#1  
Old 06-13-2011, 03:10 PM
aceaddiction10 aceaddiction10 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Niceville, FL
Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 18
Talking Playing in the wind

I am used to playing in Northwest Florida where there is almost no wind when I play. I am out in Texas playing for a couple of weeks and the wind here is out of this world! I am looking for tips, techniques and personal experiences about playing in winding conditions.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-13-2011, 03:17 PM
dkoz's Avatar
dkoz dkoz is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: mentor ohio
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 670
In Ohio " alot of wind " Nose down and heavier disc's, if you can throw your disc's low you will be in good shape. I am a newer guy to the sport but on windy days thats what works for me and my scores are not that bad!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-13-2011, 03:17 PM
optidiscic's Avatar
optidiscic optidiscic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Discopolis Pennsylvania
Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 155
Posts: 6,569
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
the simplest advice is that the wind will do the following

headwind-speeds up your throw causing a disc to be more understable...throw a disc beyond your arm speed
tailwind-slows a disc down causing it to perform more stable...throw a disc below your armspeed
nose up into wind will glide upwards dramatically...esp putting
nose down into wind will push a disc down dramatically..esp putting

In before da prerube yo

typically theres crosswinds from non direct directions just use the
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-13-2011, 03:18 PM
optidiscic's Avatar
optidiscic optidiscic is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Discopolis Pennsylvania
Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 155
Posts: 6,569
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoz View Post
In Ohio " alot of wind " Nose down and heavier disc's, if you can throw your disc's low you will be in good shape. I am a newer guy to the sport but on windy days thats what works for me and my scores are not that bad!
heavier discs just add more stability which is what you wanna do in a headwind but not a tailwind
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2011, 03:19 PM
leftyone leftyone is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceaddiction10 View Post
I am used to playing in Northwest Florida where there is almost no wind when I play. I am out in Texas playing for a couple of weeks and the wind here is out of this world! I am looking for tips, techniques and personal experiences about playing in winding conditions.
heres what i can tell u from my experience in the NE
Driving:
overstable into the head wind
understable tailwind

Putting:
release lower into headwind (your disc will rise)
aim higher with tailwind (your disc will get knocked down)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2011, 03:19 PM
notroman's Avatar
notroman notroman is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Highland Park, IL
Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 178
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,381
To expand on what optidiscic said, here's a good article full of useful information:

http://www.discraft.com/res_wind06_p1.html

Read that then go to a field and throw a ton of drives. You'll figure it out eventually.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-13-2011, 03:20 PM
ATrainWecker's Avatar
ATrainWecker ATrainWecker is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Monterey, CA
Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 31
Posts: 695
I think practice in wind makes perfect. You will remember when that crazy wind flipped your putter like crazy on that upshot, and learn to adjust accordingly. Being able to read the wind properly is very important. Overstable discs will help out in a crazy headwind. So if you are turning over a lot of shots, throw with more hyzer and/or throw something more stable.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-13-2011, 03:21 PM
leftyone leftyone is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
the simplest advice is that the wind will do the following

headwind-speeds up your throw causing a disc to be more understable...throw a disc beyond your arm speed
tailwind-slows a disc down causing it to perform more stable...throw a disc below your armspeed
nose up into wind will glide upwards dramatically...esp putting
nose down into wind will push a disc down dramatically..esp putting

In before da prerube yo

typically theres crosswinds from non direct directions just use the
ok u posted 2 min before me and we pretty much said the same thing,
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-13-2011, 03:31 PM
dkoz's Avatar
dkoz dkoz is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: mentor ohio
Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by optidiscic View Post
heavier discs just add more stability which is what you wanna do in a headwind but not a tailwind
Gotcha even in the tailwind I still throw mine low. I feel like if I throw nose up I will lose control and accuracy so I throw more of a line drive and I hit my mark.........How high do you throw your disc in a tailwind? level flat area say 450 ft hole.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 06-13-2011, 03:50 PM
aceaddiction10 aceaddiction10 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Niceville, FL
Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 18
Head/Tailwind vs glide

Quote:
headwind-speeds up your throw causing a disc to be more understable...throw a disc beyond your arm speed
tailwind-slows a disc down causing it to perform more stable...throw a disc below your armspeed
What about the glide with head/tail wind?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.