Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHFH
Backhand "Snap" Question

I would like to know from someone who throws BH with a lot of snap, what is the feeling relative to?

What I mean is, physically can you describe the feeling that takes place in your hand/wrist/forearm. When the disc leaves your hand is there anything you can compare it to? For example, I get a ton of snap when throwing forehands, and for me the grip and "flick" part come natural. If I had to compare it to another motion it would be skipping a rock. My grip (I use one finger) is a strong grip, almost exactly the same as I would hold a pencil (I used to complete homework 5 minutes before class started -- writing fast and furiously helped build some weird muscle in my index finger I believe)

A successful flick for me feels effortless and hard to describe, hence I understand the constant inability to relay, teach, and demonstrate "snap." I have thrown a few drives BH where I was able to get a generous increase of snap when compared to my average BH drives. I can't seem to replicate that form and snap often, and on the few times I have executed it, I find that it went by so fast and was so effortless I don't know what I did different.

I'm 6'4" and have a long wingspan, but god awful form. 24 of 25 of my drives will go 300 feet, but I'm chasing the elusive 1/25 that goes 400 feet and comes out with much more speed and snap. I've done it before but the frustration of not being able to replicate it leads me strong-arming and reverting to horrible technique.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by ALPO; 06-03-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Par Member

Smooth, and accelerate late, is what I've been working on. It's controlled power that brings out the snap I think. Being relaxed, and then BOOM, hit point and the disc is flying. If you watch any pro they begin the "pull" slower than they finish. If you hit too early, you lose out on that sweet spot, and lose power and accuracy.

Then again, I could be leading you down a horrible rabbit hole of bad tendencies and tranny hookers. So... Grain of salt and such.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:53 PM

Courses Played: 106
It is almost unexplainable. It happens in a small fraction of a second. It happens faster than our brains can comprehend.

It feels effortless. The energy has already been spent by the time the snap occurs. Also, it is an overrated search. Don't seek snap, seek good footwork, good reach-back, good hip turn, good arm angle, and most of all good cadence and timing. The snap will happen. It is an unavoidable consequence of doing everything else good. It isn't an action, its a result. It isn't a movement, its an experience.

Work on the fundamentals. figure out how to balance your weight. Go slower, easier, smoother. The snap will happen.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Effortlessly slinging a hammer. There's nothing in the realm of sports I can really compare it to, because a backhand throw is the most awkward sports endeavor I have been a part of. Closest things in sports I can think of would be a one handed golf swing.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:16 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
What does it feel like? Like the disc hates me and wants to get as far away from me as possible.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Effortlessly slinging a hammer.
That's how it feels to me, too.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 21
@Sidewinder/garublador - I comprehend the hammer reference/feel/whatever, but I assume the (usual) overhand motion of a hammer and a backhand "pimp slap" like throw confuses some people. They hear an open palmed vertical analogy and aren't sure how to transition it to a closed horizontal. I can't think of a way to word said translation, but if either of you (or anyone else) understands what I'm trying to say and could explain it better than myself I think it would be beneficial to others.

Also, this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by morefadeplz View Post
It is an unavoidable consequence of doing everything else good. It isn't an action, its a result. It isn't a movement, its an experience.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 21
Try this: from a standstill, and using a loose grip (hand At 12:00), try to use your weight shift to get disc to slam into the palm of your hand and into the right pec position. As soon as you feel the disc hit your palm, grip down, rotate your shoulders and actively snap your wrist. You should get a hoolahoop type feeling as a result of the sudden change of direction. If your timing and body positions are right, the disc should eject from your hand rather than rip out.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: LHBH
"horrible rabbit hole of bad tendencies and tranny hookers"? So.... in other words- the Castro?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 53
When it's not happening for me, it's because I'm TRYING too hard to MAKE it happen, rather than let it happen. I'm too tight. (Or I'm not following through completely.)

Mentally, I try to basically feel like my arm is dead from the elbow to hand, meaning to stay loose. It's the only way I get that "cracking the whip" feel.

The cleanest throws for me feel sort of like I'm trying to fling my hand off, if that makes any sense...?