Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 PM
DGCR Site Sponsor

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiffty View Post
Thanks to everyone for participating in the caption contest. Congrats to dickparker for the winning caption:

"If you get an ace, I'm not paying."

If you couldn't guess from the profile pic, dickparker wanted an overstable fairway driver. Introducing... the Ricochet. Watch for it in future gameplay videos.

First Disc Golf win of my career... I'll take it.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickparker View Post
First Disc Golf win of my career... I'll take it.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 AM
DGCR Site Sponsor

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 52
Dayem... Win a contest, kill a thread.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:26 AM

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickparker View Post
Dayem... Win a contest, kill a thread.
Ha, well, that's okay. Less social interaction equals more work on the game for me. I've actually been getting into some really interesting stuff with the terrain engine. Although... a new Borderlands 2 DLC came out this week and a new course is opening in two hours close to me so I'm pretty sure that development this weekend will be limited...
Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 119
is this game playable yet?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcolomb View Post
is this game playable yet?
Playable? Yeah, sure... for me and my testers.

If your question is about the actual release of the game (being playable by others)... then no. I'm still shooting for a late 2013 release date though.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:42 AM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 31
So how does headwind and tailwind work into the game? Do they work like they do in real life? How much work has gone into the skip mechanic? Do you have different types of trees with better/worse chances of disc penetration? The last disc golf game I played defined "iron leaf" and it would be cool to have a chance to break through foliage on occasion.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreadwell View Post
So how does headwind and tailwind work into the game? Do they work like they do in real life? How much work has gone into the skip mechanic? Do you have different types of trees with better/worse chances of disc penetration? The last disc golf game I played defined "iron leaf" and it would be cool to have a chance to break through foliage on occasion.
The current wind implementation is fairly accurate as far as what I would expect in real life. It is also the easiest way to add difficulty to the game.

Disc to ground contact has been a pain to say the least. Skips are currently pretty generic (everything kinda flares towards the fade direction) ever since I borked things on one of my many attempts to implement some sort of rolling mechanic (for both full-on rollers and simple rollaways as a disc comes to rest). I'm not terribly happy with the current implementation so I'm sure I'll be refactoring all of this before the game is released.

I plan on designing a handful of generic tree types with realistic interactions (deflections, getting stuck, plinko, breaking through foliage, etc). My modelling skills are still a little green but the trees shown in the "baskets" screenshot were my first attempt at a low poly tree from scratch (those are under 160 polys each, believe it or not) and I'm more than happy with them for my first attempt.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:30 AM

Still Alive

Hey everyone, just wanted to stop in and give a quick update on Unchained.

Development has been in full swing and the game has evolved quite a bit since we've last talked (don't worry, my core objectives are still the same). I've gotten to a point where I've pretty much shelved the prototype and have been working on writing release-worthy code. I'm not ready to go into details yet (soon, I promise) but maybe this screenshot (in-game on my phone, Galaxy S3) will give some idea of the direction that I'm taking the game. Flight is still smooth as butter too, even on the phone.

Keep on throwing the plastic!

-adam

Old 08-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 4
Just a thought, are all the discs going to look plain, or are there going to be stamps on them? Even if they aren't actually stamps just designs? I think that'd look kinda cool.
Closed Thread