Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Birdie Member

Being angry at the world seems like a lot of work and I don't wanna have to work during my disc golf rounds. I think I'm too fundamentally lazy to be as the OP suggests.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
^^When I first started playing, I got too mad too often...but not at the other players, at myself. That to me is the difference between positive and negative attitude, w/r/t to the OP.

If the OP needs to get into a "Spartans, prepare for glory!" mental place to be at his best, that can be a "positive" attitude.

But overly beating one's self up over bad play is a no-go.

Somewhat as an aside, "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" talks about that. Some players, it's like they feel like they have to get all over themselves when they shank, to show everyone how serious they are. It's sort of subconscious. That really struck a chord with me when I read it.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 20
There is a huge difference between mental attitude and talent, and you are all missing that point.

If my average drive on a long, wide open course is 300', and yours is 450', then it is not because of your mental attitude that you would win most rounds. But the mental attitude to clamp own on every shot, to play the course to your full potential, and cut out every inch possible to compete, while the other guy has the Beaky Buzzard mentality, then is goofing off, seeing how far he can throw his Pig with a heavy backwind, and you beat this person, then that is a mental attitude win. If you force a person with more talent have to buckle down and focus to beat you, then you are doing it right. Then you should wipe the floor with people of equal talent.

But this whole, the OP means be a jerk, we all need to chill out on Bob Marley Tea crap is exactly why you guys lose to people of equal talent than you.

Last edited by Teebird Elvis; 05-30-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebird Elvis View Post
ok, exhibit a: Michael Johansen.
How many world championships has he won?
zero
That's at least 3 times as many as you.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by threevok View Post
That's at least 3 times as many as you.
That is like saying one time you had a psychic girlfriend, but she knew in the end it wouldn't work out, so you never met.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Wright you are.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
A lot of different people play this sport. Some think they are better than they really are because they had a good round a couple times. Then pay money to compete and suck it up. I have plenty of friends who play doubles twice a week all year round and then play tourney's and suck. I am very happy that the pro scene is Wisconsin has some awesome people. Long ago, I asked myself "Why am I playing this tourney"? The answer was simple: no fun=no tourney. I play each round with a positive attitude and that has helped me have more fun. Is it fun to pay $75 to play and then have some db ruin the fun for everyone, no it is not. I choose to play events for the courses that I enjoy and the TD that runs the event.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebird Elvis View Post
That is like saying one time you had a psychic girlfriend, but she knew in the end it wouldn't work out, so you never met.
I think the point here was, MJ's approach is at least as successful as yours.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro71 View Post
I think the point here was, MJ's approach is at least as successful as yours.
Has the OP ever even competed in a disc golf tournament? I did a little looking and I can't find any record of him doing so. He doesn't have a PDGA number.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Birdie Member

I don't see why a person can't focus and have fun at the same time. I'll joke all round long until it is time to take my shot, then I go into my routine and focus and then throw the shot. Then it's back to joking around. If a person has to be super focused the whole round to play well they should probably work on their mental game and learn how to switch between focusing and relaxing. There is a lot of downtime in DG where you are standing around and it seems like it would be really unenjoyable to try and stay focused during all that standing around.