Old 07-07-2013, 10:05 PM

Pd freak vs teebird

I'm interested in buying the pd because I heard it is like a teebird on steroids. I can currently drive my teebird between 250 and 275 on a consistent basis. How much extra distance could I expect to get out of the pd freak if I decide to get it?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHBH
If your not even hitting 300 with your Teebird your not ready for a PD yet.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 75
You may like an S PD, but if those are the distances you are getting with your TB, then I would recommend a River to get you over 300'.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 54
Once you start getting your Teebirds out to around 350 or so, I would suggest picking up a PD. At your current distances, though, there's just no need to use a PD isntead of a Teebird. It won't get any more distance, and it won't be as easy to control.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Stick to the birds until you can push them out further.

As far as the PD is concerned, I like it because it can handle wind better than a Tbird and it penetrate a lower line. It reminds me of a mix between a Eagle with it's HSS turn and a Tbird fade. The best plastic seems to be the "S" plastic. The "P" will break in quicker but it will make a good turnover driver as well as shaping lines. The "C" plastic is going to be more similar to a Predator.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
Stick to the birds until you can push them out further.

As far as the PD is concerned, I like it because it can handle wind better than a Tbird and it penetrate a lower line. It reminds me of a mix between a Eagle with it's HSS turn and a Tbird fade. The best plastic seems to be the "S" plastic. The "P" will break in quicker but it will make a good turnover driver as well as shaping lines. The "C" plastic is going to be more similar to a Predator.
I agree with what you said but you really think C - Line PD is Pred OS?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.9
Courses Played: 35
Yeesh already with this?

The question isn't so much distance as it is control. I, for one, appreciate your honesty in regards to your distance. it isn't necessary to hit a certain distance...there's all sort of other issues, physical limitations, etc. that might rob you of straight distance. Just remember that distance isn't the be all and end all of disc golf.

HOWEVER, considering you aren't getting super long distances with your Teebird, and your question was simply "how much extra distance can I get with a PD" the answer is: not much. Everyone here is correct in that regard. A Teebird is more than capable of going past 400 feet in the right hands, so you can see you haven't quite unlocked the potential of the Teebird yet. When you start stretching the 'Bird out past 300, then you might be set. But for right now, the PD is actually going to act just like your Teebird, but with a harder fade. You probably won't get much more than 20-30 feet out of it, and sacrifice a lot of control.

here's my tip (take it for what it's worth, I'm by no means a pro) when you have absolute control over that Teebird at all times, when you start to see turn out of it when you want it (as in you are making the disc dance) and when it has stopped fading super-hard at the end, then you might be ready for a PD. But if the Teebird, for you, is still straight with a big fade (as I suspect it might be) then you need to keep practicing.

it's also good you came to the forums...it's a great place to get advice. So welcome, and hope this thread helps.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
PDs is more overstable and a little longer on low lines. I think a more direct comparison for c and s PDs would be a champ or star eagle x than a teebird. You definitely don't want one until you're throwing 300' with TeeBirds consistently bare minimum.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:51 PM

I can get over 300 if I throw hard I just prefer not to for accuracy purposes once I get past the 250-275 range the disc starts to fade a lot more. I am only 16 and still fairly new to disc golf so i feel like my driving distances are only going to improve. The teebird is by far my favorite disc and I finds self using it on longer holes even though I can't drive it 400 feet yet just because I love the accuracy. This is why I was looking into a disc like the freak. I want a disc with a similar flight that I get to go farther. If the freak isn't a good disc for me yet what other suggestions would fit what I'm looking for?

Old 07-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
I agree with what you said but you really think C - Line PD is Pred OS?
I picked up some of the glow C-PDs and they are definitely pred OS.