Old 05-24-2013, 02:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
perhaps y'all should just learn to throw more accurately

no but seriously, just hit the chains before anybody else. don't make me come down there!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
Ha ya. I almost got 18 tonight with my Neutron Ion. Which is a bitch for me since I'm left handed and the pin is to the left. Awesome turn over shot. Smacked the bottom of the pin. Drop in birdie. I won't be able to play either Tuesday or Thursday next week due to work. Pretty lame.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 15
i do get the thought i just don't even believe in splitting ace pots...I'm just old school. i want an ace pot to be huge. would make people show up out of woodwork...i doubt there are traveling pros that can ace at will. Higher chance yes but even barry shultz or someone like that isn't going to get an ace very often.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
One I do not like about big ace pots are that almost everybody stops playing real DG and just starts flinging their discs off the tee in whatever they feel will get them the best chance....and every shot that does not result in an ace they do not care about since they are not playing to get a good score anyhow..

The other thing with big ace pots is that when someone wins, very few people feel truly happy for them since they are so disappointed that it wasn't them.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
I cap the ace pool at $200 and start a new one. Who wants some rando showing up, paying in a couple bucks and taking all that local built up cash? Especially if its hundreds upon hundreds of dollars.

And if one of the pots gets drained at least you have another on the side building up. Keeps the league attractive to players.
This is how Charlotte does it. Cap at $200 or $250. There was one that got to like $1400 in Raleigh a few years ago. The league started at 6 but you had to be there by like 4 to sign up and it filled quickly, I believe.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser flippin View Post
perhaps y'all should just learn to throw more accurately

no but seriously, just hit the chains before anybody else. don't make me come down there!
In my experience and with my own game, Ace progression is like this...
Beginner: You can't hit an ace cause you can't throw far enough.

Rec, Intermediate: Then you start getting them because you can throw far but aren't accurate enough.

Advanced: Then you start getting less because you throw to skip up to the basket for the easy bird, and you aren't confident in putting something that flies 40' past (if you get height enough for an ace).

Pro: Start getting aces again, because you play a lot and are confident in the comeback putt, also you are around the basket on drives more often.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnino View Post
interesting that some clubs don't allow first timers(out of towners) to win the ace pot. doesn't everyone have the same number of throws off the tees? I guess i don't understand the concept behind the acepot very well.

I also wonder if you ace in doubles league do you share it?
Also, out of towners are at a disadvantage not knowing the course as well. So on average, they end up just donating to your pot. Let em' in!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 81
We pay out %75 of the total ace pot. So if we have $100 collected and somebody hits, they get $75 and the remaining $25 is rolled over to next week.

I hit it in December and banked $218, and the very next week somebody hit for $45, and the next week it started around $11... i think it's back up to $180 now.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnino View Post
interesting that some clubs don't allow first timers(out of towners) to win the ace pot. doesn't everyone have the same number of throws off the tees? I guess i don't understand the concept behind the acepot very well.
I think our reason for limiting the pot for members the fact they would've contributed exactly $1 to the pot, while any regular league play has contributed $25-$40 I'm sure. If they are willing to pluck down $15 to join the league, then by all means, let them in... but $1 investment shouldn't yield a $250 payday capped and definitely not a $800+ payday for uncapped.

You see... they have NOT made the same number of throws as those that built up the pot. So I think the answer to your question I highlighted is NO.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Also, out of towners are at a disadvantage not knowing the course as well. So on average, they end up just donating to your pot. Let em' in!
We let them in for that night's contribution... so 25 players show up... out-of-towner gets the $25 and nothing gets added to the existing fund. Pay $15 league fee and the $25 goes into the existing pool and any member can win.