Disc Golf Store
Old 05-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
Drone

I am looking to buy a Drone, but I am not sure which type of plastic to go with. I am looking for a shorter version of a OS Z Nuke. If I go with a an FLX plastic will I compromise my over stability and break it in too quick? Is the Titanium too stiff to use practically? How much will summer heat factor into the stiffness of the Titanum plastic. How well does it keep it's dome? I have a z wasp that I really liked new, but after a year it has become too under stable. Experienced options wanted. Thanks
Old 05-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Butlertron View Post
I am looking to buy a Drone, but I am not sure which type of plastic to go with. I am looking for a shorter version of a OS Z Nuke. If I go with a an FLX plastic will I compromise my over stability and break it in too quick? Is the Titanium too stiff to use practically? How much will summer heat factor into the stiffness of the Titanum plastic. How well does it keep it's dome? I have a z wasp that I really liked new, but after a year it has become too under stable. Experienced options wanted. Thanks
I've been throwing FLX Drones for years. It really feels more like standard ESP than any other FLX mold I've seen. I've had no issues with durability despite finding plenty of trees.

I have no experience with Ti for comparison though.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
FLX is fine, don't worry, I can hardly imagine how a FLX Drone could ever become a straight flyer... My FLX Drone is from 2008, and it's the most overstable disc I own.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Birdie Member

Yeah the flx drones don't seem to really break in. I have a couple limited editions from 08 and they still fly very overstable. I even lost one in the water and got it back about a year later and it still flew the same. Best disc ever.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Birdie Member

I am excited about trying a ti drone though. Hopefully they are more overstable.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 44
Z are almost all overweight by PDGA rules. FLX are more overstable than Z as well. I have a Z with little use that stays straight with just a little too much power. The FLX only fly straight if i completely overpower it beyond the needs of the disc distance wise.(400' power, not the 300' i liked using drones for) They are not nearly as "floppy" as i thought they'd be. Feel nice in the hand (i hate flexible discs) I would definitely recommend the FLX Drones. Pro-D don't fly like a drone should in my opinion. Way too un-reliable
Old 05-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Birdie Member

While I too throw a FLX Drone, mine has developed an "anti-dome" (became concave on the top) and thus seemingly glides less than it had. Still is very over stable (FLX really doesn't IMO 'break in' that much) but am considering switching to a Z Drone LE (to match my throwing of my other discs...being Ch. or Z plastics).

Now if you're looking for your "shorter version of a OS Z Nuke", remember there are a LOT of very OS discs between the speeds of a Nuke OS and a Drone - and thus depending on how much 'shorter' you're looking for, you may want to consider a Flick, Predator, Firebird, XXX, Viper, etc. "in between" your state two.

Karl

Last edited by Karl; 05-03-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
^ Echoing much of the above: FLX Drones feel more like regular ESP than any other FLX discs I've held - not particularly flexible. Can't fathom beating it into straight flyer... ever (and it's seen more trees than I'd like to admit). Damned predictable disc.

As for it "not seeming to break" in as 77586 mentions, I'd say there's some truth to that, but at least in my case, I think that might be due to the limited use it has in my game personally. While it may be my "go to" disc for short to med shots where I need a strong hook or fade, or into a really stiff headwind, it's still a niche disc for me, and there are rounds where I never take it out of my bag, so it simply doesn't get the opportunity to beat in as fast as say my Buzzz, Comet, Beast, etc.

...but it's always in my bag.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 05-03-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 101
I have a CryZtal FLX Drone that I use and the thing is a beast. Flies like a dream and the plastic is gorgeous. It also doesn't give a rat's a** about any kind of wind.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
I think the flex drone is not as soft as other flex discs because of that huge mother of all fat rims.

And yes, they stay very overstable for ages.

If you are looking for something as stable as a NukeOS but not as fast, try the predator too. It's the most overstable fairway driver by Discraft ( as far as I know ) and flies much like the Innova Firebird.