Old 05-31-2013, 10:29 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 3
Retail question-Innova

I was just at Dick's looking to see if they had anything good (all dx plastic and Champ monarchs like usual ), but it raised the question, why doesn't Dick's carry Discraft stuff? Or for that matter, why don't sports stores in general carry Discraft (like Sports Athority and others)? Is it because they have a deal with Innova or because they think it's more popular? I was just curious as to why that was.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1discChallenge View Post
I was just at Dick's looking to see if they had anything good (all dx plastic and Champ monarchs like usual ), but it raised the question, why doesn't Dick's carry Discraft stuff? Or for that matter, why don't sports stores in general carry Discraft (like Sports Athority and others)? Is it because they have a deal with Innova or because they think it's more popular? I was just curious as to why that was.
Probably just because Innova is more popular. Even seasoned players around here don't know much else than Innova.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Par Member

Wouldn't doubt it if Innova gives an extra special deal to certain 'mainstream' retailers for exclusive placement of their discs in said stores.

</tinfoilhat>
Old 05-31-2013, 10:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.9
Courses Played: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic cannon View Post
Probably just because Innova is more popular. Even seasoned players around here don't know much else than Innova.
Well, I think that is more of a regional issue. Discraft is as popular with pro's and am's alike in Michigan. Of course they are made here. I think the Dick's issue is more likely one of a contract. Why does Dick's carry Merrill's, but not, for example sake, Columbia.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 30
Dick's sucks, that's why. Here in Texas Academy carries DC, I remember they had some Z Buzzzzzzzes for 10 or 11 bucks not too long ago.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Well, I think that is more of a regional issue. Discraft is as popular with pro's and am's alike in Michigan. Of course they are made here. I think the Dick's issue is more likely one of a contract. Why does Dick's carry Merrill's, but not, for example sake, Columbia.
Ah good point.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:05 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 15
I would guess that Innova gives Dicks some special pricing to be the only brand that they carry....
Old 05-31-2013, 11:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1discChallenge View Post
Because disc golf isn't popular enough for big box stores to order from multiple sources (it doesn't bring in enough profit to warrant the cost) and Innova is by far the biggest company.

Now...Innova is by far the biggest company because of their distribution chain...so you could make a chicken-or-egg argument case here.

Either way, the sport needs to generate more revenue, then places will carry Discraft. Academy Sports only started carrying Discraft in 2011 IIRC.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 49
Because the sales force for other companies have done a ****ty job getting their products in the shelf.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:40 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 312
Along these same lines, you'll notice that Dick's, much like Academy, Sports Authority and Wal-Mart only carry certain molds in certain plastics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Either way, the sport needs to generate more revenue, then places will carry Discraft. Academy Sports only started carrying Discraft in 2011 IIRC.
Likely a little earlier. I bought a Z Buzzz at an Academy in Joplin, MO in February 2010.

15 months later that very store was leveled by a monster tornado. Weird.

Last edited by scarpfish; 06-01-2013 at 01:43 AM.