Old 07-16-2013, 01:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 184
Throwing Style: RHBH
I know this one person.............
Old 07-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Par Member

My family and I had a great time in Emporia and will be at 2014 Worlds next year.
My son placed 5th in MJ3 and we were AMAZED at the level of play. These young men will dominate as they get bigger and mature. I had a pretty good set of rounds and finished 49th in MM1. The people we met were great and the competition was incredible. Thanks again to DD and the PDGA! Great event.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Birdie Member

Since this is the best forum on the web relating to 2013 Am World Championship, I'd like to use it to express my appreciation to Jeremy Rusco, Dynamic Discs and the town of Emporia. What a terrific experience! To a person, everyone I talked to was friendly, engaging and interested in what the sport was bringing to their town.

I enjoyed all the restaurants we tried, but gotta say, tops were the ribeye and rack o’ ribs at the Wagon Wheel (I love that place), the hamburger at Do-B’s, and hands down the best sweet potato fries I’ve ever had at Bobby D’s.

Privileges at the Emporia Country Club were a great touch. The pool water must come from deep underground because on a 105 day (heat index 113) that pool was as cool and refreshing as any I’ve ever jumped into. Tasty beer specials, too.

For me, tourney logistics were impeccable, and the ease of access to everything – courses, restaurants, hotels, downtown – made keeping on schedule leisurely. The only element I found lacking was limited course information. On the longer courses, especially, a caddy book with incremental distances should have been the ante for a World Championship event. On all those 500+, 600+, 700+ and 800+ holes we found ourselves guessing at 2nd, 3rd and approach shot distances.

That aside, of the three Worlds I’ve played, I enjoyed this one the most (yes, even more than my homeboy Charlotte one). It was the most competitive tournament, at any level, I’ve played. I believe our group (MS1) had the best battle of all the divisions – through six rounds there were five different leaders and 10 different players within four shots of the lead.

It was the first time I’ve played in that sort of wind, on courses that open and long. At home there’s no wind, and par 4s usually dogleg a coupla times through the woods. I had decided pre-arrival that I would throw slower, stable discs, trying to learn some wind basics. I spent the tourney flicking a 150 Firebird, driving with 167 PDs and approaching with a Whippet, Pig and Rhyno.

How to throw and putt was a mystery to me for three practice and three competition days. I was 6 back at the end of the 1st round, then 3 back, then 7 back after the 5th round. In the sixth round I shot steady, right at my rating, and in a totally unexpected occurrence the whole lead card blew up, shooting 5-to-7 shots worse than me. I was shocked to find myself entering the 6th round tied for the lead with two others, with four more guys right behind.

The title was up for grabs, and when it counted the most I shot one of the best rounds of my life, posting a 3-under 970-rated 52 in the semis on Jones East that included a white-hot stretch of five birdies in seven holes that slammed the door shut. The best anyone else could muster was 4-over. Out of nowhere, and never even having sniffed the lead through five rounds, I was seven ahead going to the Country Club. That’s a 14-shot swing in two rounds, which almost never, ever happens. I held serve in the Final Nine, shooting 2-under to win by seven. Still hard to believe.

All in all, win or lose, Emporia was top notch. My hat’s off to Jeremy for his ballsiness in bringing Worlds to his town, and to the DD crew and Parks staff for making it a thoroughly unique experience.

And lastly, I want to say the first day I was in Emporia, I drank a glass of tap water from the bathroom sink and when I called my wife that night told her, “Dang, this may be the best tasting tap water I’ve ever had.” Then come to find out, indeed, Emporia water won the distinction in 2012 of being the “World’s Best Tasting Tap Water.”

Damn, that’s a fine glass of water. Thanks, Emporia.

-- Jim Banbury
Old 07-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 96
So, it really is the water!

Makos? I love Makos. I started to cry inside when I lost my Star Mako not once, but twice. First time at PP throwing multiple practice shots and I left it behind. I actually was missing it throughout the round - 'wish I had my Mako'. Then, at Jones Park for Friday night Ace Race, I lost it for about an hour. Yes - I lost a disc during an ace race. Shut up.

Steve - probably won't play the DD Emporia Open, have lot's of tourney's in KC coming up. Speaking of which here is a little plug:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=91226

https://www.facebook.com/events/200822116734355/

Player's Pack:

1-2 Discs
Stool
Dri Fit Shirt (if you pre-register by July 18)
Re-usable Score Card with mechanical golf pencil
Box
Patch
Other odds and ends
Old 07-16-2013, 11:19 PM

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: LHBH
They didn't announce it during Worlds, as they have done previously, but I just found it posted on the PDGA site that 2014 Minneapolis Amateur Worlds is July 19th-26th.

http://www.pdga.com/pdga-major-events
Old 07-18-2013, 01:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
They didn't announce it during Worlds, as they have done previously, but I just found it posted on the PDGA site that 2014 Minneapolis Amateur Worlds is July 19th-26th.

http://www.pdga.com/pdga-major-events
The representative from the Minneapolis planning team that spoke at the Awards Ceremony mentioend these dates.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martin View Post
So, it really is the water!

