Old 07-16-2013, 03:08 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 242
Throwing Style: RHBH
I changed it so the SSE is based off of the distances indicated on the scorecard rather than the course info page.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
I changed it so the SSE is based off of the distances indicated on the scorecard rather than the course info page.
I think that's an excellent idea, great! Some courses that have multiple pin placements are set at the shorter on the course info, and the long pins play significantly longer, changing the SSE (I assume) quite a bit.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 242
Ideally people would update the courses to reflect whatever the current layout is regardless of the SSE thing.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 53
Quote:
Thanks. I have a whole pile (several whole piles) of cards that I might someday enter, especially now that the round rating feature is in place. So, I appreciate this feature (which I'd sort of assumed was always there). It's nice to be able to select an old layout without changing it for everyone.

Quote:
Ideally people would update the courses to reflect whatever the current layout is regardless of the SSE thing.
My home course (Rogers Lakewood) has two holes with two teepads and about 20 with multiple pin positions (up to three each). I often enough play one from "AM" and the other from "PRO", plenty of players do.

In principle I guess I could encapsulate all of that using the four existing (all four) tee settings. But, it seems like a bit of a hassle.

So, I appreciate the indulgence of being able to manually change the whole length if I happen to play an AM or PRO instead of my usual on #7 or #12

(I'm still contemplating what to do with the 21 or 22 hole winter layout as opposed to the 24 hole three-season layout. With the round ratings only working when you play the whole course, I'm going to be tempted to request a new course entry come sledding season...)
Old 07-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
I like the general workings of this feature, and the ratings that I'm getting on the home course seem acceptable, but we have a course nearby that is producing artificially low ratings.

While its flat, open, and moderate in length, it has a significant amount of OB on practically every hole. On windy days, sometimes even the guy who designed it (who's about a 950 rated player) has trouble breaking 54.

So I highly doubt that a round in the upper 60's there qualifies as 750ish rated round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
Proud to see that I won my division at league yesterday with a 745 rated round.
He is right. I know you explained the artificial OB stuff. Is there anything that you/we can do to adjust for this? Increase foliage on the description? Increase the par? Holes 2,12,and 18 are legit par 4 holes. We play par 3's because we're all adults.

I shot a 57 yesterday. At Konen Creek a 57 is phenomenal. My previous best was 62, and I average a 70 there. At another local course i average a 56 with a best of 51. I got a near identical rating for shooting a 57 at both.

Either way if you can adjust or not doesn't really matter to me. I will just not record rounds from Konen Creek to avoid a decevingly low rating.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
The easiest adjustment if you want more accurate Ratings on this type of course is to adjust your score. Enter your score without the OB strokes and make note of that in the comments fields.

SSE is calculated solely on length and foliage. There is no effect on SSE from lots of OB, wind, inaccurate pars, etc. The formula has no way to take in the effect of lots of OB. Ratings are calculated directly from SSE based solely on your score.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnelle View Post
I know you explained the artificial OB stuff. Is there anything that you/we can do to adjust for this? Increase foliage on the description? Increase the par? Holes 2,12,and 18 are legit par 4 holes. We play par 3's because we're all adults.

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't update it just to adjust the SSE, the descriptive angle of that field is far more important than moving the SSE around.
As Tim alluded (in response to something I posted in a different thread), the course descriptors are intended to provide an accurate verbal description of the course first and foremost.

I think the ratings are fairly accurate for the most part, but there are bound to be more than a few courses that, though accurately described on the course home page, simply play quite a bit easier or harder than the ratings will indicate. This could be due to a plethora of factors that would be virtually impossible to fine tune the SSE and ratings calculations for, and doing so might jack them up for the vast majority of courses where the work pretty well.

I think we have to accept that it's a very good feature, but it will never be perfect.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 07-18-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
SSE is calculated solely on length and foliage. There is no effect on SSE from lots of OB, wind, inaccurate pars, etc. The formula has no way to take in the effect of lots of OB. Ratings are calculated directly from SSE based solely on your score.
If the SSE was calibrated from PDGA SSA's, presumably it includes something like an average tournament's amount of OB?

So, removing _all_ OB throws may not be right. But, if some course has more OB than an average tournament course, what you're saying seems to make sense.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 173
I apologize in advance if this has been covered already. I hadn't seen it come up yet, but I also didn't read all 248 prior posts.

I understand that SSEs are calculated, so there could be some issues with them. But, should short, pitch-and-putt courses has SSEs below a realistically attainable number, say anything less than 18? The example I'm using is Springfield Elementary in Fort Mill, SC. It's a 9-holer, average hole length is 151 feet, and the SSE is 16.6. If you get a 2 on every single hole, your 18 is only rated a 940. Is there a problem with the idea, that for someone to get a 1000-rated round, you'll need to ace two holes on the course?

Last edited by heelboycraig; 07-18-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
I think we have to accept that it's a very good feature, but it will never be perfect.
Has there been discussion of using average player scores for the course to calculate the rating? Either just for that course, or to cross-correlate courses? Or even to hook it directly to player's PDGA ratings?

Since we're talking about comparing self-reported scores for rounds on different days, etc. It's not going to be as accurate, or as easy to implement, as what the PDGA does. But, it's probably not impossible. And _maybe_ even appealing enough to try.