Old 05-25-2013, 03:26 AM

Courses Played: 32
Bottle and Kan Litter

I live in Canada and when we buy beer here we pay a 5 cent deposit on each can or bottle or 20 cents on a wine or liquor bottle .... that means those that need money pick the trash cans for cans and bottles .... it really helps keep the trash down ... also if you are in an area with no pick up just stomp on the can and take em with you in your bag and either recycle or trash em ... there is no excuse for littering cans.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Ah this old chestnut. We laugh about it at my home course (Cumberland Green in Fountain, CO) because those trash cans are always full of alcoholic beverages (empty, of course) and sometimes even a handle of Jack or two. Luckily, the people there are generally well behaved enough to police themselves. They don't even write on the baskets when they make an Ace (of course they do occasionally write on the tee signs for some reason...)

But I can understand this being a huge problem in other areas, specifically big public parks. Cumberland is sort of an exception because aside from the playground near the teebox to hole 1, there really isn't anything else in the park except for the DG course and a horse trail. It also all depends on the laws about public consumption, as they can vary by region. Some areas it's just "don't be drunk in public" and in others its absolutely no drinking in public, period.

But it's the same sort of issue as, forgive the terminology, chuckers. It's great to have people out playing, but if they don't want to change, it's very, very hard to force it on them. That's when the city steps in and takes the course away. So really, there is no easy solution to the problem. That doesn't mean give up. I remark I usually use that is effective (even more so on people whose recreational substance is of the more organic variety) is: "Hey man, I just saw a cop roll by and last week they busted someone here for drinking in public (or whatever the offense might be....it really works for anything to include graffiti, cursing, whatever)"

Some people might blow you off, but most, especially the happy drinkers will just see it as someone looking out for them, not someone trying to keep a course from being pulled.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
That's an excellent way to approach them.

I suspect no-alcohol rules, and degrees of enforcement, vary not just by region, but from park-to-park. A multi-use park, and especially a park in a residential neighborhood, is more likely to have strict enforcement because many of the other park users will request it.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 54
I would like to enter this "no alcohol policy" as exhibit A in the case of Ball Golf VS Disc Golf. Thank you your honor.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 20
I never see anyone drinking alcohol on the course except the avid disc golfer that's past their 20's. the college kids are all just there to have fun throwing frisbees. it's the older generation that feels they have to drink to keep the game fun. everyone has problems. drink them away somewhere else please. :-)
Old 05-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzSharpe View Post
There is a subject that is as old as disc golf itself that needs to be addressed by all serious players of the sport. It closed down Wellspring for a time some years back. It is becoming an issue with the governmental goombas of High Point at Johnson Street. I've been told that it might close down part or all of Sloan in Sanford. I imagine that it is an issue at courses in areas with which I have no direct or indirect knowledge.
The issue is indiscreet alcohol consumption on the courses and filling the trash cans with beer cans. I don't drink myself, but I recognize and appreciate the want and wish to enjoy adult beverages while enjoying one's disc golfing. As serious players committed to the continuation and expansion of our beloved sport, we have to police ourselves, as well as those participants, whom I refer to as tourists, usually spoiled brat college students, like those from Elon at the Cedarock courses and from HPU at Johnson Street.
I remember a meeting a few years back planning a new public park in western Alamance County. One of our local pros was recommending installing a new championship level course at the facility. One of the managers from Cedarock Park recommended against it, stating that disc golf was more trouble that it was worth, primarily because of the alcohol issue.
Listen guys, if you want to drink beer or other alcohol while playing, I have no problem with that. It will generally make it easier for me to beat you. If you have room in your bag, cart, or pockets to carry in full bottles or cans, you have room to carry them out when they're empty. And for goodness sake, be aware and intelligent enough to be discreet while consuming.
The South, lol
Old 05-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuku1 View Post
I never see anyone drinking alcohol on the course except the avid disc golfer that's past their 20's. the college kids are all just there to have fun throwing frisbees. it's the older generation that feels they have to drink to keep the game fun. everyone has problems. drink them away somewhere else please. :-)

See, now that's funny because around here it's the one disc shirtless frat boys that reek of booze and drunkenly throw in all directions except towards the basket.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 19
so the problem is filling the trash cans with beers cans....NOT beer cans all over the park?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:28 PM
*Reform School Scholar*

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronicatm View Post
so the problem is filling the trash cans with beers cans....NOT beer cans all over the park?
yes. which is evidence that there is drinking going on. in a park that doesnt allow it.

Last edited by TOURNEYPLAYER; 05-25-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 315
Anyone ever notice that even in many locales where it is illegal to drink in the park by statute, its enforced sporadically at best as if its not a high priority? Well that's because its not a high priority.

Take that for what its worth.