Old 06-25-2013, 04:21 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 239
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thumbs up Round Ratings

Some amazing DGCR members helped to come up with the Scratch Scoring Estimate (SSE) a while back so you could get an idea of what a 1000 rated player *might* get on your local course. Thanks to that, it has enabled us to now rate your rounds similar to the PDGA round ratings you get for tournaments.

The process is simple, just enter your score as you have always done and if you played all the holes at a course and have chosen a tee the rating will be immediately calculated as soon as you submit your card. Of course, if the course in question doesn't have an SSE, you skipped some holes, played a doubles/custom round, etc. then a rating can't be calculated for that particular round.

I'm hoping to expand on this in the future to give you a DGCR Player Rating and I plan on adding the rating to the sort feature in the various areas where you can view people's scores.

Special thanks to jeverett for the round rating formula!
Old 06-25-2013, 04:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
I'm hoping to expand on this in the future to give you a DGCR Player Rating and I plan on adding the rating to the sort feature in the various areas where you can view people's scores.
^This would be awesome! Thanks for the new feature Tim, I think I am going to finally start recording my rounds on here.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 188
I just added the 1024 rated round I shot Sunday morning at the LoCo and it was rated 1024. Sooo, what's different?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 70
Out of curiosity, has anyone compared the course SSEs to actual results from PDGA play to see how closely they match?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:40 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishysell View Post
I just added the 1024 rated round I shot Sunday morning at the LoCo and it was rated 1024. Sooo, what's different?
It's a system based solely on the lengths, terrain and foliage info here on this site, but it's designed to approximate SSA and the ratings you would get from the PDGA system. Looks like your example is one where the two systems are in agreement.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
It's a system based solely on the lengths, terrain and foliage info here on this site, but it's designed to approximate SSA and the ratings you would get from the PDGA system. Looks like your example is one where the two systems are in agreement.
Indeed, that's the goal of the DGCR scratch score 'estimate' formulas, and in this case it sounds like they were fantastically accurate! In general, as long as the 'course foliage' field (i.e. lightly, moderately, or heavily wooded) roughly matches how the course layout actually plays in terms of technicality, the SSE formula seems to be accurate within +/- 1.5 of a 'real' SSA.. or a round rating accurate to within +/- 15 rating points.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:52 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 813
Which is well within the normal variations you see in the PDGA's SSA simply due to weather and other tournament day factors.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 58
I am excited for the DGCR player ratings. It could be displayed in the right hand corner with the years playing, courses played etc.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 20
The feature looks good! I did notice that historical rounds are getting ratings too, however the ratings calculations seem to use the current course layout rather than the historical one that was recorded with the round itself. e.g. if the current course layout is really short, but the historical round was recorded with much longer hole lengths, the round is being rated assuming the current course layout instead (and thus rating in really really low).

Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHFH
This sounds great, I will be testing it soon!