Old 06-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
I can throw the Shark/Buzzz about 160 feet so I now have a base on which to improve.
Hello I am a newb and I am not as experienced as nearly everyone here. That being said I have a few honest advices for you.

#1: No drivers for now; they won't help you even a little bit. Work on throwing putters until you can throw farther than that. The important things to focus on are throwing level and making the disc spin. If it ain't spinning it ain't flying. You won't be able to blast nukes out there at 60mph so you have to stay relaxed and cool and let the disc do the work.

#2: Warming up by slowing swinging a small towel is a good way to avoid hurting yourself. This is an old favorite of players who like to throw overhead shots (a high-risk activity).

#3: Rely on big muscle groups as much as you possibly can. "Strong-Arming" drives is a real easy way to wreck yourself.

Good luck
Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Thanks for the advice. Yea - I know about spin and so forth and also know 160 ain't crap for distance but those muscles have not been used for 30 years. They are all "what the f*ck?".

160 is just an estimate from one hole that was 200. I was 10 yards away so . . . . .
Old 06-17-2013, 07:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to tarel
ditch all discs get a leo in pro and champ.

throw 70% power
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.4
Courses Played: 85
Get a couple different Buzzz's and get a feel for them. I also would consider a Meteor (another awesome Discraft mid) and if you want to start moving into drivers, a Zombee and a Stalker could be good choices for you. Putters are a very personal matter, try a bunch, and see what works for you. Aviars are a good place to start.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 22
First and foremost, welcome to this great addiction. Secondly, stretch out, stay hydrated, and have fun. Lastly, I watched a dude in his 60's crush a drive in a doubles tourney that came to rest over 350'.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Day View Post
First and foremost, welcome to this great addiction. Secondly, stretch out, stay hydrated, and have fun. Lastly, I watched a dude in his 60's crush a drive in a doubles tourney that came to rest over 350'.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 92
I'm just a youngster at 52. There are a lot of "grandmasters" out there. Find a group of them in your area and play every week with them. That's what I did.

When first starting, you can usually get the best "golf" throws from your midrange discs and putters. If you get a driver, get a lightweight Leopard or a Diamond (as mentioned earlier). As drivers, they are easier to throw than the rest of them. I keep a Diamond in my bag all the time.

A really good "driver" to start out with is a DX Cobra. With your Frisbee background, you'll be able to get some really good distance with it... as well as accuracy.

Warmup: I start out at 60 feet from the basket practicing approaches to the basket as soon as I get to the course (with putters). Then, I'll putt them in for putting practice. I'll then move back 15 or 20 feet each time until I'm approaching from about 75% of max distance (working on being accurate). If I have time, I'll do the same with midrange discs too. This gets the muscles warmed up without straining them. Stretch as you walk.

Most importantly... Have Fun!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 322
Talking

We do not stop playing because we are old;
We grow old because we stop playing.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Underdog, that is how I live my life.

Wish I didn't have to drive 13 miles to a course. Ill,have to devise my own course

Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 7
Welcome to the DG world. Good back, shoulder and arm stretches before a round. Icy Hot before you head to the course and after the round until your disc muscles start building up and I usually start a round with 800mg of ibuprofen.

The Shark and Buzz are great discs to build from, find yourself a putter you like and buy 2 so you can practice. Dont worry about distance drivers