#31  
Old 06-17-2013, 11:58 AM
turbosteve's Avatar
turbosteve turbosteve is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Rock Hill/Columbia SC
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdabbs View Post
I would think live downed power lines in a public area would have a higher priority than homes without power. Guess not. That has litigation written all over it. But they did close the park so who knows.
Do you think the victim's family will try to sue the PDGA?
  #32  
Old 06-17-2013, 12:00 PM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is offline
Salient Disc Test Team
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 10,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosteve View Post
Do you think the victim's family will try to sue the PDGA?
It didn't happen during a sanctioned event. What liability would they have?

And I agree that a downed power line is more of a priority than an area without power. Darkness is inherently less lethal than exposed power lines.
  #33  
Old 06-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Osmo's Avatar
Osmo Osmo is offline
*I whine a lot*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grape Country
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 1,328
Even if the park was closed, they should have prioritized live down wires over homes without power esp when it is the summer. I mean its not out of the norm for teenagers to go to parks after hours ignoring the rules. Down lines = death. Homes without power while people are asleep = slight inconvenience.

A few questions,

Is this park sometimes open at 3am? Or is it ALWAYS closed at that time?

Is it is sometimes open at those hours for golfers who play at night these people could claim they did not know it was closed having parked on a side street.

Sounds like liability may still fall on the town/power company if it isnt closed 100% of the time at those hours.
  #34  
Old 06-17-2013, 12:26 PM
gvdg jake gvdg jake is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: down yander
Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
And I agree that a downed power line is more of a priority than an area without power. Darkness is inherently less lethal than exposed power lines.
Why would a power company be concerned about a park not having power? Really? OMG the bathroom lights dont work and the street lights dont work so now people could get mugged...

Like I said, the power company is more worried about homes/buisnesses having power. Think about if they went and fixed a down power line at a park first and someone broke into a buisness or home and stole a lot of stuff. That wouldnt look good on the power company would it? Alarms wont work without power. Yes the power company is concerned about that line he stepped on. But if he broke the city laws of that park, he was responsible for whatever happened (death)

I can tell just by the way some of you respond to this that you dont work hands on at all. I have worked with power for 3 years and work near them now instead of on them. If you have ever noticed driving down the interstate the 100s of power trucks you pass, its because of storms like this. They call for backup (sometimes 6-7 states away) so they can get it all restored in a timely fashion. Its just common sence people.
  #35  
Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 PM
mattdabbs's Avatar
mattdabbs mattdabbs is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 65
Posts: 1,057
I doubt they would sue the PDGA. If the city new (which is in question) the lines were down and didn't do anything about it for 12 hours that is problematic

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
  #36  
Old 06-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Osmo's Avatar
Osmo Osmo is offline
*I whine a lot*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Grape Country
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdg jake View Post
Why would a power company be concerned about a park not having power? Really? OMG the bathroom lights dont work and the street lights dont work so now people could get mugged...

Like I said, the power company is more worried about homes/buisnesses having power. Think about if they went and fixed a down power line at a park first and someone broke into a buisness or home and stole a lot of stuff. That wouldnt look good on the power company would it? Alarms wont work without power. Yes the power company is concerned about that line he stepped on. But if he broke the city laws of that park, he was responsible for whatever happened (death)

I can tell just by the way some of you respond to this that you dont work hands on at all. I have worked with power for 3 years and work near them now instead of on them. If you have ever noticed driving down the interstate the 100s of power trucks you pass, its because of storms like this. They call for backup (sometimes 6-7 states away) so they can get it all restored in a timely fashion. Its just common sence people.
Its not about "the park not having lights".

Its about a power line being on the ground with electricity surging through it.

Animals and/or people will die if they touch or even get to close to it.

Again, if you think its only about "the park not having lights" that they should be worried about then you are being abit naive.

And dont even try to tell me that turning off the grid temporarily where the live wire is down takes to much time.
  #37  
Old 06-17-2013, 01:20 PM
justactnormal's Avatar
justactnormal justactnormal is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: KC, MO
Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 295
I didn't read the whole thread b/c of there's a lot of dribble that I'd rather just not read so I don't know if this has been mentioned or not.

B-tier played Rosedale (the park in question) on Sunday morning. I wasn't there, but the website lists the tee time as 8:00am. I think that they try to get all the other rounds done early so people can go to Swope and watch the final 9. Anyways, the storms rolled through hard and heavy late Saturday afternoon which must have knocked the line down.

Surely others that were there can comment more directly about the situation on the ground but I'm wondering if the morning round went off? If this hadn't happened would someone in that round have encountered the downed wire? I imagining that the PDGA would be liable if that were to happen for not ensuring safe playing conditions.

I'm assuming that the friend of the guy who was killed called the police and that's when the power company and city became aware of the situation. But that's an assumption. If they knew that a line was down in the park earlier and did nothing to remedy the situation or at least prevent access to it, then that seems like a major liability problem for the power company. It's a shame all around, though.

FWIW, I do believe that all entrances to the park are closed at a certain time at night so technically if anyone were to park down the street and walk in they likely would be trespassing, so that may affect the power company's liability on the issue.
  #38  
Old 06-17-2013, 01:34 PM
tbird888's Avatar
tbird888 tbird888 is offline
Salient Disc Test Team
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHFH
Posts: 10,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvdg jake View Post
Why would a power company be concerned about a park not having power? Really? OMG the bathroom lights dont work and the street lights dont work so now people could get mugged...

Like I said, the power company is more worried about homes/buisnesses having power. Think about if they went and fixed a down power line at a park first and someone broke into a buisness or home and stole a lot of stuff. That wouldnt look good on the power company would it? Alarms wont work without power. Yes the power company is concerned about that line he stepped on. But if he broke the city laws of that park, he was responsible for whatever happened (death)

I can tell just by the way some of you respond to this that you dont work hands on at all. I have worked with power for 3 years and work near them now instead of on them. If you have ever noticed driving down the interstate the 100s of power trucks you pass, its because of storms like this. They call for backup (sometimes 6-7 states away) so they can get it all restored in a timely fashion. Its just common sence people.
Its not about "the park not having lights".

Its about a power line being on the ground with electricity surging through it.

Animals and/or people will die if they touch or even get to close to it.

Again, if you think its only about "the park not having lights" that they should be worried about then you are being abit naive.

And dont even try to tell me that turning off the grid temporarily where the live wire is down takes to much time.
Osmo summed up my point very well, secure the line so there's no immediate threat. No one said make restoring power to the park priority except you. Instead of talking down to people, perhaps you should comprehend the posts you think are so wrong.

I'm interested to see the protocol for your area. I want to see where insured "stuff" is more important than a live (and lethal) power wire laying exposed on the ground.
  #39  
Old 06-17-2013, 01:40 PM
mattdabbs's Avatar
mattdabbs mattdabbs is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 65
Posts: 1,057
If you knew a live powerline was down in the park, wouldn't it just about keep you up at night worried someone might stumble over it?
 

  #40  
Old 06-17-2013, 01:43 PM
rd.bittle's Avatar
rd.bittle rd.bittle is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Central OK
Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Osmo summed up my point very well, secure the line so there's no immediate threat. No one said make restoring power to the park priority except you. Instead of talking down to people, perhaps you should comprehend the posts you think are so wrong.

I'm interested to see the protocol for your area. I want to see where insured "stuff" is more important than a live (and lethal) power wire laying exposed on the ground.
This.

And condolences to the family and friends.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.