Old 07-02-2014, 08:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Save $ shipping discs thread

People have posted info and tips in various threads here and there, but I figured it's time we created a thread to share our collective knowledge and serve as a central location to find tips about how to save money shipping discs.

Please add meaningful info, links or discussion, but let's make an genuine effort to minimize chatter and keep the thread on topic... the more posts we have to sift through, the harder it is to find what you want. I'd like to start with:

Sick and tired of paying for tracking when you ship a single disc?
Ship the disc 1st class mail (about $3/disc, depending on how you package it), and don't purchase tracking.

I shipped these 1st class from two different post offices, and said "No thank you," when asked if I want tracking:

I don't think it's a fluke, I think tracking's included, period. They'll gladly charge you an additional $1.05 for it, but whether or not you pay for it is up to you. Try it next time you ship a single disc, and check the receipt for a tracking #. Not a big deal for a disc here or there, but when you have a busy thread in the MP, it adds up fast... like getting free disc or two.

By the time you ship two discs, you might as well go Priority Flat Rate envelope. You can ship a couple of drivers, (maybe even a couple of mids) in a paperboard 12-1/2" x 9-1/2" Flat Rate Envelope for $5.25 if you use the online option ($5.60 at the PO).

I've fit 3 mids (tight!) in a 12-1/2" x 9-1/2" Padded Flat Rate Envelope for $5.70 online, but you have to order these from the USPS.

Also want to share this link DikkaD provided in the VIP PIF thread.

If anyone has different/better ideas, let's hear'em!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
I agree with the flat rate envelope for 2-3 discs.
For 1 disc shipments I go to paypal.com/shipnow, and they allow you to print first class postage with tracking for $2.60ish for a parcel. Very convenient for me because I can print the label at work, grab envelope and tape from the office supply cabinet and drop it off in any mailbox and don't have to set foot in the PO.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:53 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 193
One simple tip is to reuse the packaging on discs you've purchased and/or traded for. Save the envelopes, boxes, etc.

:shrugsmiley:

I don't ship a ton, but when I do I don't pay for anything but the actual postal costs.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 36
In the last 18 months I've shipped 6,491 discs out of my ebay store, facebook groups, and not so much here anymore. I use the #4 poly bubble mailer from valuemailers.com (LINK) for 97% of those shipments (3% I use a box if they selected a box at checkout). I actually just placed another order for 2400 more of the mailers too. A single disc comes out to 7oz and 2 discs come out to 13oz which is the limit for 1st class. I've never had one single complaint about packaging out of all those shipments.

Ebay automatically gives me the internet shipping price which is $2.42 for a single disc and that automatically has tracking. If I sell something not on ebay, I definitely use the "secret" paypal shipping link every time.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
I agree with the flat rate envelope for 2-3 discs.
For 1 disc shipments I go to paypal.com/shipnow, and they allow you to print first class postage with tracking for $2.60ish for a parcel. Very convenient for me because I can print the label at work, grab envelope and tape from the office supply cabinet and drop it off in any mailbox and don't have to set foot in the PO.
Just went through the motions on paypal.com/shipnow; LOVE IT!
1) It's about 60 less than the Post Office for 1st class parcel.*
2) It allows you to print 1st class parcel labels and postage. The USPS.com site doesn't. USPS allows you to print for 1st class Mail Large Envelope, and Priority Mail, but for some reason 1st class parcel is "Not available" online... had to go to the Post Office.

Save $ and time?? Thanks!

* shipping USPS via PayPal.com/shipnow costs less than using the Post Office or USPS.com ...mind blown.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 18
Sam's Club is another good place to get bubble mailers. They come in boxes of 25. Can't remember the price. I think they were under $10.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

do the 'bubbles' in a bubble mailer even do anything to protect a disc specifically ?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangherity View Post
do the 'bubbles' in a bubble mailer even do anything to protect a disc specifically ?
Maybe someone will disagree, but I don't think they do much to protect a disc. The bubbles primarily cushion jostling and moderate impact during transit - that shouldn't do squat to a disc. But I can see how the additional thickness may help should something slightly piece or scratch the outer shell.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 58
I had three discs (mid/putter/driver) shipped to me a few weeks back in a bubble mailer envelope. The usps must have set something on them and the midrange left a unfixable groove in the putter. I will not ship that many discs in a bubble mailer ever again.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:02 PM

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 26
I think the primary benefit to bubble mailers is that they have some give and can accommodate larger discs, hard to fit large diameter discs in the flat rate envelopes. If you request them you can get the bubble mailer from USPS for free.