Old 05-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: LHBH
Sigh... how I'm throwing these days

This is kind of a mixed bag of how I'm throwing lately.

The first 2 throws are pretty much my main throw that I rely on. No runup at all. I can get my Leopard and TL, for example, out to about 275-300' very consistently with good control. I've topped out at about 320 with my fairway drivers using this release.

Having said that, I don't think I'm using near enough legs and hips, so I've been trying to add that. The next few throws (starting at about :50) are me trying to drive from the hips. My accuracy goes all over the place, and I start having nose angle issues. I'm also losing distance, but I suspect I need to build up from here.

I'm also completely out of practice even attempting a runup, but I tried a few starting at about 2:15. I can definitely get a little more distance if I do a runup, but my accuracy is crap, and the nose angle and even release angle (hyzer/anhyzer) gets hard for me to control. I have a hard time getting a flat release.

I've hit over 400' several times in the past, but I'm trying to build it up so that I'm not gunslinging to get that kind of distance.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

What should I be focusing on here?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
One thing that I see that has helped me is to stagger your feet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWKl5c-vcJs
look at everyone feet in this video, their plant or lead foot so not inline with their back foot towards the target. I think that this will help you get your hips involved in your throw. It can also be seen in the "closed shoulder" drill that Sidewinder22 might post for you.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Arm looks better. Probably turning the shoulders a bit too far back relative to the hips now in the backswing. Now work on hips, they are spinning/falling out of leverage and snail is correct about closing the stance. You are shifting your weight from in front of you instead of behind you...

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Par Member

I'm actually concerned now that I may not be able to get the kind of power I want because of my right knee. (LHBH)

I tore the ACL a few years ago, and I still have issues with it. I'm actually pretty nervous about putting my right knee in a "reverse K" position with a lot of torque on it, cause that's awful similar to the motion of my tear, and even after all these years it's still sensitive to that movement.

Man, may have to hit up the rehab before I can really build up some confidence here.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailpowered View Post
One thing that I see that has helped me is to stagger your feet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWKl5c-vcJs
look at everyone feet in this video, their plant or lead foot so not inline with their back foot towards the target. I think that this will help you get your hips involved in your throw. It can also be seen in the "closed shoulder" drill that Sidewinder22 might post for you.
Mind=Blown!
even with Ulibarri's weird run up....looking forward to getting in the field with this.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDarkHorse View Post
I'm actually concerned now that I may not be able to get the kind of power I want because of my right knee. (LHBH)

I tore the ACL a few years ago, and I still have issues with it. I'm actually pretty nervous about putting my right knee in a "reverse K" position with a lot of torque on it, cause that's awful similar to the motion of my tear, and even after all these years it's still sensitive to that movement.

Man, may have to hit up the rehab before I can really build up some confidence here.
Looking at your current running x-step in the vid, I'd say you are putting more stress on your rear knee now, than you would with a properly executed slower x-step with more distance potential.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snailpowered View Post

This is a really interesting point that I hadn't really considered. I've actually discovered on my own that my accuracy is a little better when I put my leading foot forward a bit, but I just assumed that it was "wrong" and that I was compensating for something.

But now that you mention it, it is more like how your feet should be after an x step.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Looking at your current running x-step in the vid, I'd say you are putting more stress on your rear knee now, than you would with a properly executed slower x-step with more distance potential.
Yeah I wouldn't put a ton of stock in my x-step on that video. I really haven't actively used an x-step in about 2 months, and in the interim, my release has changed a lot. I almost don't even know what to do anymore on an x-step, so I'm just kind of punting that for later.

I figure I should figure out the feel of the weight shift and hip rotation before I start adding more variables.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Par Member

Old 05-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Video is private.