Old 05-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Tips needed.

I decided to upload a video of my backhand drives. I know that you cant see how the discs flew but they all went quit straight about 250 or so. I threw Star Mako, Elite X buzzz and pro d challenger. All advices are welcome and well appreciated.

Video here
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
Looks like you are pushing off your rear heel, and your hips spin out/ not bracing and getting effective weight transfer. Also looks like you are accelerating too early and the elbow doesn't get very far forward of the front shoulder.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 32
Like dude ^^^^^ said, it looks like you're not getting enough of a weight transfer, granted, it looks like there's a log in front of the tee box, so I might not want to transfer my weight either.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:31 AM
Bogey Member

Thank you! Every bit said above is so true. Actually i m quite impressed that you guys can get this much information from a crappy video. About that log. it is part of teebad and it may look like it s something to avoid but its not. I know concentration is the key and sometimes i just dont think what i m doing. Thanks a lot.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:50 AM
Birdie Member

So are you not allowed to step past the log? It almost looks like you're catching yourself from fully following through. If you watch this video, all three guys at least put their back foot down off the pad, and Barry and Justin both follow through off the pad.

Unless there's some special rule on the hole you were filming on, it's completely legal to follow through off the front of the pad, so long as you let go of the disc while you're still on the pad.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:55 AM
Birdie Member

Also, 250 with those discs listed isn't horrible, and with a little weight transfer, you should see your distances improve.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Bogey Member

I wasnt paying attention if it s okay by the rule or not. just wanted to make few drives to analyze. My problem is that no matter what disc i throw, there is only little difference between drivers and putters, lets other day i threw 9 discs (roadrunner, teebird, elite z buzzz, comet, meteor, zone, ion and 2 anodes) all discs about 70 meters and all discs landed within 10 meters. shortest was zone.

Next time I m going to field I ll try concentrate on weight transfer and see how it goes.

Last edited by karpal0; 05-08-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 44
In line with the others, you want to get your hips into it now. Good arm speed, looks under control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...OYzb3oY#t=189s

Check out this video, i think it is a good video about distance throws. Really shows the importance of loading up your weight shift, and really whipping your hips around. I've also watched GG throw in person and was blown away by his hip turn.

The way I think of hip turn (and practice in my living room without a disc) is a baseball swing (but ONLY PAY ATTENTION TO HIPS, NOT ARM MOTION). Hips and then upper body. Watch Griffey's hips, they basically force his arms/hands to come through fast, making his swing "appear" effortless. (i chose him for 2 reasons, 1 you are a righty so the body spin is the same, and 2 he has VERY smooth, fast hips in his swing generating a lot of power for a smaller guy) For me, it's a good concept for visualizing what using your hips really means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ZvSzKn3U#t=15s

Another important thing you can do is not try out your distance on a course. Find an open field. You will be VERY wild as you are learning to get your hips involved, since it will throw off all your timing you have right now. With an open field, you won't have concerns of losing the disc, which can definitely affect your technique. Once you start getting some more power from your hips, over time, you'll dial in the timing and then can move it to the course.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Bogey Member

Did some field testing today. ah. everything is so complicated once again. I ll upload new video soon so you guys can give me your tips.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Bogey Member

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrht2u79BOw&fs=1" width="644" height="390" wmode="transparent">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrht2u79BOw&fs=1" />Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrht2u79BOw">here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
here we go. disc were mostly putters and few mids, all went about 60 -70 meters. I also watched few instructional videos and ah. i already see where to improve my self.

Last edited by karpal0; 05-20-2013 at 06:30 PM.