Old 01-24-2015, 07:33 PM

Foot Golf = Footgolf = Soccer Golf = Football Golf

Played with standard soccer balls and 21 diameter holes in the ground, almost entirely, intentionally, on pre-existing traditional golf courses.

Typical foot golfer can kick a ball ~65 yards, less than 200 feet.

FootgolfTM seems to be a heavily funded, intentional effort to capture a new, hybrid sport and confine it to traditional golf course properties. The same game, without the trademark, has a number of names: Foot Golf, Soccer Golf, and Football Golf. Those who own the trademark are discouraging stand-alone foot golf courses not on a pre-existing traditional golf course.

I can see disc golf courses where this fits right in and am designing two, right now. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2015, 08:15 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
No.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 33
If you are designing two courses I say have one with Foot Golf and one without. This way you can see what kind of crowd the foot golf attracts and how will FGers and DGers jive. I seem to be turning into an old man, but I think that FG may attract a lot of "punk teenagers" that some of the more mellow DGers may not want to be around. I can also see these same people potentially causing damage to teesigns and baskets. I think my friends in those days would have. I have better friends now.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:36 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
If you are designing two courses I say have one with Foot Golf and one without. This way you can see what kind of crowd the foot golf attracts and how will FGers and DGers jive. I seem to be turning into an old man, but I think that FG may attract a lot of "punk teenagers" that some of the more mellow DGers may not want to be around. I can also see these same people potentially causing damage to teesigns and baskets. I think my friends in those days would have. I have better friends now.
Been to a foot golf course near a disc golf course around here, that was my observation. I'm sure there are good kids out there partaking in the sport...they just weren't playing that day. It attracts mob golf like nothing else I've ever seen.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 121
I'm dubious.

At least for the courses that come to mind. They mostly involve all kinds of elevation changes, which of course affect balls. Especially on greens. They also have curving fairways; footgolf would require, at the least, lots of laying up to corners. A few require water carries.

Of course, you can design a disc golf course to suit footgolf....but it seems it would diminish the disc golf course by excluding such features.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:58 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
I'm dubious.

At least for the courses that come to mind. They mostly involve all kinds of elevation changes, which of course affect balls. Especially on greens. They also have curving fairways; footgolf would require, at the least, lots of laying up to corners. A few require water carries.

Of course, you can design a disc golf course to suit footgolf....but it seems it would diminish the disc golf course by excluding such features.
Which is why ball golf goes well with foot golf, both require flat fairways and greens.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark996 View Post
Which is why ball golf goes well with foot golf, both require flat fairways and greens.
Ummm.... apparently you haven't watched the masters. The only part of that golf course that is flat are the tee boxes.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 37
I've heard of this. Seems very similar to disc golf, just WAY easier.

I say anything that gets people to put down their phones, get off the couch, and get outside to enjoy time spent with other people on a personal level is very much worthwhile. Go on wit'cho bad self.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:40 PM
* Ace Member *

They did a story on HBO real sports, or Showtime 60 minutes sports(cant remember which) a couple months ago, where this guy is trying to get the people back out to the golf course. Golf courses have been closing in large numbers all over the country last several years. He had starting an experiment using giant holes on the greens instead of the normal 4 1/4 inch cups. His idea was if you can make more birdies it might be more fun, and therefore bring in more people. As a by product, he was also letting people play footgolf on the course since the cups were large enough for soccer balls to fall into.

Was definitely HBO now that I think about it. I can remember Bryant Gumble telling the guy that golf is supposed to be hard, lol.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 01-24-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
They did a story on HBO real sports, or Showtime 60 minutes sports(cant remember which) a couple months ago, where this guy is trying to get the people back out to the golf course. Golf courses have been closing in large numbers all over the country the last several years. He had started an experiment using giant holes on the greens instead of the normal 4 1/4 inch cups. His idea was if you can make more birdies it might be more fun, and therefore bring in more people. As a by product, he was also letting people play footgolf on the course since the cups were large enough for soccer balls to fall into.

Was definitely HBO now that I think about it. I can remember Bryant Gumble telling the guy that golf is supposed to be hard, lol.
Man my typing is so bad, lol. Spent so much time fixing typos that I ran out.