Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: How many discs do you carry? (multiple choice if Tourney bag and Casual bag differ)
1-10 51 14.61%
11-15 113 32.38%
16-20 148 42.41%
21-25 72 20.63%
26+ 13 3.72%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2013, 11:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangherity View Post
i have a feeling you dont own 20 discs.
I own over 100 discs. But that's beside the point.

On the course, less is more.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 65
Right now I have 14 discs in the bag, including back ups. I play by myself a lot, and I like to be able to rethrow shots with the same mold, either to try and correct my mistakes or to replicate a successful shot. Without duplicates, I could whittle it down to 11 or so, including a mistprint DX Stringray I only throw on holes with water hazards.

I have been considering bumping up to a larger bag than my Fade Crunch solely to carry more multiples - I'd love to have the room to carry, say, 5 Underworlds if I want just to retry shots over and over again. Or 6 putters for putting practice without having to rejig the bag.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 100
I carry between 17-20 discs every round with no multiples. Each disc I have has its own unique characteristics and I really enjoy trying to use them for very specific jobs. For example, I carry a z glow zone and a pig. I could really get away with one or the other but in reality they each do something uniquely better than the other so I enjoy seeing them do their 'own' thing. It's a fun factor thing for me and for whatever reason I like the uniqueness of each and every disc that I have.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
My philosophy is to carry 7 discs. But I'm carrying 13-14.

The 7 are not model-specific, but are
- very overstable driver
- slightly overstable driver
- slightly understable driver
- very understable driver
- overstable midrange
- understable midrange
- putter

I'm not model-specific, especially on drivers, as it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me which ones I use in a given category. If my "slightly overstable driver" gets lost or beat in to understable or just falls out of my favor, I'll find an entirely different disc in that category that suits me.

I carry a larger bag in part to carry more liquid. I carry multiple discs of different models in some of these categories for several reasons

- I frequently play a course with great lost-disc potential.
- In tournaments, I want to be able to replace a key disc if lost, even where losses are unlikely.
- In playing casual, sometimes I want to take a 2nd or 3rd shot on a hole, particularly the first hole, and need some overlap.
- I'm trying out something new along with my tried-&-true.
- I have 2 putters. I use them in different putting situations, though it's not necessary. It's also more convenient for practice putting.
This explains my philosophy well, except I like to carry 10 molds. In addition to the types of molds above I also carry:

An extremely overstable driver too fast for my arm
A very overstable midrange
An overstable putter

It gets very windy sometimes in Texas, so very overstable discs are frequently required to maintain control.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 60
I find 16 discs to be a good number for me. It could be less, but I personally like having a separate disc for forehand (don't throw too often), overhand, and rollers. Also, I have two putters (Proton Ion and Neutron Anode). They're similar, but I like to putt with the proton plastic, and drive with the neutron plastic. Then, I have one driver in my bag that I rarely throw that's for a "danger" shot over water. If I lose it, it's not a big deal, but I still know how it flies. So, I could definitely drop 4 discs from my bag, but I figure why?
Old 04-28-2013, 01:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 163
In all: 23. I keep saying I need to thin the herd, but I never do.
I reality I typically throw about 8-12 in any given round, but about half of those vary depending on the course.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 81
I play three different set-ups, mainly for practice with alternate disc options: one primary mixed bag for tourneys, and all-Discraft and all-Latitude bags for something different (I haven't tried an all-Innova bag for a couple of years.. maybe soon). I put 13-14 discs in an Innova Standard bag. My philosophy? Throw stuff I am comfortable with that cover the varying ranges of stability and distance. During the course of a round, I will use about half of my discs, but it always depends on the situation. Sure, there is a lot of overlap in these setups, but for me, it's about feel: what disc *feels* right in the moment?

Tourney Setup: SS VooDoo (putter), R-Pro Rhyno (driving putter), Z Glo Zone (utility/approach/flick), Cryztal Buzzz SS, Z Glo Buzzz, Ti Wasp, Z Hornet, GL Trident, Champ Glow Leopard, Star Teebird, GL Saint, Star Firebird, Champ Wraith, Champ XCaliber

All-Discraft Setup: Soft Focus, Z Glo Zone, ESP Meteor, Cryztal Buzzz SS, Z Glo Buzzz, Z Hornet, Cryztal FLX Drone, Z XL, ESP Cyclone, Z Glo Stalker, Z Glo Nuke, Z Crush, Z Nuke OS

All-Latitude Setup: Zero Pure, Opto Pure, GL Fuse, GL Core, Opto Core, GL Pain, GL Trident, GL River, GL Saint (X2), Opto XXX, GL Flow, GL Halo, GL Villain
Old 04-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
The only reason I can understand carrying more discs is for replacements in competition. IMO, if you can't get every shot you need out of 7-10 discs...you need more practice.

I bet most top pros only throw about that many discs per tourney. All the other discs they carry are back-ups and rarely used specialty stuff.
Your right! The only reason I carry 18 is so that I can throw multiple shots per hole. I can only get out twice a week so I kind of play 3 rounds in one when I do play. I could play most courses with 6 discs.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
The only reason I can understand carrying more discs is for replacements in competition. IMO, if you can't get every shot you need out of 7-10 discs...you need more practice.
^This. I carry 18 discs, but only 7 different molds. I just like to have back-ups in general, competition or not.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 88
I pack my Physical Flight Contender full. 23 in the main compartment, 1 on each side and 2-3 putters up top pocket... that's 30 and I sometimes put a couple more in the top compartment if needed.

My philosophy is to never say, "darn, I wish I had that disc with me"... and even that happened yesterday when I forgot that there would be a Millenium only CTP.

My new goal it to cut down the number of different molds. None are duplicate currently, so I'll be taking out some for backups.