Where is the stupid link...
Old 05-24-2013, 04:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcDiscGolf View Post
I love how this turned from "What an awesome video" to an all out flame war. Rock on DGCR.
Any thread, given enough time, will devolve into a pile a dog doo.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcDiscGolf View Post
I love how this turned from "What an awesome video" to an all out flame war. Rock on DGCR.
Welcome to Internet Forums 101....

Old 05-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 38
I saw this vid a week ago and thought much better than breaking stuff with discs. Now I'm thinking who cares if you'll ever throw as far as Will or win multiple basketball championships like Jordan or whatever. Dude is at least trying to help out a noob. If it gets more kids to the practice field, I think it was worth his time. I tend to believe, as has already been said in this thread, that things need to be said in multiple ways so that more of the folks listening will understand.

BTW, I like Feldy's run up with the first step being a gentle 45 with the left foot moving into the x-step but that's not the thread title. However, I suppose after viewing Will's super great 6 minute clip all wanna bees and baggers will be officially required to move up

I wouldn't mind seeing some zj xcal hucks sometime
Old 05-24-2013, 04:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ontheline View Post
I saw this vid a week ago and thought much better than breaking stuff with discs. Now I'm thinking who cares if you'll ever throw as far as Will or win multiple basketball championships like Jordan or whatever. Dude is at least trying to help out a noob. If it gets more kids to the practice field, I think it was worth his time. I tend to believe, as has already been said in this thread, that things need to be said in multiple ways so that more of the folks listening will understand.

BTW, I like Feldy's run up with the first step being a gentle 45 with the left foot moving into the x-step but that's not the thread title. However, I suppose after viewing Will's super great 6 minute clip all wanna bees and baggers will be officially required to move up

I wouldn't mind seeing some zj xcal hucks sometime
I think I agree with all that
and yes, much better than Broken Glass Public Park Sponsored by Prodigy Disc

"Dude is at least trying to help out a noob. If it gets more kids to the practice field, I think it was worth his time."
Emphatic agreement.

ZJ's form, broken down live by Yeti, coming soon.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMson View Post
I think I agree with all that
and yes, much better than Broken Glass Public Park Sponsored by Prodigy Disc
After I saw this video, I watched the one Zam mentions here. Let's just say I was a huge Will fan.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 19
Because there is no way he could clean that up right?
Old 05-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Any thread, given enough time, will devolve into a pile a dog doo.
> Only entropy comes easy.
> Anton Chekhov

The point seems to be: No one driving form is correct.

There are some fundamentals: weight shift, release on a straight line, accelerate through the hit, follow through, but how you achieve those things, not everyone will agree.

Basically, you can't learn how to drive an extra 100 feet on this forum. You have to take all the information, go out on the course or practice field, apply what you read/saw and see what works for you. I played with the Bradley Walker "Snap" Closed Shoulder drill and improved immediately. I liked some things Will said in this video and I went out and tried them. I'm with Zam in that I don't think I'll get a huge reachback in my run up at this point - that is hard. But keep a straight line along my Core instead of my chest, turning my shoulder when I reach back, shifting my wait forward more than spinning, keeping my finish low, all those things could help me. I love the way Will pulls all the way through his massive reachback on a straight line. If I could actually master that, I think I'd throw better with a small reachback as well.

This video is a good example of Pros disagreeing. Around 13:00 Dave and Garret are doing Distance drives. At some point, Dave tells everyone Garret should get him arm out of the way of his drive, but Garret thinks that is one reason he throws it farther. I think Feldberg has the fundamental right here. I'd never emulate Garret's throw to start. But maybe once you are good enough, you might try what Garret does, and it certainly works well for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxw8ix0CYs
Old 05-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 17
The point he makes at the 2 min. mark was taught to me a little over a year ago and helped me more for distance than anything...that and the reachback part. Great training tool for anyone looking to add power to their game.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 33
I'm super stoked to see ZJ's form broken down. It would be nice to see it in super slow-mo, regular slow-mo and, as seen in skate/snow/bmx vids, certain frames broken down almost like sequential photos, to really examine each motion/part.

Last edited by DanJon; 05-26-2013 at 04:47 AM. Reason: drinking/spelling