Old Today, 01:53 AM
Officially Retired

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 226
Throwing Style: RHFH
Do Bright Colored Discs Matter?

So many people in this game make sure they buy brightly colored discs so they can find them. I'm not saying this isn't sound reasoning its just that people lose discs and then blame it on the disc color when in reality this isn't usually the case. I've had the same old dark (DARK) red disc that I throw all the time and as soon as I'm looking for it others in my group give me a look like 'I told you so'. Thing is I've never lost this disc in 5+ years of throwing it and most of the time I have to look for it it's because I didn't watch the entire flight of the disc and ending up looking for it in the wrong spot and then eventually found it. I think the only time it really matters is in times of weaning light; dawn/dusk. Seems to me if you search in the correct area you find the disc no matter the color.
Sponsored Links
Old Today, 02:03 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 19
It's not that I can't find the dark discs. It's that I spend less time looking for the bright ones, and more time playing disc golf.

Throw pink!
Old Today, 02:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnow View Post
It's not that I can't find the dark discs. It's that I spend less time looking for the bright ones, and more time playing disc golf.

Throw pink!
QFT. The amount of time I've spent looking for black discs (PDGA Membership), green and dark blue discs is time I could have been throwing.

Personal favorite colors: orange, then pink and yellow.
Old Today, 02:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
Many of the courses I play have lots of undergrowth and bushes. If a disc lands upright deep in a bush, it is much easier to see a bright pink disc over a green or faded yellow disc.
Old Today, 04:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
In Upstate SC a lot of courses have thick undergrowth, typically filled with thorns etc, off the fairway; you REALLY don't want to spend time searching in there if you can help it. There's also usually leaves from several past autumns still on the fairway, and discs love to slide under these. It's also a lot easier to spot brightly colored discs than it is to spot dark ones, ESPECIALLY when the disc is 80%+ covered in dark brown leaves. I'm not saying it's impossible to find darkly colored discs, it's just a whole lot more frustrating versus brightly colored discs, and typically takes longer as well. However, I do bag a cranberry colored TL that has a subtle swirl on the flight plate. I've been frustrated a couple times looking for it, but it looks so cool and flies so great that I'm willing to spend the time looking for it.

So I would say that brightly colored discs do matter, and that it's probably better to have mostly those kinds of discs in your bag because they are much easier to find, but if you find a cool/perfect disc that's darkly colored, go ahead and throw it.

However, the bigger issue to me is tye-dye discs. You have to be really particular about which designs you pick, because some act a lot like camouflage, especially in vines or leaves.
Old Today, 04:38 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 5
Blue is a good colour as well, at least over here. The only other place that is blue is a lake or sea.
Old Today, 04:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
I like it when people searching for discs in a group (for example tournament) keep asking what color it is. It's a round piece of plastic, and there are probably not two of them in the same area. So just keep looking.

But yes, I too buy mainly bright colors.
Old Today, 05:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 51
It makes no difference what color a disc is when I throw courses overflowing with unchecked vegetation and/or blind basket shots. If I can help it I'll only buy, in no specific order of preference, yellow, orange, red, or pink. I'd literally replace one of my colorful discs with one that has a leaf pattern if there is enough urgency though
Old Today, 07:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHFH
Bright colors good. Dark colors bad.

Old Today, 07:25 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RistoS View Post
Blue is a good colour as well, at least over here. The only other place that is blue is a lake or sea.
Shadows are blue, especially when the light filters through greenery.