Old 06-12-2013, 03:41 AM

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 2
Send a message via AIM to jmacphee9
Throwing almost the same distance without a run up.

i have been working to increase my drive distance lately, so i have been watching plenty of youtube video's to increase distance but i havent found one to help me with this problem.

ive gone to the field twice in the last week, and my drive has been hitting 300 with no x step or anything. stand still, 0-step, with drivers. i think i have decent arm speed, but my max toss with a step is only 350 on a good day, i threw one on the field 370 and i believe it is the farthest ive ever thrown a disc.

to sum it up, i can throw 290-300 with no step at all, and can max at 350 with a full X step.

is this all the step adds? how can i increase my distance by getting more of my legs, shoulders, and core into it? videos would be great. thanks for any help!
Old 06-12-2013, 04:42 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
That actually sounds about right for your distance with and without the x-step. I'm not the resident teaching guru, but I'd suspect your problem to be timing and getting the elusive "hit".
Old 06-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
i have been working to increase my drive distance lately, so i have been watching plenty of youtube video's to increase distance but i havent found one to help me with this problem.

ive gone to the field twice in the last week, and my drive has been hitting 300 with no x step or anything. stand still, 0-step, with drivers. i think i have decent arm speed, but my max toss with a step is only 350 on a good day, i threw one on the field 370 and i believe it is the farthest ive ever thrown a disc.

to sum it up, i can throw 290-300 with no step at all, and can max at 350 with a full X step.

is this all the step adds? how can i increase my distance by getting more of my legs, shoulders, and core into it? videos would be great. thanks for any help!
Reach back all the way, so your shoulders are almost facing 180 degrees from the line you want to throw. To reach back this far, your hips will have to rotate back as well to stay balanced, maybe trailing your shoulders by 45 degrees. Then as your plant foot comes down (if you are doing a run up), your hips/legs should start the rotation forward. Then your chest/shoulders, then the elbow/forearm straight across your chest, followed by the disc. The power comes from the deep reach back that causes your whole body to wind-up and store energy. Gettting this down to a smooth, natural flow is vital because it will allow you to focus all the stored energy into the moment of release.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 33
This video really helped me to work out the kinks in my drive hope it can help you too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cUNsWOYSI
Old 06-12-2013, 01:47 PM

Courses Played: 2
Send a message via AIM to jmacphee9
thanks guys. ballinger thats a real nice video, ill hit the practice fields later today.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:01 AM

Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by davistd0 View Post
Reach back all the way, so your shoulders are almost facing 180 degrees from the line you want to throw. To reach back this far, your hips will have to rotate back as well to stay balanced, maybe trailing your shoulders by 45 degrees. Then as your plant foot comes down (if you are doing a run up), your hips/legs should start the rotation forward. Then your chest/shoulders, then the elbow/forearm straight across your chest, followed by the disc. The power comes from the deep reach back that causes your whole body to wind-up and store energy. Gettting this down to a smooth, natural flow is vital because it will allow you to focus all the stored energy into the moment of release.
Listen to this guy.

Think of it as "loading the spring" when you twist. This helped me understand what was going on much better.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by davistd0 View Post
What he said.
Also what helped me was:

What Scott Papa says...the runup is not to gain any speed..its to get your body in the right position to throw...the run up can be a walk up and it shouldn't matter much, it's those last two steps to the plant...your back should be basically to your target, then plant and pullthrough....
Old 06-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 35
A deep reach back isn't absolutely necessary. Watch Paul McBeth. He doesn't really "reach back", he actually rotates around his disc so that his disc ends up behind him. Hard to explain, but I started doing this and my distance increased drastically. Look up Paul McBeth slow motion on YouTube.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscNutt123 View Post
A deep reach back isn't absolutely necessary. Watch Paul McBeth. He doesn't really "reach back", he actually rotates around his disc so that his disc ends up behind him. Hard to explain, but I started doing this and my distance increased drastically. Look up Paul McBeth slow motion on YouTube.
On a controlled distance shot

On a max distance shot (with 360 spin)

Old 06-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscNutt123 View Post
Your right its not and its not something I can do even..the farther I reach back at this point the more it messes up my timing. At this point even a run up kind of messes with my timing