Disc Golf Store

Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Disc Dyeing

Old 06-14-2013, 05:43 PM

Can you mix Jacquard iDye Poly colors before dyeing?

Ok so this will be my first attempt at dyeing any discs. Went to buy my dye and my local store only had a few colors of the iDye Poly in stock, and they only offer the 8 original colors anyway.

So, I was wondering, is it possible to mix colors?
If so, does anyone have suggested ratios?
Do I dissolve the packet in water and then mix that liquid, or do I cut open the packet and mix the dye directly, then mix that into water? Is this even necessary if I plan to use the shaving cream method?

I want to create a teal color, a light purple, and a very bright golden orange. I have red, blue, and yellow. Figures they would be out of stock of the standard green, orange, purple. Is this because you can't mix them?
Old 06-15-2013, 12:24 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've successfully mixed up batches of orange, green & purple... it's just trial & error - no exact method.. I basically mixed a small batch of yellow & blue in separate containers & added blue to the yellow in small increments until I got to the desired shade of green. Same with orange - add red to the yellow until the shade is desired.

I would not add a lighter color to the darker color, as it seems it would be harder to achieve the results your looking for.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
For dip dying its a matter of length of time in the dye, and I hear its quick with idye.
For the SC I would try mixing your dissolved dye into the SC and laying that out on the bed.

Like John says, it's T&E, but if you try mixing the dyes together post some results because I think a few people here would be interested.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
I just made up an sc bed. I wanted a darker red so I mixed a little black in with the regular red. I'm not sure how it'll turn out since my blacks have been coming out kinda light but we'll see. Ill get back to you in 8 or 9 hours when I pull the disc out of the dye bed.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the replies. My gf and I ended up finding iDye poly at another store but they didnt have any of the new colors. We tried our first SC dyes last night and for practice we used a bright yellow pro valk and a light blue star teebird just to see how the dye would mix with the color of the disc. We left the discs in for 9 hours. Red completely took in both discs and looked bright red even on the blue star plastic which I thought was odd. I used lines of green, orange, and red, and moved them with a toothpick but I didn't get the subtle gradients/color fades I was hoping for. It looks like the dyes didnt even mix. The color on the disc is bold and even where I had colors touching it dyed completely separate without bleeding into each other at all. Anyone know what I could do better? Will post pics shortly. Also going to try mixing some colors today and will share what I find
Old 06-15-2013, 02:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 16
You can mix the colors separately or on the disc. i had a post in the dye-a-day thread doing just that. i like to mix on the disc because i think it gives me a better idea of how it will look. never had a problem mixing idye poly, but i don't use SC dyes so the application might be different.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Ok so my results mixing colors in shaving cream worked pretty well. Pics are stock red and red/black mix. Then the disc is the end result. I'm happy. Might ease up on the black next time since the "dark red" came out slightly purple-ish

Old 06-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor professor View Post
The red one is grotesquely wonderful!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Eagle Member

Oops sorry OP, yes mixing colors is a great way to get that exact shade you want. Darkening the red with black(a tiny bit!) is an excellent example, also make your red more fire like by adding about 1/3 as much yellow. Use Rits color guide to get an idea of the ratios and then experiment to your hearts delight!

Old 06-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Eagle Member

I thought that was a disc not a bucket of shaving cream. Guess I was a little loopier last night than I thought... long weekend!