Old 09-02-2013, 08:06 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
I'm currently using an Eclipse Anode as my stable driving putter. How does the Ion compare to the Anode for driving?
Ions are beaded and makes them harder to throw consistently as anodes will iron out in their flight an ION will not as much. Anodes truly are stable putters and like to fly straight.

Ion's fade more/earlier, maybe are even are a little slower in regards to driving the anode really seems to fly far with little effort and with some good spin it really is a lazer beam where ION will dump off. Also bad shots will be exaggerated throwing the ION (due to the bead)

I have a very hard time picking between them and really boils down to feel IMO.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:08 PM
*Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 17
A bead does not make the ion harder to throw, nor does a bead exaggerate a bad throw.

The feel may be uncomfortable to some people. other than that,

A bead will allow you to put more power into a throw and the disc should hold the line you put it on longer. A Beaded putter should also stay flying the same for a longer period of time, added durability. More Wind Resistance.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:45 PM

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 15
I'm not sure how accurate your claims about what a bead does are, but it seems like holding the line you put it on longer could definitely exaggerate a bad throw, compared to a disc that pulls off of that line sooner.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 19
His claims are not credible at all.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:14 PM

Josh, Feel free to try and prove me wrong. oh wait, you don't even throw an Ion.

Also you have been playing disc golf for 1.8 years and your PDGA rating suggests your a recreational level disc golfer, thanks for your experienced and credible input.

Keep posting to get your Post count up though, maybe when you have 1000 posts someone will listen to you.

@_@
Old 09-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 19
I've owned and thrown multiple Ions and Anodes. At one point my bag was entirely MVP. I can throw an Anode as hard as I want and get a straight flight. Also, never had any issue throwing an Anode in the wind. Also, also, you've been playing for 8 years and you still can't get anyone to listen to you.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:30 PM

Welcome to the internet,

Listen to no one, believe nothing unless you can prove it yourself, do your own research.

BTW, Cool story bro.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 103
From Ion vs Anode thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I can certainly understand why people prefer Ions, however I choose the Anode. I prefer the feel of the Anode in the hand and I appreciate the later fade and better glide. Mostly I drive Neutrons and putt softs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
I've gone back and fourth between both molds and hit great shots with them but still am confused on which to settle for. Their differences are very minimal in regards to putting with only a small difference in the LSS and like many here have pointed out, its the feel which is the most noticeable change between the two.

Discspeed- when was the last time you putted with IONs? Curious how/why you are sticking with Anodes. I feel like you can shape lines better with the ION, specially forced anny and flex shots with straight lazers being the only thing the Anode excels in-- plus a little OATy release on the ION and it flies just as straight. I am thinking about taking IONs out (again) and giving the anode another run really just for fun. I started out with one of each in my bag but that just seemed weird and still wanted 2 of one mold in there.

I am not picky when it comes to my putters I guess. If anyone has a soft anode they want to dump for another MVP hit me up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I've always got some Ions in my practice putter stack. With my spin/push hybrid putt the Ion drops faster/glides less. It also has a dumpy fade compared to the forward push of the Anode. The Anode is every bit as versatile as the Ion...I use them for hyzers, flat shots, and anhyzers. They can also do flex shots once you get a feel for them (some Anodes have more fade than others, I like high shouldered/slightly domey ones for this).

As far as OAT is concerned I find the Anode MUCH more forgiving than the Ion. A big bead makes it tougher for a disc to get back on axis. I often see a micro amount of OAT on my Anode shots (esp FH) that immediately iron out to a smooth spin. I don't want to use OAT for a straight drive...If I throw too hard with OAT things can go wrong in a hurry.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:17 PM

Those are posts from 2 people.. and one of them is your own.

I could easily quote 10 more posts that say the contrary.. but im not going to bother with DGCR anymore tonight.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 PM
* Ace Member *

i had a long reply typed out but this is better fitted for this conversation here.
Closed Thread