Old 06-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
59 and new to disk golf!! Any other older golfers out there?

Who knew I would take up a new sport at 59.

A few questions after TWO rounds.

Warming up! How do people warm up?? I know I'm older then 95% of you guys and need to do a little warming up, or at least my shoulder is now telling me. Any tips?

Disks are NOT like Frisbee's are they - lesson learned.

I'm still struggling with a Driver (Tern) and my Shark and Buzzz are interchangeable at the moment. I feel I need a fairway driver??

It seems most disks are made to fade - why is that?? why not just straight. Is there a theory behind this?

This sport is fascinating me! (where is that ice pack for my shoulder anyway).
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
Who knew I would take up a new sport at 59.
Welcome!

Quote:
A few questions after TWO rounds.

Warming up! How do people warm up?? I know I'm older then 95% of you guys and need to do a little warming up, or at least my shoulder is now telling me. Any tips?
You don't want to step up and throw max power drives right away. I like to warm up with mids, not trying to throw for distance, just trying to get some nice, clean throws to get the muscles moving.

It's also good to warm up putts to get your muscle memory set.

And definitely stretch!

Quote:
Disks are NOT like Frisbee's are they - lesson learned.
There are some out there that fly more like a traditional frisbee. But most are very different. Also, "Disc" is spelled with a c rather than a k.

Quote:
I'm still struggling with a Driver (Tern) and my Shark and Buzzz are interchangeable at the moment. I feel I need a fairway driver??
The Buzzz and Shark have very similar flight with a slightly different feel in the hand. Pick the one that feels best for you and that should be all you need. Just starting out, the Tern is probably too much for you. Work with just the Buzzz and a putter for a little while to help develop the skills you need to improve.

Quote:
It seems most disks are made to fade - why is that?? why not just straight. Is there a theory behind this?
They're not necessarily designed that way, it's just basic physics of spinning objects that causes fade. The varying degrees of this are described by stabilities. Overstable discs are designed to fade hard and really crash to the ground as the slow. Stable discs are fairly neutral, designed to resist fade longer for a straighter flight. Understable discs are designed to really resist that fade and will often turn in the opposite direction at higher speeds.

As a beginner, discs on the understable side of the spectrum are better for you.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
Welcome to the addiction. He said it well above. I'd just add resist the initial temptation to buy up a bunch of discs. Try a few putters that feel good to you and decide on one after that. Slower and more understable fairway drivers and mids should keep you gaining distance the right way for the first year at least. The guy who has the most fun, wins.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Awesome - yea - I knew it was "disc" - habit I guess. I had to buy a Buzzz when I left my other 3 discs at home and on a business trip I was right NEXT to a course in Springfield ILL so I purchased a Shark.

getting better with the Tern - it does go farther but I end up way left (unlike my ball golf which is way right). . . . . Maybe I'll look into a TL for a little more distance. (and so it begins). HEY - if anyone wants to play I'll have extra discs.

I played a freakish amount of trick freebees back "in da day" but that is kids play compared to disc golf.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
Welcome to the game. BH's advice is solid and I would agree that the Tern is too fast for you right now. Work with your choice of the Buzzz or the Shark and a putter for now. Don't worry about distance now. Strive for throwing straight shots and keeping it in the fairway.

I am 59 as well and it is always good to see more older players playing.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 39
Look into MVP Volt and Amp. Great discs in the fairway driver range. Drop the tern for now I would think. Sounds like you do not have the arm speed for it since it is meat hooking on you.

Go to youtube and watch videos on grip, putting and then driving.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Bogey Member

For warming up you might check out an "Equalizer" from the Nati DG shop. Developed by a disc golf Hall of Famer and all around nice guy. Support those who support us. I'll vote medium wt. Stingray for your next purchase. Welcome to the family! Never too late.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHFH
Hey now! I'm turning 60 in a few months and took up the sport only a few years ago.

I highly recommend an Innova 150g Leopard. You can get it in DX, but hey, at our age live a little and get it in Champion or Star plastic. Or you might want to try a Latitude 64 Diamond. Or if you are into Discraft you might want to give the Zombee a throw, it comes in lighter weights as well.

I'll let someone else explain the science but pretty much every disc will want to fade at least a little bit at the end.

Warm up by stretching, stretching and then more stretching. Then do some practice putting start at a comfortable close distance and then work your way out. Finally if the course has the space throw some mids or even your new fairway drivers to a comfortable distance. If the course has a practice basket that's great, if not then pick some objects or a buddy to throw to.

Good luck and welcome to the site.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
The amount stretching/warm-up you need will be based on your condition. I'm 53 and tend to just warm up much like Brad suggested. Throw some mids then work up to the drivers. But honestly my "warm-up" is focused more on consistency not actually stretching. However, I've never had any shoulder / back pain from DG.

Quote:
I'm still struggling with a Driver (Tern)
Tern is probably too "fast" for now.

Quote:
. . and my Shark and Buzzz are interchangeable at the moment.
These discs are pretty similar. I find the Shark a little less stable than the Buzzz but it also is dependent on the plastic.

Quote:
I feel I need a fairway driver??
Look at the "how to build a bag" threads and don't go faster than a fairway driver for a while. You'll get a ton of suggestions but I'll put in a plug for the Vibram Track and Ascent pair. Great FW drivers with super feel and durability.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:43 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 90
If you're looking for something a bit slower than a Tern, I always seem to grab my Champion Eagle, and my current "new fav" disc in the bag is a Dynamic Disk Escape.

I've just recently taken anything over 10 speed out of the bag (except for a Destroyer for long forehands, and a DD Renegade, because it's new). I'm one of those guys that got all the high speed stuff, and is finding out I don't need it.