Old 06-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOStheBOSS View Post
It's easy to have a good attitude when you're giving a lighthearted clinic, it's hard to keep your cool whenever you are losing weekend after weekend. (In tournaments with players at the world class level, anyways)

He basically shat on MJ when he shot that 41 at Worlds last year, one of the nicest guys in the world, not to mention disc golf Disc Golf. Who are you when no one (or a few people) are watching?
Interesting, I recall Avery's FB post saying he witnessed a near perfect round. It didn't sound to me like he had anything negative to say about MJ or his accomplishments at Worlds.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:44 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Exactly, we want people throwing to the landing zones, not as far as they can. Wouldnt the threat of a 2m rule encourage proper play? Most people have at least some version of a thumber or tomahawk, no stance at Bradford 8 so bad you don't have any look. The trees are max 12' right now. 3-4 years from now and it will look like we want. We removed all the briars and mowed between every tree when we made the course. We wanted to eliminate blackberries. It was awful. Its growing back thin grass, not thick enough to impede a run up. Once the trees close together errant throws wont have a shot over everything with an overhand... Anyways, probably wont have any rule changes. We got enough to do. More courses to build in Charlotte.
The difference is that you are requiring the player to throw over the trees on the design of the holes. If there was a long straight alley to the pin, sure, I could see it.

But it's impossible to play the hole without going over the trees - even to the safer landing zones. Therefore, the 2M rule isn't good on this hole.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 170
You dont even play anymore :-)
Old 06-17-2013, 03:51 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
You dont even play anymore :-)
I could still not throw a shot for a year and have more experience than 99% of players you know
Old 06-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Shark View Post
Interesting, I recall Avery's FB post saying he witnessed a near perfect round. It didn't sound to me like he had anything negative to say about MJ or his accomplishments at Worlds.
I don't remember exactly what the tweets said, but someone asked him "What was it like watching MJ's round?", to which AJ responded "It was a bunch of 300 foot shots."
Old 06-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 204
Quote:
I designed 8. It hasn't quite turned out like I planned. The goal was... you have to land in the "crop circles" or you are screwed. I wanted them to visually look like crop circles with lines between them from Aerial views. Unfortunatly during tournaments, we have spotters and you can just launch a drive, 450-550' with no worry of lost discs, then throw a thumber and have an easy bird.

The intention was landing zones (islands) for all skill levels. So you could go 400' 300', 230/230/230, or 175/175/175/175 zig zagging. The trees will get bigger and fuller, and I will go back and make the landing zones more circular in shape. The other option, that I dont care for but could support, is making them islands, marking the borders as OB, and forcing people to throw to the short grass.

The short tee is a bit long to throw a hyzer the whole way, but I just went out and trimmed most of the trees and took out about 100 cedars on the site line paths to give you a middle route option.

Robert, Pat, what do you think about 2M rule on cedar alley 8-11? Get some CA representation. Isnt that the point of cedar alley? Stay out of the Cedars?

(Side note: it was hilarious standing on Stan's truck, holding rope, as he drive in a semi-circle to make the short tee, long#1 LZ)
I dont like the 2m rule and it wont be incorporated into the Bradford open at least. Same deal with the OB circles. The fact that you cant see the landing zones from the teepad is probably what I don't like the most. It's just a guess as to where you throw unless you play there often. I love Bradford and play there all of the time but that hole is a nightmare because of the lost disc factor and maintenance. That one hole is the reason that I will also never have Rec Players play longs at the B.O.

I think it's a cool idea that just hasn't turned out as good as it sounds on paper.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveThrower43 View Post
I dont like the 2m rule and it wont be incorporated into the Bradford open at least. Same deal with the OB circles. The fact that you cant see the landing zones from the teepad is probably what I don't like the most. It's just a guess as to where you throw unless you play there often. I love Bradford and play there all of the time but that hole is a nightmare because of the lost disc factor and maintenance. That one hole is the reason that I will also never have Rec Players play longs at the B.O.

I think it's a cool idea that just hasn't turned out as good as it sounds on paper.
Its what the sight lines are for; so you can see where you can go for it, or where you need to layup in a closer circle. It just isnt played that way. The paths just arent formed properly yet, but they will be. I can think of many other holes in Charlotte that are harder to maintain. If maintained correctly, 5 circles/semi circles and the connecting sightlines are all that need to be mowed (by the park). The other maintenance issue is periodically trimming the tips of the cedars. Im the only one who has done that with Schleppy helping me clear them. Took a couple of hours between the 2 of us. 10 and 11 are harder because you actually have to mow around the trees.

Recs dont even play #8 or 9 at the Scrapyard. They aren't a good indication of skill needed to play a 700+' par 4.

But you are correct, it didnt turn out exactly how I wanted it. But it can get there. The circles need to be better shaped and the sightlines a little wider and better "aimed".

This is a record setting thread jack.