Old 05-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Tell me about the Wizard!

I'm currently using McPro Aviars, and I really like them. They are strictly for putting, tho. I'm using Envys for driving and upshots etc. However, I've heard a lot about this almighty Wizard. I've got no clue about this infamous putter, and I would like to know everything there is to know about it. Is there anyone that are able to compare it to the Envy? The rim, how shallow/deep it is etc.

Just tell me everything!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2014, 08:02 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 13
It's not as sleek as the Envy and slightly less OS. It's going to have better glide in baseline plastic and they season like Rocs in the sense that they start out fairly OS and work into all kinds of stability. If you like KC/McPro I'd recommend a Soft (not really Soft, rather firm, their plastic varies from runs. SS= DX, IMO) or an Eraser25 or Medium if you can find it. I've lost all my Mediums/G9i's (the firmest, illegally firm apparently) and now settle for the E25 and firmer Softs. I think they have slightly less fade than a KC Aviar (maybe due to an equal radius at the parting line that gives it a nice feel in the hand) but they are similar in depth and bead size.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 27
I would suggest getting your first Wizard in SS. It'll start off flying very straight, with a healthy fade. As it ages, it'll just be straight from hand to basket. If you can chuck one fairly far, (220-250') you might see a smidge of turn. I also find that Evo wizards (think Champ plastic) are less glidey, and the softer blends (4S, RFF) are more OS than the stiffer blends.
Erasers are just amazing in the hand. Kinda tacky, feels more controllable. I've tacoed one, bent it back and now it's slightly US.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMonier18 View Post
It's not as sleek as the Envy and slightly less OS. It's going to have better glide in baseline plastic and they season like Rocs in the sense that they start out fairly OS and work into all kinds of stability. If you like KC/McPro I'd recommend a Soft (not really Soft, rather firm, their plastic varies from runs. SS= DX, IMO) or an Eraser25 or Medium if you can find it. I've lost all my Mediums/G9i's (the firmest, illegally firm apparently) and now settle for the E25 and firmer Softs. I think they have slightly less fade than a KC Aviar (maybe due to an equal radius at the parting line that gives it a nice feel in the hand) but they are similar in depth and bead size.
Do they typically say 9Gi or E25 on them? I'm looking to pick one up soon to try out, and would like to know what I'm looking at when I go to my local shop.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Par Member

How does it feel in the hand? Can it compare to a Roc? Or an Aviar?

I'm completely blank on the plastics, can someone give me a quick introduction? I'm used to Innova, if that helps in any way.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungedude42 View Post
If you can chuck one fairly far, (220-250') you might see a smidge of turn.
I can get my Envy to 310' when I get it right. Will this be a problem?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 15
Fairly close to an Aviar a bit beefier than the standards, though I'd say more like the Discraft Challenger. As far as texture there is a wide range to choose from. I tended to like the RFF chalky plastic since they were firm with plenty of grip. But they beat in quickly. The evolution is the most durable. Definitely a "throwable" putter. Nikko Lacastro (not sure I spelled that right) used them for a long time not sure if he still does but was one of the best putters I've seen. Might look up some youtube videos.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHFH
I find the Wizard more difficult to power grip than a Zone/Envy type of disc because of the depth/bead. A fresh Wizard could handle 300' power but would need more height than the Envy to get there.

In my experience:
Soft = KC Pro/McPro type plastic great for cycling
SS = soft KC or DX depending on the SS blend
SSS = soft DX
rFF = not sure because I don't throw them this soft, maybe R-pro but more durable? Floppy for sure.
Eraser = great blend. S/SS flex depending on the type of Eraser blend but very tacky and beat in great.

Evo wizards have less glide, are generally more OS and don't grab chains for anything.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:33 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHFH
Many feel like the Wizard is one of the best putters off the tee. Don't limit yourself to only putts with this disc! It's fairly stable and I generally use mine for most shots within 150' or a bit further if I have a downhill look. Inside the cirlce I use a Magic which I wish I would have discovered earlier. It's basically a Wizard without a bead (very neutral) and serves as my main putter for most everything inside of 50'.

Plastics vary greatly so if you have a feel that you're going for, I might recommend shopping for them in person (if possible). Super soft is middle of the road in terms of grip and flexibility: a great plastic to get started with. Gateway is known for being very helpful to customers and you can call the factory to order discs directly if you need to describe what you're looking for. I'd be willing to bet that Wizards will find a spot in your bag if you give them a fair chance. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 18
The RFF Wizard is a juicy disc. I ordered a SSS Wizard and wondered why it wasn't soft. Then I ordered a RFF Wizard and wondered why it wasn't called a SSS Wizard. My recommendation..... RFF Wizard.