Old 07-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
new personal RHFH record . . . for me! Lessons learned

First off - I'm 59 and have been throwing for maybe 5 weeks. After 3 weeks of back hand and hurting my old body and only getting 160f on drives I switched to forehand drives which I did a LOT of 30 years ago.

Drives RHFH - distance
all other <150f backhand - greater accuracy

Weather

This morning I did some field work on football field , 89 degrees 75 dewpoint, 4mph head breeze and tail breeze.

I've been gaining about 10 feet a week and today hit the 222 foot mark with my Patroit against the breeze. Little shorter with a tail wind.

What I learned was to bend over more with more snap and less arm speed. What FELT like a level throw was actually a little anhyzer if I did not get down.

I was throwing 6 disc

Shark
Fuse
Leopard 153g (this thing really rolls)
Leopard 168g
Wolf
Patroit 174g

I LOVE that Patroit! love love it. great feel and I have all of a sudden become a Legacy fan. Leopard was good but the 153g was always an anhyzer (but with great roll so . . . .)

I'm surprised the heaviest disc was going the farthest as I didn't think ol' noodle arm could toss it.

I'm now siting back drinking gallons of water.

Thanks for listening.

slower arm speed
bend over more
more snap! Looking to by rice for that wrist exercise.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 43
If you are able to post a video of your FH form, I'm sure some of the members here can help you tweek it a little to get more distance.

Sometimes it's as easy as weight shift, pull through/back, angle of release, etc. etc.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Birdie Member

OH - that is on the to do list for sure. I picked up Coach's Eye just for that reason!

What I was waiting for was some sort of consistency IN my release. I wanted to settle on one first. It would do no good if I had 4 different vids with 4 different releases.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
OH - that is on the to do list for sure. I picked up Coach's Eye just for that reason!

What I was waiting for was some sort of consistency IN my release. I wanted to settle on one first. It would do no good if I had 4 different vids with 4 different releases.
It would be better to get advice before you develop any habits. If you are doing something incorrectly it will be more difficult to "undo" it once you are comfortable with it.

To each his own though.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 23
I agree with Jax11 about not developing bad habits so I would post a video soon before bad habits start to form. With that said, it sounds like you are figuring out a good FH technique for you. The faster you can close your wrist at the release point, the more spin you can impart on the disc which in turn increases your distance potential. The hammer pound drills work really well for FH. (Open-to-closed motion)

Having a limber wrist helps dramatically. I have relatively slow arm speed to a faster closing-of-the-wrist ratio. I control distance by adjusting how fast my wrist goes from open to closed at the release point. As an example, I'm 40 (I'm not as limber as I used to be, dangit) and a wrist-only throw, with very little arm movement (mostly follow-through), will net me anywhere from 50-250', depending on disc selection and speed of the wrist-close.

Work on stand-and-deliver shots as much as possible right now. Adding a run-up won't necessarily teach you proper weight shift and can possibly be a detriment to developing your "snap" (It can cause more arm movement than you really need. I know it did with me.). Learning how to shift your weight from back to front, at the correct time, will benefit you more now before you have developed an out-of-sync run-up. My run-up is very short and is mostly used to get my body in the correct alignment for the shot. The momentum of just a one step run-up gets my distance over 300'. My max distance FH is 380-400'.

When I figured out the timing and speed of the wrist-close, the result was up to a 50' distance increase.

Also, working with shallow-rimmed mids and putters will greatly improve your throw. (IMO, shallow rims feel more like drivers and will be easier to transition between putters/mids/drivers.) The cleaner the disc comes out of your hand, the less the disc has to "stabilize" from OAT, and therefore, more energy is focused on disc rotation in the correct plane which increases distance potential. I've hit quite a few baskets (they didn't necessarily stick though) from 100-150' with FH putter laser-beams.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Birdie Member

I'm learning to love shallow rims and I was going to ask about those. My Shark's and Fuse rims feel so large. Are there shallow rim Mids?? I'll have to look for those! My Shark feels like my Wham-o from 40 years ago LOL
Old 07-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
I'm learning to love shallow rims and I was going to ask about those. My Shark's and Fuse rims feel so large. Are there shallow rim Mids?? I'll have to look for those! My Shark feels like my Wham-o from 40 years ago LOL
An Innova Cobra is a shallow rim disc it goes straight then goes understable at the end.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 23
About the shallow rimmed mids/putters, I don't have too much experience with a ton of different molds. I can't really tell you what is shallow or not. The only mids I've used are the Buzzz/Comet duo and I carry MVPs now. I learned how to throw FH with warp speed, OS drivers and worked my way down the ladder to putters (and minis). The reason I suggested shallow rims is that they are more similar to the depth of drivers and would make for an easier transition than what I've faced. For drivers, I now throw mostly US-stable-slightly OS fairway/control drivers and only use the fast stuff for max-d and if I have the room to make them work.

Being able to FH putters and mids, IMO, is an under-utilized skill that I think most players would greatly benefit from having. Almost every round I play, I get complimented on my abilities with putters. And not just for getting out of trouble but for being able to throw low bullets straight at the basket with very little body movement. Comes in real handy during doubles rounds.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 43
Quote:
Try a Stratus!

Old 07-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
All gateway mids have a shallow rim. Give the element a whirl!!