Makos? I love Makos. I started to cry inside when I lost my Star Mako not once, but twice. First time at PP throwing multiple practice shots and I left it behind. I actually was missing it throughout the round - 'wish I had my Mako'. Then, at Jones Park for Friday night Ace Race, I lost it for about an hour. Yes - I lost a disc during an ace race. Shut up.

Steve - probably won't play the DD Emporia Open, have lot's of tourney's in KC coming up. Speaking of which here is a little plug:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=91226

https://www.facebook.com/events/200822116734355/

Player's Pack:

1-2 Discs
Stool
Dri Fit Shirt (if you pre-register by July 18)
Re-usable Score Card with mechanical golf pencil
Box
Patch
Other odds and ends
That's a good player pack. I'll make sure to let you know if I'm planning a trip up that way.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 AM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinthrift View Post
Since this is the best forum on the web relating to 2013 Am World Championship, I'd like to use it to express my appreciation to Jeremy Rusco, Dynamic Discs and the town of Emporia. What a terrific experience! To a person, everyone I talked to was friendly, engaging and interested in what the sport was bringing to their town.

I enjoyed all the restaurants we tried, but gotta say, tops were the ribeye and rack o ribs at the Wagon Wheel (I love that place), the hamburger at Do-Bs, and hands down the best sweet potato fries Ive ever had at Bobby Ds.

Privileges at the Emporia Country Club were a great touch. The pool water must come from deep underground because on a 105 day (heat index 113) that pool was as cool and refreshing as any Ive ever jumped into. Tasty beer specials, too.

For me, tourney logistics were impeccable, and the ease of access to everything courses, restaurants, hotels, downtown made keeping on schedule leisurely. The only element I found lacking was limited course information. On the longer courses, especially, a caddy book with incremental distances should have been the ante for a World Championship event. On all those 500+, 600+, 700+ and 800+ holes we found ourselves guessing at 2nd, 3rd and approach shot distances.

That aside, of the three Worlds Ive played, I enjoyed this one the most (yes, even more than my homeboy Charlotte one). It was the most competitive tournament, at any level, Ive played. I believe our group (MS1) had the best battle of all the divisions through six rounds there were five different leaders and 10 different players within four shots of the lead.

It was the first time Ive played in that sort of wind, on courses that open and long. At home theres no wind, and par 4s usually dogleg a coupla times through the woods. I had decided pre-arrival that I would throw slower, stable discs, trying to learn some wind basics. I spent the tourney flicking a 150 Firebird, driving with 167 PDs and approaching with a Whippet, Pig and Rhyno.

How to throw and putt was a mystery to me for three practice and three competition days. I was 6 back at the end of the 1st round, then 3 back, then 7 back after the 5th round. In the sixth round I shot steady, right at my rating, and in a totally unexpected occurrence the whole lead card blew up, shooting 5-to-7 shots worse than me. I was shocked to find myself entering the 6th round tied for the lead with two others, with four more guys right behind.

The title was up for grabs, and when it counted the most I shot one of the best rounds of my life, posting a 3-under 970-rated 52 in the semis on Jones East that included a white-hot stretch of five birdies in seven holes that slammed the door shut. The best anyone else could muster was 4-over. Out of nowhere, and never even having sniffed the lead through five rounds, I was seven ahead going to the Country Club. Thats a 14-shot swing in two rounds, which almost never, ever happens. I held serve in the Final Nine, shooting 2-under to win by seven. Still hard to believe.

All in all, win or lose, Emporia was top notch. My hats off to Jeremy for his ballsiness in bringing Worlds to his town, and to the DD crew and Parks staff for making it a thoroughly unique experience.

And lastly, I want to say the first day I was in Emporia, I drank a glass of tap water from the bathroom sink and when I called my wife that night told her, Dang, this may be the best tasting tap water Ive ever had. Then come to find out, indeed, Emporia water won the distinction in 2012 of being the Worlds Best Tasting Tap Water.

Damn, thats a fine glass of water. Thanks, Emporia.

-- Jim Banbury
That's an awesome week. If you live in Emporia then move the first and sometimes only thing you miss is the water. I've lived in Wichita and Waco and both cities have disgusting water. It's the only place I've ever stayed in a hotel and drank from the sink instead of buying bottled water. Glad you enjoyed the Wagon Wheel. We've been friends with the owners since I was a kid. They may take an extra minute to refill your drink but the food is worth it. Congrats on your win. Glad you learned a little about playing in the wind. I actually thought it was the calmest week of the year so make sure you come back in April for the GBO if you want lesson two.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
I would be surprised if he does.
You are right in that regard. No one has ever said that to my face.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven2361 View Post
You are right in that regard. No one has ever said that to my face.
i've heard it when you kick all their butts at WI events haha.