Old 01-29-2012, 06:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 416
GDBP's Funtime

Here are some videos I took earlier today when doing some fieldwork. It was about 31 degrees out, and windy, so I had a fleece on.

I was really just out there to work on my grip/nose down; I think I could tell the difference when I was getting the nose down... especially in the stiff tailwind.

I was throwing Ions, Ridges, a Summit and a VP around 200'-220', and getting the Meteor and 2 Comets out around 230-240'. Trying to keep it simple, had a few misfires but overall I was content with the lines and the overall accuracy. A few bad wrist rolls that I need to eliminate.

If anyone does provide some feedback, I don't need real technical advice, I need to start from the ground up. I feel like I am rotating the disc around my body; and not pulling in a straight line. Using my hips to drive my torso, and not having a circular pull, is tough for me to grasp.

If you don't want to provide feedback, feel free to ridicule.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Also, a quick question on the grip, does anyone actively tilt the forearm to force nose down on the disc? Like, Option A or Option B below. I bet Option B is a cop out to mask weight transfer issues...

Heck, do either of these look good?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Your self analysis is spot on with everything. 8.5 years of bad habits is gonna be tough to break, so get used to some different feelings in the throw. You are decelerating into the hit so all your footwork beyond a standstill is not helping you at this point other than for strong arming. Your balance, posture, and alignments are all out of whack. You are trying to throw your upper body forward off your rear heel instead of generating power through your core leading with the hips and off the inside of the rear foot.

Check out the vids in this thread and the one below:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...06#post1220206

Old 01-29-2012, 09:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
8.5 years of bad habits is gonna be tough to break
And how.

Quote:
all your footwork beyond a standstill is not helping you at this point other than for strong arming.
This makes a lot of sense. Trying to throw without a run-up feels strange, probably because it really hampers my ability to strong arm the disc. I am very comfortable doing one-step or no-step approach shots, I might have to compare my drives to my soft/easy approaches shots.

Quote:
Your balance, posture, and alignments are all out of whack.
For sure.

Quote:
You are trying to throw your upper body forward off your rear heel instead of generating power through your core leading with the hips and off the inside of the rear foot.
Yeah, I have struggled so, so much with nose up issues that I am really exaggerating the weight transfer. Hmmm... this is something that I am struggling with big time. It is just such an improvement over what I was doing that it is disheartening to hear.

That video with Colin makes a lot of sense; I get overwhelmed with all the information from the Beto vid, the hammer pound, Snap 2009, etc. Just learning the basics is a good start, no doubt.

Oh, and also, how does the grip look in those pics? I really need to get used to that too.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
The first grip pic looks better than the second. Grip is something I'm always messing with myself.

This should help you understand weight shift:
Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
You need a tripod
Old 01-29-2012, 11:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Ha, those were taken with my iPhone. I wasn't even planning on taking any footage when I was heading out the door. Once I get a little better I'll get some better equipment.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:52 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 191

I have a feeling with both of us starting to break down our backhand throws a couple of weeks before a tournament, we're screwed, partner.

That said, we gots ta do what we gots ta do.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 100
Yeah, your body doesn't look like it's into it at all.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:35 AM
* Ace Member *

No problem juke; I can revert to my old habits no problem. Hell, funny thing is, the last set I did felt pretty good, lol. Strong arming at it's finest I guess.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 158
You should've come out to Glen Ellyn today. Plenty of field work and plenty of wind!