Old 06-13-2013, 01:46 AM

Courses Played: 12
Backhand Drive Technique Critique

Hey there DGCR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exMHBxQ3LrQ

Here's a Youtube video of some fieldwork that I did to get a picture of what my LHBH drives are looking like. If there's anything that you see that I can improve on or can help me improve in any way, im the guy in the dark blue Dynamic shirt and appreciate any and all criticism coming my way.
Thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: RHBH
Seems like you are throwing pretty well compared to most people who post videos on here.

Here are a couple of predictions:

1. Accuracy is not your strong point.
2. You have a lot of drives that end up fading right sooner than you would like.

First of all, you have a bit of what I call the Tim Tebow problem. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. If your disc moves on straight lines through your throw you put as much energy into the disc on its flight as possible rather than using it up to actually throw the disc. When you reach back, don't let the disc dip down. It might help to take your right hand off this disc. Your pull through looks better, but it still appears that there is some curve on a verticle plane. This is evident in that it appears as though you are almost pulling through your knees rather than your core.

Second, your reach back is only giving you about 60% to 70% of what it could be. Take your eyes completely off the target and let the eyes in the back of your head look at the target. Yes, everyone has eyes in the back of your head, just take some time to imagine they are there. If you can think about that, and take your right hand off your disc sooner, you will be able to reach back further and gain that extra power.

Third, there appear to be some issues with your grip and wrist angle. It is hard to pin point in a video like this simply because I cannto see your grip, but I suspect that the grip is causing the bad wrist angle at least half the time. Your wrist needs to be kept nice and straight, almsot pointed down, in some of your throws your wrist points up and you throw the disc nice and high. There is one throw early one where we see your reaction and you are clearly upset about how high you threw your disc. That was pretty much all wrist angle.

There are lots of good videos on You Tube that you could watch to get some more pointers. I highly reccomend that you check out Will Schusterick in his new driving tips video. I hope this all helps!

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
I would agree. Looks like if you were to stay upright a little more, it would help. You are falling off to the side on your follow through, which says that you're off balance. You want to lean over your disc like you are doing, but you may be doing it a little too much, which sometimes throws you off and probably hurts the consistancy of your shots. Stay a little more upright, and follow through straight ahead to ensure as much of your momentum goes into the shot as possible.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the detailed breakdown guys, it's helping me tons! I'm starting to see other things that I can really fix while looking for the instances that you guys have brought up. The throw at 9:08 may be the best evidence for my lack of a heel-turn and how little I'm utilizing my reach back.
Keep em coming!
Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 106
Agreed with all the above. Looks like you are falling over as an adjustment for a "grip lock" throw. You are too open on the plant and releasing/whipping your levers to the left instead of toward the target.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 15
you arent rotating on your heal.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:44 AM

You're right DukDuk, and I had no clue I was missing this point until I saw it on video. The video does not lie! Definitely something I need to work on to get more rotation through the shot. Good eye. Thanks for the comment!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 106
You plant open and shift your weight from in front of you which makes it nearly impossible to pivot on the heel. You need to close your stance and transfer your weight from behind you:
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 24
Sidewinder22- Probably a stupid question but..When you say he plants with an open stance do you mean that he has his hips already pointed towards the target instead of being perpendicular?

Old 06-14-2013, 01:26 PM

PCDG13, I think what he means is that my plant foot is not perpendicular in order to get a full rotation on my heel. My foot is out a bit facing the target before I release the disc, disabling me to get a faster rotation on my heel, therefore not letting me get the most efficient transfer of energy throughout the shot. Is this what you mean, Sidewinder22 or anyone else?