Old 06-16-2013, 11:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
The chains lay silent, under shadowed moon.
A young man fell, gone too soon.

Let us not mock, or joke, in foolish jest.
Instead we'll pray, that in peace, he'll rest.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:57 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
The chains lay silent, under shadowed moon.
A young man fell, gone too soon.

Let us not mock, or joke, in foolish jest.
Instead we'll pray, that in peace, he'll rest.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:47 AM

Rip

The man died on hole 1 of rosedale at 3am. the park is closed at this time but people still go play there because of lights. the man did not have glow discs such a shame...
Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 AM
* Ace Member *

May he rest in peace. Man what a way to go, i bet his friend is scarred for life as well. I hope he is okay.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:46 AM

Courses Played: 7
i saw this video that was posted saturday afternoon/evening - hours before the accident.

how come KCPL didn't kill the lines? were the down lines not reported?

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttdart View Post
how come KCPL didn't kill the lines? were the down lines not reported?

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Pete Johnson was posting on FB that the city / police were aware of the issue but didn't take care of it.

Not sure where he got that info from, just thought it was an interesting side note.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 50
WOW!! Some of you people should realize that when a big storm rolls through the area and power lines are down, fixing the power lights at a park are the least of their concerns(even if they are on the ground). They have 1000s of paying customers out there without power for the same reason. They will always go fix them first. If parks and rec were aware of this, they would have had it closed and possibly had a cop in the area to monitor it. Some of you people need a little common sence.

RIP to the deceased!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 AM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 192
I'm sorry to hear this. I'm sure the guy just wanted to disc (something we should all know about).

Unfortunately for him, he picked the wrong place and time.

My condolences to his family, friends, and acquaintances.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdg jake View Post
WOW!! Some of you people should realize that when a big storm rolls through the area and power lines are down, fixing the power lights at a park are the least of their concerns(even if they are on the ground). They have 1000s of paying customers out there without power for the same reason. They will always go fix them first. If parks and rec were aware of this, they would have had it closed and possibly had a cop in the area to monitor it. Some of you people need a little common sence.

RIP to the deceased!
Pretty sure they did have the park closed. I read somewhere that the guys parked on a side street near the park and walked in rather than driving and parking in a lot within the park.

Perhaps posting someone there to monitor would have been a good idea, but I think just like you point out with the power company, in a situation like that, police personnel are being deployed in other areas that have a greater need. I think it's possible they assessed the situation, locked down the park (which I presume is normal for overnight hours anyway), and didn't expect anyone was going to be in there at that time of night.

What gets me is that if these guys didn't have glow discs, as jaderavenn suggests, and went to this particular park to play because it's usually lit, why didn't the fact that the lights were out give them any pause? I'd think just the fear of losing a disc on the first throw would stop me from bothering to play.

It was a tragic accident and it's a shame that someone lost their life as a result, but I don't think it should be overlooked that the deceased and his friend were doing a pretty stupid thing to begin with. So if we're going to start parsing out who's to blame or who was negligent in this case, the victim deserves a good portion of it himself.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 63
I would think live downed power lines in a public area would have a higher priority than homes without power. Guess not. That has litigation written all over it. But they did close the park so who knows.
Closed Thread