Old 06-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Disc golf is a tough "profession". After you've reached the level that these guys have, and you're approaching or past 30-years-old, what would motivate you to continue putting 100% of your energy into being a top competitor?

Would you still enjoy traveling every weekend? Sleeping in other peoples houses in order to save money? #1 payout for the top tournaments only in the (low) thousands, and others being much, much less?

Young guys aren't thinking about buying a house, building up the 401k, saving for the kids' college tuition. Disc golf is a cool sport. If you have the chops to compete at the highest level, turn it up, and be the best. Then, it might be wise to consider a very early retirement to play for personal enjoyment and occasional supplemental cash.

Just some thoughts.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
AJ was one of the first pros I actually paid attention to. When I got serious about playing, the Deep in the Game series dropped around the same time and really pointed me in the right direction. Kinda sucks about him not really being in contention a lot, but he's definitely a great ambassador and advocate for the sport.
You've never seen him at a tournament then I'm guessing. Dude detracts more people from the sport that he actually encounters.

These new guys are just on a different level than the Emac, Avery, etc.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
All that said, I wouldn't say that it's necessarily physically aging that is a roadblock at this stage for either AJ or EMac, I would say it's age in the sense that they don't have the luxury of competitive "tunnel vision" with regards to life like the younger/newer guys do.

I don't think it's a physical aging thing. Climo was still in the top 10 last year, I believe, and was playing MPO not Masters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
You've never seen him at a tournament then I'm guessing. Dude detracts more people from the sport that he actually encounters.

These new guys are just on a different level than the Emac, Avery, etc.
I don't know what bad experience you've had with AJ but he's always been cool when I've talked to him. He's come to town for other events than just the KCWO and given clinics, played around with everybody and was handing out raffle prizes. Seemed cool to me, but there's no way to know every side of someone you've only met a few times.

I think that AJ and EMac and Doss, for that matter are great players but the idea that they're world champions is overcooked. To be the world champ, you just have to win the equivalent of one NT event and the title belongs to you. So basically you just need to kill it one weekend, which they've done. The number of players that are in the hunt week in and week out is growing, though, for sure. A better indicator of who's the best of the best is the year end NT points champion, rather than just winning one weekend.

A lot of the guys that are in the top 25 could win any given weekend, IMO. I don't think it's that these guys have dropped off, but that the rest of the talent pool has risen to their level in a hurry.

Last edited by justactnormal; 06-02-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: edit
Old 06-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by justactnormal View Post
I don't think it's a physical aging thing. Climo was still in the top 10 last year, I believe, and was playing MPO not Masters.
Yeah, but he is the champ...
Old 06-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
...I think that AJ and EMac and Doss, for that matter are great players but the idea that they're world champions is overcooked. To be the world champ, you just have to win the equivalent of one NT event and the title belongs to you...
Nate's done it three times. I believe he's earned it.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
LOL. Actually, all of them have won Worlds at least once.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 61
Quote:
I think that AJ and EMac and Doss, for that matter are great players but the idea that they're world champions is overcooked. To be the world champ, you just have to win the equivalent of one NT event and the title belongs to you. So basically you just need to kill it one weekend, which they've done.
World's is what, like 5 days? That's a long time to stay hot, especially if you're not that good

Now, if you're arguing that the courses used that week catered best to their styles of play (ie; Avery=open fields), I might buy that.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 3
I kind of wondered the same thing - particularly Emac at the GBO; he really wasn't in the mix at any point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj5304 View Post
I hate to say this but what is happening to Avery and Emac as of the last 2 seasons? Clearly we all know their ages are mid 30's, it is kind of amazing the level of play Feldberg has been able to sustain this long! I know the level of the game to win majors, NT, A tier is getting to the point of shooting 1060+ golf all weekend but surprising to consistantly see these 2 finishing 15-20 at virtually every A tier and NT they are in. Is it the change in bag for EMAC not having a buzzz and its costing him a couple per rd? Is age catching up and they are washed up in comparison to themselves in 2008? Is Feldy next?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
The lives these guys have lived so far, the work and time and travel is something very few can ever understand. Staying inspired and passionate is difficult, probably the hardest and most important factors in the game. Even harder when you've already been at the tippy top.

GSP said it best, I try to be better than I know I can be. If I meet my goal I'm done.

Last edited by Discwrangler; 06-02-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
This. Nate had a cool(er) year in 2012, but otherwise he has always been one of the hot players, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, when Nate's clicking he's certainly tough to beat, he has a very well rounded game. His stroke just looks so effortless.