I didn't see this coming.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:18 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 750
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodysseus View Post
This is ridiculous. And is more confirmation of my belief that the PDGA itself is ridiculous.
I'm not sure how it's any fault of the PDGA that one of their elected board members chose to wait until after the election to announce he wasn't going to bother doing the job he was elected for.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Par Member

To those who think I should have stayed on the Board and fought for you, consider this:

1) I busted my butt for you for two years. I accomplished absolutely nothing for you. In that sense I was a completely ineffective board member. I failed, utterly. The imbalance between the elites and the little people is only going to accelerate, and I know now that I wouldn’t be able to affect that if I were on the Board ten years.

2) COI reform, in my opinion badly needed, was my test case. It was also a necessary condition for my staying. I thought it was a lock. I was certain I could get it done, but went down in flames. If I couldn’t get that passed, I wouldn't ever be able to get anything passed.

3) Remaining on the Board would only handicap me, because I would not be able to speak as candidly to you as I would like, and I would not be able to explore opportunities for you outside the PDGA. Ironically, those who would be best served by my staying on the Board are those who disagree with my program.

4) There’s a lot of difference between heresy and treason. I could be on the Board as a heretic (as I was), but not as a traitor (as I would have to be). So I need to be out of there, the Board needs me to be out of there, and you need me to be out of there.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:18 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 750
While some have expressed the fact that they wanted you to remain, there are lots of others (including me) that are more upset you decided to go with the option that was easiest for you rather than the one that would result in a legitimate election for that board position (another cause you claimed was important to you).
Old 08-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Banned

Stop hating on the guy.

He didnt like it there so he gtfo!

Goodluck shive :-P
Old 08-16-2013, 05:32 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by #19325 View Post
I have nothing nice to day rather than I'm glad Shawn will be on the PDGA Board. He'll do a fantastic job!
I've met Shawn from back in the day when he and JohnE were the top Gateway pros. Dave West is actually a very good friend of mine. Either one would do a fine job. Shawn is probably more well know since he has been a top player, but Dave West is a very qualified person as well. It's too bad one of them were not elected in the first place.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 23
I wasted my vote on someone that convinced me to vote for them. Then quit when they won.

Reason: I give up because I don't think I will succeed.

I'm really not that upset about who is taking his place. Just the principal of deception.

Last edited by fliphyzer; 08-16-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Eagle Member

Peter, I can kinda sorta understand why you feel like you had to leave, but can you understand why people are upset that you basically mislead those of us who voted this year? It seems like you have constructed a labyrinthian thought process that justifies quitting and deflects the blame from yourself onto others. Honesty is important and while it seems like you are being honest now, it also appears like you intentionally mislead us before. Trust is a delicate thing and I'm wondering if I can trust anything that you say. I wish you luck and truly hope you have good intentions, but for now, I'm dubious at best.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 79
Hey guys, I have this perfect piece of property you all should consider buying. It would make a great disc golf course. All i need is 2,000 people to send me $10 and bang.. this is a sure deal. Here's why: *insert list of everything all investors want to hear*.

2,000 people invested. Yay!

Oh by the way, I'm going to not pursue any of the original plans, turn over the project to somebody you may or may not have known about, and then go do something else because I realized right before i started collecting investors that i even though i put a lot of time in already, this thing is likely going nowhere and i sorta hoped it failed anyway. So i know you all understand this move because i personally feel this is better for me. It's certainly better for you too since the other guy is in control of your investment. But don't worry, I'm going to continue to make a difference in the sport in other ways, because you know me I am for the little guy.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disc qualified View Post
Peter, I can kinda sorta understand why you feel like you had to leave, but can you understand why people are upset that you basically mislead those of us who voted this year? It seems like you have constructed a labyrinthian thought process that justifies quitting and deflects the blame from yourself onto others. Honesty is important and while it seems like you are being honest now, it also appears like you intentionally mislead us before. Trust is a delicate thing and I'm wondering if I can trust anything that you say. I wish you luck and truly hope you have good intentions, but for now, I'm dubious at best.
Good post. Of course I can understand why people are upset, and I don't mind taking my lumps for it. I've indulged in more than enough self-serving justification, and in the future will only answer reasonable direct questions like yours. It's no one else's fault. I miscalculated in two ways. I should have foreseen in April that the optimism I had then then was misplaced, and not run at all. After filing for reelection, I should have made sure that I had completed presenting my initiatives to the Board before the voting started. I regret the result.

I am concerned that you believe that I intentionally misled you "before". What motive could possibly explain my doing that deliberately? But certainly, if you do believe it, then I can easily understand and accept the loss of trust.