Old 05-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
First time spotting for a tourney.. any tips or funky stories?

This weekend I am volunteering at a big local tourney with some big Pros and Ams to spot.
(I have never played in a tourney myself)

Any last second tips or even funky stories?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.5
Courses Played: 81
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Duck!
Old 05-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 49
Mark the shots and stay out of arguments. Make sure you just mark the disc and let the group make any decisions. I've seen more spots get yelled at (myself included) because the person who goes OB is trying to get a better spot or argue that it went OB somewhere else. Unless the throw is very OB don't pick up the disc, just mark where it went out.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw80550 View Post
Mark the shots and stay out of arguments. Make sure you just mark the disc and let the group make any decisions. I've seen more spots get yelled at (myself included) because the person who goes OB is trying to get a better spot or argue that it went OB somewhere else. Unless the throw is very OB don't pick up the disc, just mark where it went out.
What you're saying sounds sort of prudent, and may be spot on for an inexperienced player acting as a spotter.

But, doesn't the spotters ruling technically supersede the players'?

http://www.pdga.com/rules/competitio.../111-officials
Old 05-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 27
..just found this. Seems like a cool guide

http://dgolf.us/docs/Disc_Golf_Spotting_101.pdf
Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 73
Big Creek - The Freak?
Walnut - 15 or 17?

Last edited by crazykrug; 05-24-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
Be ready and willing to move in order to best spot a disc. By that I mean don't just sit or stand in one spot and watch the discs fly by. If it's headed for trouble, try to follow it as best you can so you can a) find it and b) give the best possible spot if it ends up OB. Nothing worse than a so-called spotter that can only tell the player "it went somewhere over there".

Also, have a copy of the rule book with you, as well as any printed tournament info available (player program, caddy sheet, etc). This way, if there is a debate or disagreement, you have any relevant rules or conditions right there on the spot. It's amazing to me how often a question comes up from a player who doesn't know how to proceed because he didn't take or read whatever documentation the TD offered (and occasionally, because he's never bothered to read the rule book).

Other than that, some of the previous advice is spot on. Don't get involved in discussions or debates with players unless they ask for your input specifically. And even then, stick to the facts and don't opine. You're there mostly as an extra set of eyes, not a referee.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDSM View Post
..just found this. Seems like a cool guide

http://dgolf.us/docs/Disc_Golf_Spotting_101.pdf
I would say that is an excellent guide
Old 05-24-2013, 12:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by agibson View Post
What you're saying sounds sort of prudent, and may be spot on for an inexperienced player acting as a spotter.

But, doesn't the spotters ruling technically supersede the players'?

http://www.pdga.com/rules/competitio.../111-officials
Technically yes, a spotter designated as an official by the TD can make rulings that supersede the group, but officials should only be making rulings if requested. In other words, they shouldn't be calling foot faults or handing out courtesy warnings of their own volition. That stuff is first and foremost the group's responsibility. As I said in my previous post, the job of a spotter/official is not to be a referee.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 84
I spotted last weekend on two overlapping holes; they shared a super-wide fairway that gave opportunities for discs to cross over. Just keep your eyes open, and don't get involved in any player rulings unless specifically asked to do so by the TD. If there's OB, make sure that you KNOW the OB well (where it starts, where it ends, etc.), and that you can see where the disc goes out of bounds to help the players. Don't pick up any disc EVER until the group decides on a ruling; I actually let the players retrieve their own discs - I was simply a locator.

I also got into a situation where two similarly colored discs landed in the same general area, thrown by players throwing different holes because of the overlap. One disc was on the fairway, and the other was just off the fairway, and wasn't immediately visible. The thrower of the "hidden" disc played from the wrong orange disc that was in the fairway and clearly visible, because I had pointed in that general direction. Although I felt bad about the situation as a whole and was apologetic, we all agreed that it is not a spotter's job to make sure a player is playing from his or her own disc. Yes, I could have done a better job in that case, and I was much more careful for the rest of the round.

Also, be prepared to humbly accept all the thanks you will get from players for helping to spot.