Old 07-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat16dick View Post
I'm not sure if this has been addressed already, but I don't really want to slog through all the previous posts . So sorry if this is redundant.

But I'm wondering about the value of including all of a players' rounds, even rounds that are by no means recent. I feel like the ratings for individual rounds are quite accurate, however, a player's composite rating has a tendency to be far from his/her true current rating if he/she has many rounds that are below their current standard, even if those rounds are well in the past.

For example, I have been playing this wonderful sport for ~3 years now. I've recorded nearly all my rounds since then, and have seen my individual round ratings go up significantly. When I started, I was shooting about 700, but have been shooting consistently over 900 for the past months. But my composite rating is still around 840 .

I realize that the most recent 25% (or similar) of one's rounds are weighted heavier, but that still gives old rounds a big part of the calculation. So I guess my question is: Would there be value/ Would it be possible to only use rounds within a certain time frame in overall ratings calculations?

Thanks!
Yes, just like the PDGA system, the DGCR rating system only goes back as far as a year (in between your most-recent round and the oldest-included round). Here is the FAQ text for how player ratings are calculated:

Your player rating is the average of your recorded rounds over the past calendar year (i.e. there will be up to a year between your most recent round and the oldest round included), weighted according to how many holes were played in the round (e.g. a recorded round for a 9-hole layout only weighs half as much as a recorded round for an 18-hole layout), with your most-recent 25% of included rounds double-weighted. If you have less than 12 rounds for the year we will pull some older rounds to use in our calculation. You must have at least 5 rounds recorded to obtain a rating.

Source: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/faq.php?mode=show&id=44
Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
Yes, just like the PDGA system, the DGCR rating system only goes back as far as a year (in between your most-recent round and the oldest-included round). Here is the FAQ text for how player ratings are calculated:

Your player rating is the average of your recorded rounds over the past calendar year (i.e. there will be up to a year between your most recent round and the oldest round included), weighted according to how many holes were played in the round (e.g. a recorded round for a 9-hole layout only weighs half as much as a recorded round for an 18-hole layout), with your most-recent 25% of included rounds double-weighted. If you have less than 12 rounds for the year we will pull some older rounds to use in our calculation. You must have at least 5 rounds recorded to obtain a rating.

Source: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/faq.php?mode=show&id=44
Oh man, I wish I could read Thanks!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 49
One more in the "probably already answered in one long thread or another" column:

How often is the "DGCR Player Rating" in my Profile updated? With each round entered? Or with some once-daily (or other interval) automated script? Frequently, by hand, by an army of trained flying monkeys?
Old 07-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 315
Proud to see that I won my division at league yesterday with a 745 rated round.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:29 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by agibson View Post
One more in the "probably already answered in one long thread or another" column:

How often is the "DGCR Player Rating" in my Profile updated? With each round entered? Or with some once-daily (or other interval) automated script? Frequently, by hand, by an army of trained flying monkeys?
The monkeys update it right after you enter a round.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 366
Yay monkeys!
Old 07-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 180
Sorry if someone asked this already...is there someone we can inform when the DGCR ratings are way off from pDGA?

One of my local courses is pretty accurate but one is about 60-75 points off.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:54 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 815
Did you check to see if the distances and the foliage level are correct?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Sorry if someone asked this already...is there someone we can inform when the DGCR ratings are way off from pDGA?

One of my local courses is pretty accurate but one is about 60-75 points off.
As Mashnut mentioned, the only two things to check on are the hole distances and the course 'foliage level' (lightly wooded, moderately wooded, or heavily wooded). With that information (only), the SSE formulas do what they can do try to approximate what the SSA for that particular course/layout might be (in fair weather). Sometimes they match up very nicely, but sometimes the 'foliage level' value for the course doesn't really line up well with how technical the course actually plays.. and right now for those cases we don't have any options for increasing accuracy of the SSE formulas (we'd need more data inputs into the formula, which would involve more database fields for each course in the DGCR directory).

Old 07-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 180
Distances are exact.

I went ahead and changed the foliage level on the course info page, perhaps that was the issue. I don't suppose the DGCR rating updates course foliage automatically? If not please tell the volunteers to take a look at Lafreniere Park in Metairie LA.

Pretty cool ratings system so far DGCR. Keep up the good work.