Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHFH
Anyone play Trophy Lakes?

Headed there next Friday to play a couple of rounds. Wanted to get some insight about the course other than there's a ton of water
Old 01-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 25
a lot of water, but near the shore the water was clear and shallow. I threw my best discs and retrieved them all no problem.

It's a really fun course, worth every penny
Old 01-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 191
They host water skiing lessons and events out there. They said they ski 365 days of the year, so you might see some cool stuff even in January.

Can be tricky getting there, GPS is helpful.

Longs and shorts on each hole, and they typically change the hole (they don't just add 50 feet of identical distance).

Nice little shop with a good disc selection and some other stuff (drinks, disc golf accessories, water skiing accessories).

I've played maybe 3-5 times there and everyone I've run across (including a weekly random draw doubles) has been very friendly.

Confirm this at the pro shop, but I think they have a club or disc insurance, something so that - if you toss a disc in the water and it's marked, they'll send it back to you.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Bogey Member

Place is Paradise, this friday coming up? Shouldn't you be in Savannah? Supposed to be in the 70's this weekend
Old 01-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: RHFH
It will be next Friday before i get down there. Have to wait for the wife to leave town. Guess i should throw some extra discs in the bag then bc i am notorious for finding water. My friends call me lumberjack too. I can throw in an open field and always manage to hit a tree somewhere.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowWraith View Post
Headed there next Friday to play a couple of rounds. Wanted to get some insight about the course other than there's a ton of water
Place is totally worth a day, play the shorts and the longs. Well maintained, good variety, considering it's flat as a pancake...arguably the best course in the greater Charleston area.

The water is the key. At least 4 of the long tees feature a good carry before the water carry, meaining if you can carry 350+ you have some tough decisions to make, if not, if you're around 300 max or less, some of the longer holes will be frustrating, maybe. Close to the shore, discs are retirievable, though I believe the course rules are that they don't want any DGer's in the water...probably because of their insurance, w/r/t water skiing.

It's $5 to play all day, but if I remember correctly they'll spot you that five if you buy at least 2 discs in the pro shop...which you might be doing after your round, if not before.

Heat can be a bear out there, but not this time of year....I'm totally jealous.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
^^Sound advice from Toro71. Bring extra valkyries, assuming you throw them, or any 350ish foot disc. The course is so worthwhile, you won't miss that $5.

Assuming nothing changed, you sign a sheet of paper with your name & number and any disc culled from the water with your name will be returned for a $3 charge.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro71 View Post
The water is the key. At least 4 of the long tees feature a good carry before the water carry, meaining if you can carry 350+ you have some tough decisions to make, if not, if you're around 300 max or less, some of the longer holes will be frustrating, maybe.
I throw under 300' and they're not frustrating to me. #10 & #11 involve somewhat delicate lay-ups rather than driving over the water, still fun.

While there are lots of chances to lose a disc, it's not a given. Play smart and under control and even a modest player like myself can get around without lightening the bag. By all means bring expendables, but you may leave with them.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 38
One of my favorite courses around.
.... I miss playing dg while women in bikinis water ski between you and the basket! Only place like it in the world.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
really fun course. only got a chance to play it once. make sure to write your name and phone number on the disc. they have scube divers come every month(or something) and if they find your disc in one of the lakes they will return it to you. and it is also the only course that I have played that has a sunken basket.