Old 07-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 37.3
Courses Played: 179
Throwing Style: RHBH
The PDGA does post a list of suspended members, and the reason why. A few of them are on there for not paying fees, and the list is posted for the public to see.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
This clearly demonstrates what a toothless tiger you are Shive.
Holy guacamole! Mikey Kernan has arrived. DGCR Forums are slowly morphing into the PDGA DISCussion boards of yore. Well......these boards are more tightly moderated.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 37.3
Courses Played: 179
MikeK from NoLa! You are right, he is here!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shive View Post
John tells us that it cost over $30,000 to produce the recent Memorial video, and invites us to watch it (http://youtu.be/Q0B8eVcYgfw). Please do so, and then ask yourself what its intrinsic value should be. Ask yourself, for example, how much more it is worth than Jonathan Gomez’s clip from the 2012 Pro Worlds (www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZBbSH4n2dU), which cost us nothing.
Where is the archived footage og Jonathan Gomez' 4 days of live coverage, that DGP.tv also provided for that amount? I need that information to make the comparison.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
Holy guacamole! Mikey Kernan has arrived. DGCR Forums are slowly morphing into the PDGA DISCussion boards of yore. Well......these boards are more tightly moderated.
If by that you mean anything goes except that which Holly F and her exquisite fanny pack does not approve, then yes. Otherwise you must have forgot the /sarc on that one.

I've been here longer than most btw. I can almost remember when Shive still had his own teeth.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 113
How I would change the PDGA. Eliminate the PRO/AM distinction. Create two distinct types of tournament structures: divisional and open. The divisional structure will look much like a regular PDGA tournament today with divisions based on age or skill or both, left up to the discretion of the TD. The main difference would be an actual division (or two) above advanced, rather than an open “division.” In the divisional structure competitors would accumulate points to gain an invitation to the divisional world championships. Competitors are always free to play “up” divisions.

Open tournaments would be just that, open to all competitors. Open tournaments would act as qualifiers for higher level events, culminating in the open world championships. Competitors would advance up through the ranks of a competitive system to achieve an invitation to this event. Perhaps the top 40-50% of the field in any particular tournament qualifies to advance to the next level (regionals, etc.). This satisfies those looking to disc golf as more of a serious, competitive sport.

Payout structures could be altered to better fit the new system. All competitors could be paid out in cash. If it’s important to a competitor to retain true amateur status then payout could be made in merchandise. Payout structures could be reset in the more realistic 80-90% range to better compensate TDs. The “tour” would morph into a number of smaller mini-tours attracting a greater number of competitors.

In my opinion, this would provide each individual disc golfer with two distinct competitive outlets from which to choose. Everyone would be eligible to play in every single event, no need to restrict player options by needlessly calling them AM or PRO. A single competitor could win both a divisional world championships and an open world championships in the same year. I don’t believe this would add much of a strain on the organization to achieve. And finally, charge everyone the same price to join the PDGA for crying out loud.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoakimBL View Post
Where is the archived footage og Jonathan Gomez' 4 days of live coverage, that DGP.tv also provided for that amount? I need that information to make the comparison.
Access to live video footage is irrelevant for the purpose of assessing DGPtv's production values vs. other content providers since Mr. Deusler specifically cited and linked DGPtv's postproduced video of The Memorial as evidence DGPtv's production capabilities.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGRZ001 View Post
The PDGA does post a list of suspended members, and the reason why. A few of them are on there for not paying fees, and the list is posted for the public to see.
Yes, but as I said, a number of delinquent TD's are not suspended and are allowed to continue to run tournaments. It doesn't help that a public list is posted, because their names are not on it, so members don't know who they are.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Par Member

Toothless? Maybe, but not stupid.

Welcome to the thread, Mike. I have been expecting you. Better late than never.

I did what I could. Here's a motion from the June Board minutes.
"MOTION (Shive)
Starting in January 2014, the PDGA will inform the membership of all TD’s who are delinquent in fee payments but are still being allowed to direct tournaments.
The motion does not receive a second and dies."

The rest of the Board obviously felt that it is in the best interests of the PDGA to keep the information secret from the membership. Yes, I could publish the names on my own, or give them to you to publish. And if I did, I would be violating a duty of confidentiality and would be promptly dismissed from the Board, with good reason. It would be stupid to go down in flames for this cause. There are bigger fish to fry.

I'm ready to get voted off, but not to betray a confidence that is part of the job I undertook. If that makes me toothless, so be it.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 59
I can't find a copy of the June minutes on the PDGA site. Have they been posted yet?