Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: LHBH
Thanks... I fixed it.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Okay one thing im definitely not clear on. I've been trying to duplicate these golf drills into a disc golf throw. Where is the power ultimately originating from? Am I pushing off my back toe to initiate the weight shift, or pulling from mu hips/butt, a combination? Something completely different? I'm just not getting any power out of this. Even my "coordinated" drives are going about 200' with this.

I've got to be doing this completely wrong.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Your rear side just falls out of leverage like in the golf vid above. Your rear hip comes around instead through the shot and your front hip never braces/clears. You are also very jerky in the backswing, getting into Charles Barkley territory. Watch Moser do some standstills and how smooth everything is.

http://www.flyfeldberg.com/ - Watch Random Tip #1

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Par Member

Thunderstorming outside, so I tried some towel drills.

I watched the Feldberg video, so I'm trying to watch my leading hip more. Also trying to maintain the leverage on my rear leg so as not to fall out of leverage.

Also, the comparisons to Barkley are depressing, but I take heart in the fact that he's one of the greatest basketball players of all time and he sucks at this, too. Basketball is my primary sport, so I'm not used to these kinds of rotational movements. Sorry I suck, but I greatly appreciate the help.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Par Member

This ended up being my best throw distance wise today.

I was really trying to kind of thrust with my leading hip a la Random Tip #1 from Feldberg, but watching myself, I think I realized that I need to bend into my front knee more or something. Do you disagree? My balance is still pretty wacky, and accuracy is suffering a little as a result, but I was getting distance at least approaching what I'm used to doing this. (putters averaging about 240-250', Leopard out to about 275-300')

Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 PM
* Ace Member *

It's not nearly as bad as Barkley lol, but as you can see even the best of athletes have troubles with a swing. Lots of patience and persistence helps.

In your backswing you are shifting/moving your hips back over the rear heel and past your rear foot brace, you want to keep the hips more centered(not moving so much back and forth) between the insides of your feet and feel pressure over the instep(not the heel) of the rear foot and keep some flex in the rear knee so you can load tension into the rear hip. You also want to let your arm go with momentum in the backswing. The rear hip should actually move targetward(falling backward) during the top of the backswing/transition and you are moving it away from the target and then around forward instead of backward. Your front foot shouldn't really move either but the heel should be able to easily lift off the ground. You also spin your hips before your weight transfer through the front leg, so it's all wasted energy.

Some drills to help is to stand feet together and throw, this makes you clear the hips and learn how to use your weight with a centripetal pump. Also throwing off only the front leg, one leg drill. It's once you get your feet apart that opens a can of worms in the throw.

Another drill is feet together at address and move the rear leg backward in the backswing. Also those power sequence drills are really good, the second one helped me more where you start feet apart and move the front foot toward the side of the tee pad during the backswing. I can easily throw over 300' on the feet together and one leg drill, and over 350' on the power sequence drill(although I actually use this on the course). Another thing that may help is to do a huge windmill with your arm, so you bring your arm back over the head in the backswing and under going forward, over and over and time your weight shift to feel a pop where the disc wants to go targetward with heavy momentum.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Par Member

Okay, that was a great response. It's going to take some sinking in before I even understand everything you said, but I have a couple of followup questions that hopefully will help get me back on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You also want to let your arm go with momentum in the backswing.
You've said this several times, and I think I basically understand the principle, at least in terms of a regular golf swing. But I'm really not sure how to translate it into a disc golf backswing. I mean, I literally do not know what to do with my arm and when to get into the backswing properly from a timing and motion standpoint. I think this is one of the big things messing me up/holding me back.

Quote:
The rear hip should actually move targetward(falling backward) during the top of the backswing/transition and you are moving it away from the target and then around forward instead of backward.
I'm not sure I totally follow which way is forward/backward/etc in this statement. When you say targetward are you talking about the way the hip kind of settles in as you shift weight to your back leg? Kind of the way Shawn Clement describes it in the "Happy Gilmore" swing? I'm not totally sure what you're saying here but I'm guessing you mean I need to rotate more on the spot rather than shifting back and forth laterally as I rotate. Is that right?

Quote:
You also spin your hips before your weight transfer through the front leg, so it's all wasted energy.
This is a good timing tip. That helps.

Quote:
Another drill is feet together at address and move the rear leg backward in the backswing.
Feet together at address? Is that a typo? Or just a term I don't understand?

