Old 06-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 45
Southern Nationals

I've been looking at the Southern Nationals platform and really like what I see. I think I am going to forego renewing my PDGA membership and play in the Southern Nationals. My current reasons: No membership fee, points series to qualify for a championship, $2 from every entry is taken out and of that $2, $1.75 is returned to the division it was taken from for payouts at the championship, my membership fees (or lack there of) won't be funneled up to prop up a pro tour.
My question is, are there any Southern Nationals players here? If so what are your pros/cons?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2013, 09:36 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 819
Throwing Style: RHBH
Southern Nationals isn't really a PDGA alternative. They don't try to influence the direction or growth of the sport, they don't regulate equipment and they don't provide things like event insurance. They're a bigger version of your local points series, which seems like a really cool thing to me. I just don't think the two are mutually exclusive.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 66
The obvious con of playing southern nationals for you would be that they are not close to Nashville. Some Southern Nationals tournaments are also sanctioned with the PDGA.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Birdie Member

They're different for sure, but they have plenty of tournaments so that I can play solely Southern Nationals tournaments. I think they're great at what they do, a player run series that is actually non profit and non BS. No stupid footage on a beach volleyball network, or octo copter coverage no one cares about. The Southern Nationals just seems more player friendly....It may not replace the PDGA in whole but I think it will replace the PDGA for me.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosteve View Post
The obvious con of playing southern nationals for you would be that they are not close to Nashville. Some Southern Nationals tournaments are also sanctioned with the PDGA.
This is true, but there are some in Huntsville which is very close and in and around Memphis which is only a few hours drive. I also plan to try to td some Southern Nationals events in Nashville. I think they'll be very well accepted here. Especially at the Fontanel which just got a course put in by Will Shusterick. It's on private property and they have a cafe/bar on site, and since you can drink during Southern Nationals events it seems perfect.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:47 PM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 110
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYdischippy View Post
I've been looking at the Southern Nationals platform and really like what I see. I think I am going to forego renewing my PDGA membership and play in the Southern Nationals. My current reasons: No membership fee, points series to qualify for a championship, $2 from every entry is taken out and of that $2, $1.75 is returned to the division it was taken from for payouts at the championship, my membership fees (or lack there of) won't be funneled up to prop up a pro tour.
My question is, are there any Southern Nationals players here? If so what are your pros/cons?
You do realize that you get points in PDGA events that qualify for worlds right? And that the PDGA gives money to not only am events, but groups that support and teach disc golf?

I don't see Southern Nationals giving money for grants to new clubs or school programs or anything like that.

Southern Nationals to me can be summed up in one phrase - it's great for players who want to not see the sport grow.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYdischippy View Post
Good for you man, play in the events you want to!

I wish there was an unsanctioned tournament scene here in Illinois. I find good events here and there, but nothing spectacular.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 247
There's more SN events here than PDGA events so for the sake of my car I play a bit more of the former now. For the most part they are well run and the people playing are generally more friendly and less serious about themselves than at a PDGA event. Guess its more of the southern hospitality aspect of life here. With that, I'd say at least half of the SN events I've played have had lunch catered to us. Only PDGA events that did that for us were the two Majors I played in. That adds more to the community feeling of things as the people really care to see you have a good time. From what I've seen, every SN event has had lower entry fees across the board than PDGA events. Most people here don't care to join the PDGA cause they don't see an advantage to it and don't consider ratings important or know what they are. The common comment I hear is 'why pay extra for nothing,' and to a certain degree I see their point. I still enjoy the more competitive nature of PDGA though and plan to keep traveling to play in their events as well as the local SN events.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 22.1
Courses Played: 110
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeman View Post
With that, I'd say at least half of the SN events I've played have had lunch catered to us.
This has nothing to do with the PDGA - this is simply the decision of the tournament director.

I could do that at every event I ran within the PDGA.

These are things I don't get about SN. People bring up stuff like this that can be done within a PDGA event as reasons why it is better.

I have yet to hear one realistic point that a PDGA event doesn't or can't do to make me think that SN is a superior org.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodysseus View Post
Good for you man, play in the events you want to!

I wish there was an unsanctioned tournament scene here in Illinois. I find good events here and there, but nothing spectacular.
Interesting. What do you think unsanctioned tournaments offer that PDGA sanctioned events don't? Northern Illinois has sanctioned tournaments every weekend. One of the reasons there aren't many unsanctioned tournaments is most tournament players prefer playing sanctioned events. Unsanctioned events generally don't stand a chance
(or are relegated to local park district type events).

btw Peoria runs a number of unsanctioned events not too far from you.