Old 06-13-2013, 01:11 PM

question about doubles rules

in BEST SHOT doubles, where you and your partner are allowed to choose the lie, are you allowed to each choose seprate lies???

example... my partner is a lefty and has a great lefty line on a lie. the other lie is a easy right handed hyzer....

are we allowed to each shoot from different lies?

i was always under the impression that in BEST SHOT it is your teams descretion on choosing lies
Old 06-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Traditionally, no. But, there are no formal 'best shot' rules.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've always played that if it's a serious round, then play from the "best" disc only. If it's my friends and we are just playing a quick doubles round, I don't care which disc they play form.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 228
Check this link for the "rules" for doubles from PDGA:

http://www.pdga.com/rules/doubles

These rules for doubles play have been approved by the PDGA Rules Committee.

Doubles play comes in a variety of formats. Best Shot, Best Disc (aka Best Score), Alternate Shot, Worst Shot, and Tough Shot are described below. Except where noted, PDGA rules apply.

One oddity about doubles formats with regard to the rules is that a team may often disregard a player's shot (or score, in Best Disc), giving that player a good deal of theoretical leeway as far as rules are concerned. As always, any attempt to circumvent the rules in order to gain competitive advantage is subject to action up to and including disqualification. In most cases, a warning or penalty throw incurred by a player shall apply to that player only; for example, if player A throws a drive out-of-bounds in Best Shot and the team elects to play player A's drive, the team is then lying two at player A's lie. Warnings and penalty throws for the following violations shall apply to the team as a whole: courtesy, practice throw, interference, late scorecard, and incorrect scorecard. All other warnings and penalty throws shall apply to the offending player only. Any call that requires confirmation must be confirmed by players on other teams.

In the Best Shot, Tough Shot, and Best Disc formats, you do not throw if it is mathematically impossible for you to improve your team's score on a hole. In the Best Shot and Tough Shot formats, the second player does not throw if the first player has holed out. If you are playing Best Disc format and your partner has holed out, you do not throw unless you can improve on your partner's score. Any throw made which cannot possibly improve a team's score on a hole is a practice throw.

The formats described below may be extended beyond doubles (to triples,etc) if desired.

Best Shot
Best Shot is by far the most popular doubles format. Both players throw from each lie (starting with the tee shot), then the team chooses which of the resulting lies to continue play from, until the hole is completed.

A team may take a reasonable amount of time to pick which lie they want before the 30-second play clock starts.
A lie that is picked up without being marked is gone forever; the team must throw from the other lie. If the second lie is picked up, it must be replaced in accordance with PDGA rules. All lies must be marked according to PDGA rules.
If the first player throws from the wrong lie, the second player may still throw from the correct lie.
In case of injury or disqualification, one partner may play alone, throwing one shot at each lie (essentially playing singles).

Worst Shot
Worst Shot is the most brutal of the doubles formats, and can test the patience of even the best teams. In Worst Shot, both players throw from each lie (starting with the tee shot), then the competing teams in the group choose which of the subsequent lies will be used, with the aim of making the hole as difficult as possible. The hole is completed once both team members have holed out from the same lie.

The 30-second play clock begins once the opposing teams have selected the lie.
A lie that is picked up without being marked must be replaced in accordance with PDGA rules. All lies must be marked according to PDGA rules.
Any warning or penalty incurred by a player may be chosen to apply to the team, at the opposing teams' discretion.
A team found to be giving an opposing team a better lie will be disqualified for unsportsmanlike behavior.

Tough Shot
Tough Shot is the same as Worst Shot, with the following variation: once a player on the team has holed out, the team has completed the hole.
Alternate Shot
In Alternate Shot, only one sequence of throws is made on each hole. The team selects a player to throw the tee shot at the beginning of the round. The other player then throws from the subsequent lie, and play alternates in that fashion until the round is completed. Alternate Shot is closer to a singles format, where one partner can't bail the other out. If you miss a short putt, chances are good that you'll be driving the next hole.

If the wrong player on a team throws, another team must call it immediately, like a foot fault. The team receives a warning, and the correct player throws. Subsequent violations incur a one-throw penalty.
For any violation that requires a rethrow (stance violation, provisional thr ow), the same player throws.

Best Disc (Best Score)
In Best Disc (also known as Best Score), each player plays the hole as they would while playing singles; there are no shared lies. The team score is the best score on the hole by one of its players.

The player who is away will always throw first, with this exception: If both players are lying the same number of throws, the team may choose which player throws first.
A player must pick up once it is impossible for him to better the team's score. The team incurs a warning for the first violation, and a penalty throw for subsequent violations.
In case of injury or disqualification, one partner may play alone.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:16 PM

i have read the PDGA rules for best shot and it doesnt not exactly cover the ruling
Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM

thank you snappyfingers. i have seen these but i do not find clarification
Old 06-13-2013, 01:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 116
I think the spirit of best shot doubles is that the team is choosing one lie (the "best") to play from for each shot. There are other types of formats that allow for partners to play from different lies on the fairway.

Key line from the rules that Snappyfingers quoted is this one...
Quote:
If the first player throws from the wrong lie, the second player may still throw from the correct lie.
Seems to me that if two partners are throwing from different lies, then only one can be the "correct" one. I'd argue that the correct one is the second one based on the way that rule reads, and thus the throw from that lie is the one the team would have to continue subsequent play from unless they wished to incur a misplay penalty for playing the wrong lie.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:53 PM

who dertermines if its the correct lie?

i think that rule is applied to when you throw from another teams disc not your own..

because if that is the case then i could let my lefty partner throw his shot from lieA, if it is bad i could then determine it to be the "wrong" or "incorrect" lie; and shoot from lieB
Old 06-13-2013, 02:09 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
The second player may throw from a different lie than their partner. However, it is then presumed that the first lie was the "incorrect lie" and only the second player's throw may be used.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall_K View Post
who dertermines if its the correct lie?
You are, by choosing to not play the lie your partner has already thrown from.

Quote:
i think that rule is applied to when you throw from another teams disc not your own..
There is no longer a distinction between another player/team's disc and your own when it comes to playing from an incorrect lie. An incorrect lie is an incorrect lie, punished by a one-throw penalty as a misplay (803.03G).

Quote:
because if that is the case then i could let my lefty partner throw his shot from lieA, if it is bad i could then determine it to be the "wrong" or "incorrect" lie; and shoot from lieB
And the problem with that would be what, exactly? The only catch to you choosing to play a different lie than your partner is that you are throwing away your partner's shot before you throw. So if you shank it or throw OB or whatever, you're stuck with that instead of having the option of taking your partner's throw (at least, of taking your partner's throw without penalty).

I think you're trying to find a loophole where there isn't one. Best shot is intended to have one lie per throw. The whole purpose is to choose one lie from two potential positions on each throw. When you choose to play one lie then change your mind after one partner throws, that's not really in the spirit of the format and there should be consequences.