Old 05-24-2013, 12:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscNutt123 View Post
That's what I said...not. But him being a 1040+ golfer definitely helps legitimize MUCH OF what he's saying.
Quote:
Not at all. Just summing up what you've said.
Not everything about a 1040+ thrower's game is automatic fundamental best practice = what I said.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
That's what I said...not. But him being a 1040+ golfer definitely helps legitimize what he's saying.
Then why does Tiger have a swing coach? And why is Tigers swing coach not also destroying pga events?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by zj1002 View Post
Most pros utilize a lower pull to create more leverage. But a hindrance is actually bending your waist to lower it. This can throw everything off and add a "bounce" in the middle of the throw.

Will is dead on correct that a lower pull can give more distance because basically you help to keep your weight with the disc. It also teaches you to throw straight or hyzer flips, rather than torqued flex shots. You see big increases when you master this.

While the video by Will is great to see it still has some common disc golf vernacular that holds back disc golf "teaching".

Most people see the biggest improvements when they switch their view of how to throw as more of a forward push, not a pull and turn. When the entire body gets moving forward, with proper weight shift, and full body commitment/extension you start to see huge distance. Get everything moving foward, thats bigger than any shoulder turn or reach back. And stop using the term PULL
Push instead of pull....ok how does one do that exactly????
Old 05-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Zj is a better golfer than you, thus you may not question his instruction.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 28
**** yeah this thread got awesome

So couple things

Most pros teach based on common phrases they hear on tour or at courses. Most of these phrases while commonly accepted aren't good enough for teaching the sport. They teach because it brings them money, not because it will explore the depths of disc golf technique. What they teach works for them and for some, but for most they need to hear it 1000 different ways before it clicks. Will is teaching commonly accepted practices, his mechanics are perfect as are his intentions of what he is trying to teach you. I spent the last 5 years looking for 1000 different ways to throw and explain it. I teach free clinics and private lessons, and it isn't to provide me with income on tour. It is because when I wanted to learn, no one locally or even at DGR had the proper tools or descriptions to teach me, so my goal now is to change that.

I was just trying to add some insight and better wording to what Will was teaching. I never said he was a bad teacher, he just teaches what you want to hear, not what you need to hear. I am sure he has successful pupils and clearly plenty of fans of his work.

As for the push over pull thing. When the disc is guided into the power zone, with the elbow point out, you basically push(or uncoil). This reduces your chance to pull into the power zone, because by the time you exert energy to reach this you won't have the energy to push/uncoil out. It is more of a mental push, followed they uncoil of the elbow, arm and disc. You are changing the mental aspect of pulling in to the idea of pushing forward. Physically trying to push and pull things usually doesn't work

Last edited by zj1002; 05-24-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
From a standstill you can reduce some knee pain by making sure you are on your toes with you knees bent. Be in an athletic position. When you set up in your standstill your heel should be pointing toward the target while you are on your toes(point the heel as your comfort allows, some can twist more than others). When you rotate through you should be able to roll into the heel and displace some of the power better through your legs.

As for adding in the run-up, I suggest learning the run-up while using a minimal reach back. You need to master both of them separately and then slowly bring them together. I would try to find video or information on how Dave Feldberg throws as I feel his swing is the best way to learn a run-up. His arm swing and shoulder drop is easier to time with a run-up because it sets up the body the best. I believe there a few videos out there of him teaching the run-up and they should be easy to find. What you need to focus on is how his swing helps to transfer his weight to his backfoot, and then primes his throw so that he can move it forward. His actual swing isn't for everyone, but the concept of his swing setting up his footwork for power generation is revolutionary.

It really just comes down to practicing as much as you can and trusting that over time it will become natural. When you stop forcing yourself to see improvements every throw, and just trust it, usually it works itself out.
Thanks, I think thats probably what I was doing, getting too flat footed and off my toes. I'll keep practicing that.

as far as feldberg's run up, do you have a video you suggest?

I practice probably too much haha. Thanks for the tips, ill keep working
Old 05-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
**** yeah this thread got awesome

So couple things

Most pros teach based on common phrases they hear on tour or at courses. Most of these phrases while commonly accepted aren't good enough for teaching the sport. They teach because it brings them money, not because it will explore the depths of disc golf technique. What they teach works for them and for some, but for most they need to hear it 1000 different ways before it clicks. Will is teaching commonly accepted practices, his mechanics are perfect as are his intentions of what he is trying to teach you. I spent the last 5 years looking for 1000 different ways to throw and explain it. I teach free clinics and private lessons, and it isn't to provide me with income on tour. It is because when I wanted to learn, no one locally or even at DGR had the proper tools or descriptions to teach me, so my goal now is to change that.

I was just trying to add some insight and better wording to what Will was teaching. I never said he was a bad teacher, he just teaches what you want to hear, not what you need to hear. I am sure he has successful pupils and clearly plenty of fans of his work.

As for the push over pull thing. When the disc is guided into the power zone, with the elbow point out, you basically push(or uncoil). This reduces your chance to pull into the power zone, because by the time you exert energy to reach this you won't have the energy to push/uncoil out. It is more of a mental push, followed they uncoil of the elbow, arm and disc. You are changing the mental aspect of pulling in to the idea of pushing forward. Physically trying to push and pull things usually doesn't work
Interesting. Wish someone did clinics around here, I could sure use some pointers.....
Old 05-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanKRob View Post
Thanks, I think thats probably what I was doing, getting too flat footed and off my toes. I'll keep practicing that.

as far as feldberg's run up, do you have a video you suggest?

I practice probably too much haha. Thanks for the tips, ill keep working
I'll see what I can dig up tonight
Old 05-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
Interesting. Wish someone did clinics around here, I could sure use some pointers.....

Old 05-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 23
I love how this turned from "What an awesome video" to an all out flame war. Rock on DGCR.