Old 07-02-2014, 01:49 PM

Quitting Team Trilogy

Let me give you a little back story. I've never been much of an athlete, but I'd been disc golfing before with my friends (they call it frolfing) and used their discs. A couple years ago I decided to get a few discs of my own. I asked my friends what to get and they said swedish plastic was best. So I went out and got a Pure, Core, River and Halo. It wasn't too long after that my friends and I discovered Westside and I also got a Sword and a King.

Now, I'm generally the type of person who likes to think carefully before I buy something. I'm not a cheapskate, but I don't like to spend money just for the sake of spending money. But there was something about how this plastic looked and felt that lured me in.

Fast forward to the present. Now Dynamic Discs is on the scene. I'm in the Lat 64 facebook group, I've joined team trilogy. My collection has grown embarrasingly large. I've got a disc for just about any situation but I never know which one to throw or even how to throw any of them. New discs come out so quickly that often the ones I just bought are obsolete.

A week or two ago I went out to play a round and winds were 20 mph and gusting even higher. Courses around here are pretty wide open. None of my discs held up, nothing. And I carry a Stilletto for such situations, but I really don't have the arm for it. And I got to thinking, is that really the answer, a speed 14 is the only thing that will hold up in the wind? After I got home that night I got pretty depressed. I mean, I've bought all these discs and it hasn't done anything for me.

Over the next week, I gave the whole business some serious thought. And I got really pissed at myself for being such a fool. I mean of course they are going to tell me everything they make is the next best thing, because I will give them money for it. And the facebook group and the team only takes the misinformation one step further, looking at it now, its disgusting.

So I decided I've had enough. I love disc golf, but I do not love how commercial it has become. I'm selling off most of my collection. I'm done being a walking advertisement.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 414

There's "The Truth"

*frowns, shakes head*

and, "The Truth!"

*smiles, nods head*
Old 07-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.3
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHFH
So, is this like the opposite of a "sponsor me" video?
Old 07-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Old 07-02-2014, 01:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: -0.3
Courses Played: 22
Best first post I have read yet
Old 07-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 33
Trilogy makes some fine discs. Really it's more the archer then the arrow. Wind can be tricky if you're inexperienced. Just my opinion. What about the Scythe, Enforcer, XXX. Not stable enough into a headwind? Should be.

My Verdict and Suspect are great discs. I throw mostly Innova but I just throw what I like, a widely mixed bag.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 56
As far as the discs not working for you, you have to put in the time man. You have to practice, practice, practice. While there are some discs there that you may not need in the end, there are some really solid ones that you just need to learn what they do and work on your form/technique to get to the point that they "do" that. In my eyes it's hard to say that a "disc" failed you unless there is something physically wrong with it. Put some more time in and just wait, you'll see the difference............
Old 07-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsesmonkey View Post
Let me give you a little back story. I've never been much of an athlete, but I'd been disc golfing before with my friends (they call it frolfing) and used their discs. A couple years ago I decided to get a few discs of my own. I asked my friends what to get and they said swedish plastic was best. So I went out and got a Pure, Core, River and Halo. It wasn't too long after that my friends and I discovered Westside and I also got a Sword and a King.

Now, I'm generally the type of person who likes to think carefully before I buy something. I'm not a cheapskate, but I don't like to spend money just for the sake of spending money. But there was something about how this plastic looked and felt that lured me in.

Fast forward to the present. Now Dynamic Discs is on the scene. I'm in the Lat 64 facebook group, I've joined team trilogy. My collection has grown embarrasingly large. I've got a disc for just about any situation but I never know which one to throw or even how to throw any of them. New discs come out so quickly that often the ones I just bought are obsolete.

A week or two ago I went out to play a round and winds were 20 mph and gusting even higher. Courses around here are pretty wide open. None of my discs held up, nothing. And I carry a Stilletto for such situations, but I really don't have the arm for it. And I got to thinking, is that really the answer, a speed 14 is the only thing that will hold up in the wind? After I got home that night I got pretty depressed. I mean, I've bought all these discs and it hasn't done anything for me.

Over the next week, I gave the whole business some serious thought. And I got really pissed at myself for being such a fool. I mean of course they are going to tell me everything they make is the next best thing, because I will give them money for it. And the facebook group and the team only takes the misinformation one step further, looking at it now, its disgusting.

So I decided I've had enough. I love disc golf, but I do not love how commercial it has become. I'm selling off most of my collection. I'm done being a walking advertisement.
-Its not the discs fault you are having trouble with the wind.
-Elaborate on "commercial"
Old 07-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 56
And throw what works for you bro, regardless of manufacturer...........

Old 07-02-2014, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.4
Courses Played: 80
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Team Trilogy is just a bunch of misunderstood disc golfers. They're OK, it's everyone else that's confused.