Old 07-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Peter,

I think I remember when you were last running for the BoD you mentioned something about splitting the pDGA between Pros and Ams and something along the lines of making the Pro side a for-profit. if this was you, have you ever presented this to the rest of the board?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by shive View Post
See comments in red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shive View Post
I do not know about the economics of spectator Table Tennis or Kayaking in Europe. You can put almost anything on TV that you want if you have enough money to pay for it. The questions that need to be answered first are:
1) How much did it cost to produce and televise the Eurpoean Open show?
2) Who paid for it?
3) How many people actually watched it?
4) What were the positive results of the watching?
I have no clue who paid for it or what it cost but about 270,000 people watched Paul McBeth's final putt. The positive results of the live broadcast include recreational players deciding to play more competitively and casual viewers deciding to take the game up as a hobby. Park departments may decide to put more courses in because it was broadcast on National TV as well.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 315
TV in Finland must suck.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
I don't want to derail this thread, but dscmn's expressed opinion doesn't make any sense to me. What's wrong with competing against people at your own skill level, rather than only ever competing against professional athletes? There must be something more to his comment than meets my eye.

In an effort to bring the post back to the topic, I wonder if the current board members believe the PDGA has enough resources to effectively "serve" the goals of both the pros (the "p" in PDGA) and the amateurs. If not, which class of players is going to get the lion's share?
I don't think we can agree on what constitutes a "professional" athlete if you think I'm one. Professional in disc golf simply means willing to compete against anyone. That's it. I have no problem with competitions that limit competitors by skill level. The problem arises when competitors are disallowed from competing in these skill-based competitions, ones in which they qualify, simply because of their willingness to welcome all competitors in other open competitions.

Don't forget that the entire divisional structure created and maintained by the pdga and the ratings system of the pdga is entirely for the benefit of amateur competition. Neither is necessary for open style competitions. That is certainly a big chunk of the lion's share.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscmn View Post
I think the most obvious example of entitlement in the AM ranks is the expectation of showing up at an athletic competition and not having to compete with those competitors who happen to be better than they are at that particular athletic endeavor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashzero View Post
I think what the PDGA and the sport has done is create an entitlement mentality with AM's. They have pandered to lower players too much, and now they have taken away the motivation to improve and play at a higher level. Its easier to just turn against the pros than to try and become one, and now they have support on that stance.
interesting that the pros think that the AMs feel entitled and the AMs think the pros feel entitled. however, i noticed both of these people complete skipped over (ignored) Mashnuts post.
@crashzero
i dont think you quite have it right. its not about not trying to move up, i think alot of AMs are self-defeatist and feel like they will never make it to the status so the give up and settle. but really who cares if an am wants to be an am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I'd be interested in hearing how you think there's more of an entitlement mentality in the am side of the sport than in the pros where it's expected that money will be taken from the am side of the tournament and TDs will spend volunteer time drumming up sponsorship money to pay them to play a game.
i happen to think both parties have become overly entitled. from the pros thinking they should get every ounce of resources from the TD and AMs to the AMs feeling they deserve a players pack and payout and more protecting from bagging. the entitlement street goes both ways.
but i still am curious, why do pros feel entitled to all the added cash and profits from a TD?
And the same question goes, why do AMs feel entitled to receiving a players pack/payout?
honestly i cant answer each myself, i am not a pro, nor do i feel added cash should always go to the pros. personally i feel that added cash should be distributed based on division participation. and AMs certainly do nto deserve a players pack at any event. the only thing i feel i should get when i arrive at a tournament is a welcome and a caddy book.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosteve View Post
The positive results of the live broadcast include recreational players deciding to play more competitively and casual viewers deciding to take the game up as a hobby.
Really? Less than a week after the broadcast, and you already have the statistics to show a measurable uptick in the number of players competing in tournaments and the number of new and/or first-time players? Or is this just another instance of Dueslerian hyperbole?
Old 07-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Really? Less than a week after the broadcast, and you already have the statistics to show a measurable uptick in the number of players competing in tournaments and the number of new and/or first-time players? Or is this just another instance of Dueslerian hyperbole?
Google trends show that there have been a lot of people googling disc golf in Finland.
http://www.google.com/trends/explore...&geo=FI&cmpt=q
Old 07-25-2013, 12:37 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
personally i feel that added cash should be distributed based on division participation.
This is exactly how most of the tournaments I play in around SW and Mid-Missouri are done... the added cash is divided into the divisions base on each division field size. That's how I got $147 voucher for winning Rec a few weeks back!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post
This is exactly how most of the tournaments I play in around SW and Mid-Missouri are done... the added cash is divided into the divisions base on each division field size. That's how I got $147 voucher for winning Rec a few weeks back!
*Warning* Prepare for the "this encourages sandbagging" comments ahead.

I would think the business who gave the TD that money would want it to be put towards the eyes that are actually seeing it. Whether it be Jrs, Ams, or Pros. But hey call me crazy.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosteve View Post
Google trends show that there have been a lot of people googling disc golf in Finland.
http://www.google.com/trends/explore...&geo=FI&cmpt=q
BHFD. All that shows is that relatively more people in Finland searched for disc golf during and immediately following the broadcast than previously. It doesn't tell you whether the actual number of searches represents a 2x, 3x, 5x, 20x, or 100x increase over the previous high, or the number of searches uptick represents: A 10x increase from 20 searches is not significant; a 2x increase from 100,000 is.

So how many recreational players have started playing competitively and how many casual viewers actually took up disc golf as a hobby (implies continuing, regular participation, as opposed to tried it once or twice for kicks, as a result of the broadcast?