Old 06-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
EMAC and Avery

I hate to say this but what is happening to Avery and Emac as of the last 2 seasons? Clearly we all know their ages are mid 30's, it is kind of amazing the level of play Feldberg has been able to sustain this long! I know the level of the game to win majors, NT, A tier is getting to the point of shooting 1060+ golf all weekend but surprising to consistantly see these 2 finishing 15-20 at virtually every A tier and NT they are in. Is it the change in bag for EMAC not having a buzzz and its costing him a couple per rd? Is age catching up and they are washed up in comparison to themselves in 2008? Is Feldy next?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 2
well its complicated

I believe that Emac is just in that new stage of trying out plastic that suits him and avery has just been a straight distance player basically. The game now calls for above and beyond being technically sound and smart. You have to be on your game ALL THE TIME. Being great at one skill doesn't put you in the hunt anymore. Emac is a great woods player and a great putter. I dont see him with the distance sidearm or the 500 plus backhand anymore though. Avery has no woods game and doesn't putt that well. If you look at what wysocki, mcbeth, shusterick, and hell I will even throw nikko in there as well. They do everything great and in the case of wysocki right now everything exceptional. I mean look at what ricky has in his arsenal, accurate distance on his sidearm and backhand. He can scramble from anywhere, he putts the lights out, and he has a great mental game. You cannot succeed being exceptional at just one thing anymore. I honestly think Feldy impresses me more than anyone because he doesnt have a few of those skills and can still contend because he is just that good.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
I know as far as Avery is concerned he's been spreading his influence to other areas as well. Between being on the PDGA BOD (I know feldberg was too for a time), doing more video production, traveling to promote, doing clinics, etc. Competing isn't his one and only job in the disc golf realm anymore is what I'm meaning to say.

It's also just more crowded at the top than 4 years ago. We're hitting the time where a generation raised on disc golf is going pro.

EDIT: Basically what J-rod is saying...but the only thing I'll bust him on is he's heaping tons of praise on Wysocki alone, whereas McBeth does all of that as well and has more wins this season
Old 06-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 2
[QUOTE=JTacoma03;2019560] EDIT: Basically what J-rod is saying...but the only thing I'll bust him on is he's heaping tons of praise on Wysocki alone, whereas McBeth does all of that as well and has more wins this season [/QUOTE

For sure I will give you that but I just said for example . Mcbeth is the man for sure. I honestly think he has got the better mental game than ricky just from watching them both play. But ricky is just out of this world right now averaging something like 1070 golf is just absurd.

side note: if MJ (Micheal Johansen) ever toured I think alot of people would be surprised just how good this guy really is. If he actually liked alot of the other pros I bet he would but he is turned off by their attitudes and such.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:50 PM
Par Member

When has Avery ever been consistent. He can throw really far but is even close to being a top notch woods player and his putting is spotty. And who is Eric MCCabe? Hes hasn't done much since 2010. His glory years are over. Feldberg will have a hard time knocking of the 20 somethings for sure. Hes only ever going to be 5th best from now on.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
AJ was one of the first pros I actually paid attention to. When I got serious about playing, the Deep in the Game series dropped around the same time and really pointed me in the right direction. Kinda sucks about him not really being in contention a lot, but he's definitely a great ambassador and advocate for the sport.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
Is EMac a traveling pro anymore? I thought I heard somewhere that he got a "real job".
Old 06-02-2013, 06:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Down View Post
When has Avery ever been consistent.
He won a world title, so IMO he has been consistent enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
AJ was one of the first pros I actually paid attention to. When I got serious about playing, the Deep in the Game series dropped around the same time and really pointed me in the right direction. Kinda sucks about him not really being in contention a lot, but he's definitely a great ambassador and advocate for the sport.
We were practicing this spring (it's summer now right?) and both lamenting that (respective to our vastly different levels) neither of us had been playing up to our potential lately. It has made me respect the top-tier pros moreso than I already did, just knowing that as much as my game falls off when I'm spending time doing other things, theirs has to be that much more pinpoint and precise. Their margin for error is so small, especially now with the crazy amount of college-aged talent.

All that said, I wouldn't say that it's necessarily physically aging that is a roadblock at this stage for either AJ or EMac, I would say it's age in the sense that they don't have the luxury of competitive "tunnel vision" with regards to life like the younger/newer guys do.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Birdie Member

Old 06-02-2013, 06:14 PM
*I whine a lot*

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dx_roc View Post
"Look no trees!"