Old 04-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: RHBH
^^^ Very interesting! Our best league player in these parts in infamous for caving under pressure in tournaments. I definitely feel the difference myself. I own my league on Wednesday nights (amateur side) and usually have a nice round one in tournaments because I'm having fun. Then comes round 2 and I change from having a blast to trying to win... and thus I'm still seeking win #1.

I should've crushed the C-Tier recreation field this past weekend and was only 2 off the lead after round one... then did my usual tank job to finish 3rd. I'll figure it out soon I'm sure, but there is definitely more pressure in tournaments and in league night.. at least for me and others I play with.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 89
I'm also anxiously awaiting to see what the official ratings for GBO will be. First two days were pristine conditions and my expectation would be that those rounds would be averaged... but on Sunday, the wind was steady at 35+ mph with gusts over 45 mph! There is no way the conditions on that day were anything close to the others... It would shock me to see that day averaged in with the other two days. We'll see!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post
Perhaps this will be fixed later as it seems every tournament I play in has post tournament adjustments... or is there some other factor that I'm not aware of like who you're playing with during that round at work here? Maybe the TD failed to note the course difference in the results? I don't think this is it, because I can see that a 62 on the South course in the morning was a 951.

Just curious...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
That just comes down to overall sample size, though. One anomalous (good) round in a pool of 10 players may have a significant effect on the round ratings, but as sample size increases the effect gets smaller and smaller (as well as eventually cancelled out by anomalous (bad) rounds.

Also, players need to have at least 8 prior rated rounds in order to count as propagators for the SSA calculation, further diminishing the chances of them suddenly putting up a round 100 points above their rating. Statistically, ~90% of the time players shoot within +/- 30 of their rating.
jeverett's post is what popped into my mind when I read your OP.

How many players were at your event?

You probably don't/can't know this exactly, but how many PDGA "regulars" were there (those are the most likely propagators)?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Script View Post
I'm gonna chip in...

Sugaw is a great example as to why the ratings system is not as accurate as one would think. When the clash came, lower rated players played Sugaw. The lowest scores were 2 people with 50's (rating came out to around 980ish)

When the highest rated pros play there, they don't shoot in the mid to low 40s. It just doesn't happen. MJs handicap at this course is around a 47 and he plays at a 1030ish rating. It just doesn't make sense that 3 strokes is near a 50 point swing. Also, look at Worlds and previous tournaments there. A 49 is always a 1000 rated round, BUT NOT AT THE CLASH. You can blame whether all you want, but a few degrees difference doesn't change this course. You either play it well, or play it poorly. Hardly is there an in between.
In my opinion, one significant problem is the 'compression' formulas the PDGA uses to convert SSA into rating-point-per-throw: the formulas the PDGA uses are just incorrect. They use two linear formulas (based on the SSA), when instead they should be using the slope of the [probably] linear regression used to calculate the SSA itself. Just for reference, the way the 'compression' formulas work, the higher the SSA the smaller the rating-points-per-throw. So a course with a very low SSA (i.e. a very easy course) in the compression formula will come out with a value for rating-points-per-throw quite a bit more than 10.

From looking at data, the 'compression' formulas appear incorrect, for all events, inducing a small amount of error into all non-exactly-1000 rated rounds. For reference, I wrote up a lengthy post on the topic here previously:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=83596

Note: the post above includes a slight error with the SSA second-pass calculation.. the only rounds that should be dropped from the SSA calculation are those from players who's rounds (after the first-pass) are rated >60 points below their rating. This doesn't affect the conclusion, however: the 'compression' formulas are not accurately reflecting the relationship between player (initial) rating and scoring spread for an event/round.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post
I'm also anxiously awaiting to see what the official ratings for GBO will be. First two days were pristine conditions and my expectation would be that those rounds would be averaged... but on Sunday, the wind was steady at 35+ mph with gusts over 45 mph! There is no way the conditions on that day were anything close to the others... It would shock me to see that day averaged in with the other two days.
I would doubt that any of the GBO rounds are going to averaged considering that there was a completely different pool of players on each course each day.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:35 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
On the contrary, rounds by default will be averaged on the same layout at an event including Worlds for the week unless the wind is sufficiently different in one round to produce an SSA outside the normal variance range.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 155
Chuck, rounds that are below your average that are dropped?
Is it a # of standard deviations or a number of ratings points. Does the calculation take into account consistency?

For example:
Player A (975 rated) shoots 40 rounds of 975 golf. a 920 should be dropped.
Player B (975 rated)shoots 40 rounds 10@ 1030, 10@920, 20@975. A 920 shouldnt be dropped.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Chuck, rounds that are below your average that are dropped?
Is it a # of standard deviations or a number of ratings points. Does the calculation take into account consistency?

For example:
Player A (975 rated) shoots 40 rounds of 975 golf. a 920 should be dropped.
Player B (975 rated)shoots 40 rounds 10@ 1030, 10@920, 20@975. A 920 shouldnt be dropped.
Statistically, player B doesn't really exist. Chuck posted some values in the past, but propagators (players with at least 8 prior rated rounds) in general are more consistent than the player B exemplar. ~90% of the time, a player will shoot within +/- 30 points of their own rating, making the odds of a player B existing really really really tiny. Oh, also, the cutoff for exclusion in the SSA calculation was a round initially rated >60 points below the player's rating, so the 920 would be counted for both players.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:40 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
Yes. Your examples are accurate. It's 2.5 standard deviations below your rating average or 100 points whichever number is smaller.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 155
Darn, I was hoping my poor round + scoring error that is 51 pts below my rating would be dropped since it is farther than 2 stdev's away and no where near most of my scores.

Got to keep pumping out the 1000 rated rounds I guess.