Old 12-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Club conundrum

So I live in rural Indiana, in a county with one Disc Golf Course. I like the course, and it is about 15 minutes away, so I can play it pretty easily. However, the club that once was affiliated with the course dissolved about 2 years ago.

So here is my conundrum, I want to be apart of a club, I want to have some interaction with people on the disc golf course, as opposed to playing by myself 9 times out of 10. I would love to get into league play, doubles matches, tag matches, etc. So I am looking in the surrounding counties to see what clubs there are. I have found some, but I need some help picking, because none are perfect.

Club 1 - a club that is an hour away. They are affiliated with 4 courses, and are quite active but the drive means that I probably won't be able to be as involved.

Club 2 - this club is the closest by far, being only 20-25 minutes away. They are affiliated with only 1 course (a course I really enjoy by the way), but they don't seem as active.

Club 3 - Seems to be an active club with multiple league nights, the distance is in between the above two at about 40 minutes unless traffic is horrendous, and it has the potential to get really close if new courses are built in the western part of the county. Plus, I already know a couple guys who play regularly here. They have 3 courses in their county, but it seems like they center out of just one.

Club 4 & 5 - Theoretical options, but are more likely to be places I go for major events as the closest course to me is 45 minutes away, with the farthest being an hour and a half.

So, I guess the question that I am asking is, in terms of picking a club, would you choose the closest club with less members and courses, the more active club, with more courses but the longest drive, or do you go for the happy medium?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Have you thought about creating your own club?

Old 12-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: LHBH
Is there an interest in starting a new club at your course?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM
500 PDGA Certified Missed Aces Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 57
Or convince one of the other clubs to embrace your home course, and you could be the "active" member on that course. Great way to get more traffic to your course, if that's your thing.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
I have thought about trying to resurrect the old club or some form of the old club, but I don't know if I am ready for such a task. I think eventually this is the ideal answer, but as it stands now, I don't think I am equipped to do it. Mainly because I have never had the chance to experience a club environment, nor do I know what makes a good club work. I would like to spend some time in that environment myself before I invest myself in trying to replicate it. It seems like that would be best for everyone involved at least.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: LHBH
If you can't restart a league at your home course, I would get involved with club two. Show them your interested and try to get the league more active.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 169
Club 1 on Monday, Club 2 on Tuesday.....there, solved. All courses are nearly an hour away for me, now that is a conundrum.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:48 AM
500 PDGA Certified Missed Aces Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Club 1 on Monday, Club 2 on Tuesday.....there, solved. All courses are nearly an hour away for me, now that is a conundrum.
As a person lucky enough to have a course within Teebird driving distance (well maybe Teebird then Wizard), I couldn't even imagine having no courses within an hour. I feel for ya man.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 25
I'm an active, paid member of one club, (The HDGU) but will probably join at least one other this year (the Acers). We have a lot of good clubs in the area, and there's very few club-exclusive events.
My advice: join the club who will host the most events you plan to play in, or who has the best perks.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 19
i am a member of 3 clubs, and very active in 2 of those 3
doesnt have to be just 1