Old 05-24-2013, 12:57 PM
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscNutt123 View Post
You're right...Shoestring probably has no idea what he's talking about.
Would you accept this advice if it came from a pro who's played pro longer than Will, and whose understanding of athletic biomechanics came from playing college football?

Knowing what works best for him doesn't mean Will doesn't know what he's talking about. It also doesn't discount that his might not be the best throwing theory. It's interesting to know how the top pros throw. Doesn't mean it's great theory.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by ZAMson; 05-24-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMson View Post
Would you accept this advice if it came from a pro who's played pro longer than Will, and whose understanding of athletic biomechanics came from playing college football?

Knowing what works best for him doesn't mean Will doesn't know what he's talking about. It also doesn't discount that his might not be the best throwing theory. It's interesting to know how the top pros throw. Doesn't mean it's great theory.
Possibly. But Will is a 1040+ rated player...I don't understand how someone could possibly think he has no clue about the mechanics of the game. Will has some of the cleanest form I've ever seen, that's unquestionable.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Possibly. But Will is a 1040+ rated player...I don't understand how someone could possibly think he has no clue about the mechanics of the game. Will has some of the cleanest form I've ever seen, that's unquestionable.
Nate Doss has 3 World Titles and look at his freakin' putting style! Who'd teach that, honestly? But hear him break it down in person, and it's his most confident style and works best for him.

Will kills it with a throw that includes a mile-long reachback. You could name players all day who perform great but have some unique funkiness somewhere in their throw. For Will, it's reaching back to grab another pair of shades outta the car before he launches the disc forward.

BUT
To throw far and throw well, that crazy reach is not required, and possibly detrimental. UNLESS you own the muscle memory and lifetime history of mechanics work that Will has (aka you ARE Will). His throw is best for him, he knows exactly what he's talking about -- his own form.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Nate Doss has 3 World Titles and look at his freakin' putting style! Who'd teach that, honestly? But hear him break it down in person, and it's his most confident style and works best for him.

Will kills it with a throw that includes a mile-long reachback. You could name players all day who perform great but have some unique funkiness somewhere in their throw. For Will, it's reaching back to grab another pair of shades outta the car before he launches the disc forward.

BUT
To throw far and throw well, that crazy reach is not required, and possibly detrimental. UNLESS you own the muscle memory and lifetime history of mechanics work that Will has (aka you ARE Will). His throw is best for him, he knows exactly what he's talking about -- his own form.
Then no one should take advice from anyone. Because if your statement holds true, no one will be the same in their form. Basically you're saying advice from anyone is worthless because everyone's form is different.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Then no one should take advice from anyone. Because if your statement holds true, no one will be the same in their form. Basically you're saying advice from anyone is worthless because everyone's form is different.
Haha, you're upset.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 36
Will is a 1040+ rated golfer. Therefore, he cannot be wrong about anything, ever.

Duh.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
Will is a 1040+ rated golfer. Therefore, he cannot be wrong about anything, ever.

Duh.
That's what I said...not. But him being a 1040+ golfer definitely helps legitimize what he's saying.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Haha, you're upset.
Not at all. Just summing up what you've said.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 19
It seems to me that the important part is not necessarily how far he reaches back, but how far he turns his shoulders. I'm pretty much Shusterick's twin as far as body type, but I don't know that I'll ever feel comfortable reaching back that far. His shoulder turn is awesome though. Also, I think this is one of the best driving videos I've seen

Old 05-24-2013, 01:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
That's what I said...not. But him being a 1040+ golfer definitely helps legitimize what he's saying.
That's the halo effect, which is a fallacy.

Nikko is an amazing golfer as well. I can tell you from my own experience that he is a terrible teacher.

I can throw pretty far myself, but I can't tell you why, or how I do it. I just do it.

Some people are great at breaking down bio-mechanics, coaching, and telling you "how" to do it. Some people are just good at doing it. Some people can do both. But, I guarantee they are far fewer in numbers.

I'm not saying Will is right or wrong. I'm just saying that his being 1040 rated means he is really good at "doing", but it says nothing for his ability to articulate "how".