Quote:
Another thing that may help is to do a huge windmill with your arm, so you bring your arm back over the head in the backswing and under going forward, over and over and time your weight shift to feel a pop where the disc wants to go targetward with heavy momentum.
This sounds like something I want to try, but I want to make sure I understand. Should I start with my arm fully extended towards the target, and then windmill over my head and then behind me? Then I guess proceed as normal once I get it back to chest level behind me?

Thanks this is very useful.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDarkHorse View Post
Okay, that was a great response. It's going to take some sinking in before I even understand everything you said, but I have a couple of followup questions that hopefully will help get me back on the right track.

You've said this several times, and I think I basically understand the principle, at least in terms of a regular golf swing. But I'm really not sure how to translate it into a disc golf backswing. I mean, I literally do not know what to do with my arm and when to get into the backswing properly from a timing and motion standpoint. I think this is one of the big things messing me up/holding me back.
Yes, mostly because your transition from the backswing to the forward swing is screwed up with the weight transfer. The arm is just along for the ride in the backswing and the forward swing until I get into the power zone and my weight has mostly shifted to the front leg/heel/hip. My hips are bringing my arm back and forth. It's just like the sledgehammer/axe drill where you don't want to over-heave the backswing, you let momentum take hold and you only need to assist it.

Quote:
I'm not sure I totally follow which way is forward/backward/etc in this statement. When you say targetward are you talking about the way the hip kind of settles in as you shift weight to your back leg? Kind of the way Shawn Clement describes it in the "Happy Gilmore" swing? I'm not totally sure what you're saying here but I'm guessing you mean I need to rotate more on the spot rather than shifting back and forth laterally as I rotate. Is that right?
This is why explaining stuff in words is difficult, but you are correct. You are moving your body too far back over the rear leg, instead of loading into the rear leg and hip. The last vid of yours in the title photo, you are too over top your rear leg, you should be more squatted into your rear leg/hip.

Quote:
This is a good timing tip. That helps.
Tis the basis of all throwing motions. Unfortunately it's also one of the hardest things to master.

Quote:
Feet together at address? Is that a typo? Or just a term I don't understand?
Yes feet together as a drill. No typo. Address is basically your stance and aim/focus before the throw. You should address your shot before you throw.

Quote:
This sounds like something I want to try, but I want to make sure I understand. Should I start with my arm fully extended towards the target, and then windmill over my head and then behind me? Then I guess proceed as normal once I get it back to chest level behind me?

Thanks this is very useful.
It's a perpetual motion drill. I'd start with the arm hanging down and then wagging you arm back and forth a little, and then get bigger and bigger, and then bring it backward over your head and down under forward over and over again. You should feel where the disc has some heavy momentum and wants to pop out. I'd start this drill with feet together and then move your feet apart after getting the feel of it.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Par Member

Okay, so I ran out for my lunch break before I saw your response, but here's a video of what I was practicing today based on what you had posted before. I started off kind of trying to simulate the golf club perpetual motion drill. (don't actually own a club, but was using a grabby thing I use to fetch discs out of the water)

I was also trying to keep the weight on the inside of my back foot to start, not get too far over on the back foot, rotate/move my butt more towards the target, shifting my weight over to the lead foot before beginning hip rotation, delaying the hip rotation as long as possible, and still maintaining some semblance of correct upper body release.

I'm not sure if there was a single throw that I actually remembered and executed any of that successfully, but mostly I'm just trying to get a feel for the correct movement and start to build up some muscle memory. My distances were reasonable considering this is all pretty new for me. Was getting my Leopard up to about 300' and occasionally I could "feel it" to a degree, but definitely still need a lot of work.

Taking and watching videos of myself definitely helps in and of itself as well. I definitely noticed last week that I was being too stiff with my legs, and that I need to bend my knees and "get down" into the throw somewhat, although I certainly can't define why or spot specific things like someone who really knows what they're talking about.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Video feedback is very helpful for yourself. You might feel like you do one thing, but see something totally different. I was shocked when I first saw my throw on video. More knee bend will help and leaning/tilting slightly more over your toes. You also get stuck throwing on your rear leg axis, so that's the weight transfer issue again and braced tilt.

You should only be using your throwing arm on that drill and go slower at the tops to really exaggerate the rhythm back and forth and let your body pivot freely. Let the arm hang loose and you should get a better connection with the legs, and really go slow and more range of motion of the arm/disc from front to back. Let gravity do it's work bringing the disc down(falling) and then you add to it as you feel the weight of the disc. Just like if you were standing on a swing and timing your squat pump to get higher and higher. Not sure what discs you are throwing, but something somewhat under stable and slow is good so you can throw off a hyzer/golf plane.