look into the Northman, if it flies a little more stable than a Star SL I'll be a happy camper.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 40
Domey flow = stable with forward fade
Flat flow = flippy

You can pretty make the same generalization about all lat 64 drivers...the domier the more over stable it is
Old 04-27-2013, 06:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
Both discs are sensitive to OAT, meant to be thrown smooth, not hard.
I throw Opto Flow and Saint as my main drivers and it took me a while to learn this, but it is very true; moreso for the Flow than the Saint though. The harder you try to throw a Flow the worse results you will get - flipping, stalling, no glide etc. Throw it nice and smooth at about 60-70% and just let it do the work. I'm sure this is very true with ALL discs to some degree, but the Flow definitely is not very forgiving, so go easy with it.

+1 on the dome's as well ... I throw a max weight opaque pink flow, that's really domey into the wind no problem.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty5150 View Post
I throw Opto Flow and Saint as my main drivers and it took me a while to learn this, but it is very true; moreso for the Flow than the Saint though. The harder you try to throw a Flow the worse results you will get - flipping, stalling, no glide etc. Throw it nice and smooth at about 60-70% and just let it do the work. I'm sure this is very true with ALL discs to some degree, but the Flow definitely is not very forgiving, so go easy with it.

+1 on the dome's as well ... I throw a max weight opaque pink flow, that's really domey into the wind no problem.
I throw a similar Flow as well as two white Gl Flows. I agree, these discs need smooth pulls.

OP, as for Saints, I've got a mid-low 170's Gl that's pretty well seasoned that is my understable compliment to Strikers. I also have a 174 sparkle GlOpto that is dead straight with a decent fade, unless I OAT it -- then it shows turn.