Old 06-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHBH
Putting Style Question.

I have a small question about putting,don't really need advice just curious about something.

If I try to use a weight shift when I putt I'm all over the place.I cannot hit the chains or when I do hit the chains It goes clean through them because I can't figure out how to control my speed. Long story short,tried a different style a while back that incorporated a weight shift and it wasn't good.

Go back to present day. The way I putt I have no weight Shift. I do my routine before my putt,but when I'm about to go into my motion to release the disc, my body is completely still.Before release my back leg feels a bit of tension and then my abs have a lot of tension in them right when I get to my release point. As long as I kept hyzer on the disc and I act as though I want to shake hands with the basket I'm in almost everytime and it just comes down to a height issue if I miss. It's so much easier to adjust how much power or height I need this way.

Just curious what causes this one style to be so much more accurate and controllable than the other style? When I'm in doubles or playing with friends I pay attention to how people putt and no one in the groups putt like I do.

Crazy question to ask I know.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Eagle Member

This sounds like an excellent opportunity to add to the list of videos you need to make
Old 06-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 11
Are you just throwing with your arm, then? Maybe you have developed great accuracy that way. I have seen people putt where it looks like they just strong arm it and they zip the disc at the basket in a very throwy fashion. Some people are very good at that, but in my book that is just setting up for catastrophe when you miss because then your disc flies past the basket.

I don't think you should have tension in your body, that sounds like it shouldn't be part of your setup. Also it's always good to coordinate your breathing so you exhale as you throw.

But what do I know? If it works for you then I guess it works! Everyone is different.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 92
I use both styles you described. I straddle putt with little or no weight shift around obstacles and on putts less than 15 feet.

On putts over 15 feet when obstacles aren't an issue, I weight shift putt using a "toss the softball into the basket" mental imagery. All movement is directly in line with the basket (or the right edge of the basket on very long putts). When weight shifting, IMO... it's crucial to make all movement in a direct line to the target. It prevents the "all over the place" issue.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
This sounds like an excellent opportunity to add to the list of videos you need to make
You know that does sound like a good idea man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate View Post
Are you just throwing with your arm, then? Maybe you have developed great accuracy that way. I have seen people putt where it looks like they just strong arm it and they zip the disc at the basket in a very throwy fashion. Some people are very good at that, but in my book that is just setting up for catastrophe when you miss because then your disc flies past the basket.

I don't think you should have tension in your body, that sounds like it shouldn't be part of your setup. Also it's always good to coordinate your breathing so you exhale as you throw.

But what do I know? If it works for you then I guess it works! Everyone is different.
It's not just my arm it's the abdominals too. You would think I'm pretty much just throwing straight at it with how I describe it. It's more of a controlled putt for me doing it this way. I think when I put hyzer on the disc and how I keep the body still,it creates a up and down putting style. Pretty much my putts drop. Sometimes they are pretty solid,but most of the time they drop.

Maybe the tension just means it's the muscle being used before I release the disc. when I bring my arm down before I putt it I feel the tension in the left leg and then when I get to my release point it transfers to the Abs.

I love putting this way and I always have confidence even if I'm 40ft out.

I'm a bit tired so I may be repeating myself lol.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegor View Post
I use both styles you described. I straddle putt with little or no weight shift around obstacles and on putts less than 15 feet.

On putts over 15 feet when obstacles aren't an issue, I weight shift putt using a "toss the softball into the basket" mental imagery. All movement is directly in line with the basket (or the right edge of the basket on very long putts). When weight shifting, IMO... it's crucial to make all movement in a direct line to the target. It prevents the "all over the place" issue.
I think that last bit lies my problem. I think my weight shifts may have been in line some days and then others it was not.

Somedays I would hit my putts pretty good and then some it would so horrible I want to throw my bag in the woods. lol

With my no shift style I never have to worry about pretty good or bad days. It's either good or great days.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 11
I think it's interesting how people putt because putts seem to be more individualized than any other throw in the game. No matter how someone drives, putting is always a very personal technique.

Honestly, I am having kind of a hard time envisioning what your putt looks like. It sounds very unique and so maybe you should post a video of it

I still think it's weird how you describe being tense in your leg and abs. I'm not sure if that's necessarily good or bad, but everyone always says to be loosey goosey when you disc golf until you need to create that tension/energy.

The more I learn things in everyday life, the more I realize that it's best to just figure things out for yourself. For as many disc golf videos as I've watched recently it still doesn't help me throw better as much as figuring it out for myself (through much trial and error). But I still think putting can be a grey area concerning form and technique. I recently read in the PDGA rules that kicking your disc from your hand counts as a throw, so I might try to develop my kicking game (not really) haha.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 16
yeah mate, i think it's because you've probably practiced the balls out of it.

when i putt, i do a staggered stance, lead foot at the basket, and i let my arms basically dangle while keeping my grip on the putter. rock back and forth a few times to get the feel for momentum and zone out, just staring through the basket. pop my weight forward, bring the wrist up and snap/push.

i'm not very good at putting, but this has definitely gotten me more accurate and longer putts. people say my form sucks and i look like a monkey, but it's the best i've done so far.

go with what works, yo.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate View Post
I think it's interesting how people putt because putts seem to be more individualized than any other throw in the game. No matter how someone drives, putting is always a very personal technique.

Honestly, I am having kind of a hard time envisioning what your putt looks like. It sounds very unique and so maybe you should post a video of it

I still think it's weird how you describe being tense in your leg and abs. I'm not sure if that's necessarily good or bad, but everyone always says to be loosey goosey when you disc golf until you need to create that tension/energy.

The more I learn things in everyday life, the more I realize that it's best to just figure things out for yourself. For as many disc golf videos as I've watched recently it still doesn't help me throw better as much as figuring it out for myself (through much trial and error). But I still think putting can be a grey area concerning form and technique. I recently read in the PDGA rules that kicking your disc from your hand counts as a throw, so I might try to develop my kicking game (not really) haha.
Going to the being loose thing. My arm is pretty loose,but the rest of my body is planted as if I'm a statue. Won't go into repeating myself again. I'm bad about that

If I can get my buddy to get his go pro,I'll get him to do some recording of me throwing and putting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
yeah mate, i think it's because you've probably practiced the balls out of it.

when i putt, i do a staggered stance, lead foot at the basket, and i let my arms basically dangle while keeping my grip on the putter. rock back and forth a few times to get the feel for momentum and zone out, just staring through the basket. pop my weight forward, bring the wrist up and snap/push.

i'm not very good at putting, but this has definitely gotten me more accurate and longer putts. people say my form sucks and i look like a monkey, but it's the best i've done so far.

go with what works, yo.
I have practiced the crap out of it. I usually putt maybe 40 minutes a day/give or take 10 minutes. Since I don't have a really big arm I have to be able to sink putts at 30ft(most of the time that is where the disc usually lands on my drives) So practicing is a must for me.

Everynow and again I'll find myself moving my lower body a bit,then I just tell myself "no movement next time". I pretty much sink the next putt.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 27
I'd say when you shift you're weight, you get into a different position, and you're timing gets off or your arm motion changes a little, and that's why you'd miss left, right, high, or low. As for the speed of the putt being off, that's just feel of how much power you need behind it, and that comes with getting used to the new motion.