Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 AM

Advice for a tourney on a new course?

Hey friends! I'm playing a tournament that's 3 hours away and won't be able to get out there to practice. I know this isn't ideal, but I just want to play.

Any advice for someone playing a course for the first time? I realize I won't do that great, but any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Play YOUR game! Play your confidence game. Don't try and follow locals, just walk up to the tee and pick the line best suited for your game. If you have time, walk the course before the round. Look from tee to basket, and basket to tee. Find your lines and stick with them. My best tournament round was at a course I had never played before. It's actually still a course record I believe.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 75
Try to get there early and at least walk the course. For some of the trickier holes, throw one or two tee shots. Don't waste time trying to clean up, just get a feel for how the hole plays from the tee and move on.

If you get paired with a local, don't be afraid to ask layout questions.

I play a lot of tournaments where I'm seeing the course for the first time on tourney day. It's not as much of a handicap as you might think it is.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 317
Having had to play a tournament round blind before, I can honestly say that it sucks, but it usually sucks a little less after lunch.

Any chance you have to practice drives on the course the day before or morning of I'd take advantage of, even if you don't get all of the holes in.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

I guess I have a different opinion than these guys ^^

Most tournaments I've played blind were good tournaments for me. Mainly because I've never made a mistake on any hole so those mistakes wouldn't play through your mind while you're on the tee.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 127
I kind of like it when I play a tourney blind. I play a lot more conservative off of the tee which means that I make fewer mistakes. After the first round, you can go through and see where you may be able to pick up some strokes taking riskier shots and move up the payout in the subsequent rounds.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscNutt123 View Post
Play YOUR game! Play your confidence game. Don't try and follow locals, just walk up to the tee and pick the line best suited for your game. If you have time, walk the course before the round. Look from tee to basket, and basket to tee. Find your lines and stick with them. My best tournament round was at a course I had never played before. It's actually still a course record I believe.
This is the best advice^^. If you have time, walk as much of the course as possible. Don't waste time throwing holes just to "figure them out". Trust that you already have the shots in your bag. Familiarize yourself with the terrain first and foremost. IMO, better to get a look at 15 of 18 holes than try to play them and only get to 6 or 7 of 18 holes.

Play the first round conservatively. Throw shots you are familiar and comfortable with even if it seems like the other players are taking more aggressive and successful lines. Reassess after round 1 if need be.

And don't be afraid to ask locals for hints and tips, particularly in identifying OB areas or areas where you just don't want to be.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscNutt123 View Post
I guess I have a different opinion than these guys ^^

Most tournaments I've played blind were good tournaments for me. Mainly because I've never made a mistake on any hole so those mistakes wouldn't play through your mind while you're on the tee.
I dont think your advice of "play your own game (i.e. play to your strengths as I read it) is mutually excusive of what Brad and Scarp said. They're just pointing out that it makes sense to see how the course plays from the tees (to the extent one can) before the tourney starts. Doesn't make sense to finsh those practice holes out if time is limited.

I think both are solid advice: get a feel for the line you can execute the best off the tee playing your game to set yourself up for success. Should give you more confidence on the tee during the round(s).

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 06-05-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Double Eagle Member

My first post I said to walk the course and look from tee to basket and vice versa. More of disagreeing with scarp saying it sucks playing blind...because it really doesn't.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 41
I just get there really early and try to play most of the course before the tourney starts. And I always play better I've I've gotten a round or most of one in beforehand.