Old 07-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Dragon Ridge in Camdenton, MO

Curious what makes my +3 round a 780... that's crazy low. I know the course is VERY short, but the terrain is stupid billy goat crazy and EXTREMELY dense in the woods. If you hit the cage, your putter will roll 200 feet down a hill or off a cliff. It's nearly impossible to play a round without hitting several trees. Not sure how the SSE can factor in such extreme conditions.

Here are the stats from league so far this year:
The average (mean) of all rounds is 37.65934
The median is 37
The mode is 37
The standard deviation is 5.39842
The variance (standard deviation) is 29.14298
The population standard deviation is 5.28357
The variance (Population Standard Deviation) is 28.98285

Below is a list of the scores that have been posted and how many times each has been achieved.

The two 70 scores were DNF rounds. (Did not finish)

29 1
30 2
31 8
32 11
33 13
34 14
35 15
36 17
37 19
38 16
39 16
40 13
41 9
42 8
43 5
44 2
45 4
46 1
47 2
48 1
50 2
52 1
70 2
Old 07-26-2013, 01:30 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 242
Seems like a good time to make this post again. The SSE works pretty well for most courses but won't work for all courses. If your local course has any of the following: lots of artificial OB, is really short, has ~9 holes, has massive hills, has mountain lions that eat discs, etc. The SSE may not be that accurate in those cases.

I can't comment on Dragon Ridge since there really aren't many pics. But I feel like 6 birdies out of 10 holes isn't an unrealistic expectation for a 1000 rated round.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
One of the potential problems is that according to the (excellent) hole maps in the Course Media/Photos, there are 2 pin locations per hole and only one is set up on the Hole Info tab.....many of them in the short pin position that looks MUCH easier than the longs.

Unless you are playing the course as set up in the Hole Info page, the SSE will not match as well as it would if set up correctly. You might want to spend some time setting up the hole info correctly for this course to make it match reality.

Even when this is complete, it is possible SSE will be low due to the extreme roll-away potential you mention
Old 07-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
Seems like a good time to make this post again. The SSE works pretty well for most courses but won't work for all courses. If your local course has any of the following: lots of artificial OB, is really short, has ~9 holes, has massive hills, has mountain lions that eat discs, etc. The SSE may not be that accurate in those cases.

I can't comment on Dragon Ridge since there really aren't many pics. But I feel like 6 birdies out of 10 holes isn't an unrealistic expectation for a 1000 rated round.
Figured it was something like that. Fact is only one round in the history of the course has been under par... We love the course and take our punishment gladly... just hate that my DGCR rating takes such a hit. If 6 birdies yielded 1000 rated round ( I need to do a test to see if that works... maybe you did ), then 9 strokes worse than that surely shouldn't be 780... more like 910.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Eagle Member

WOW... -6 does make a 999... and you could do that if you hit every line perfectly. There are 6 good birdie opportunities that 1000 rated player will most likely have good chances at. Must be more than 10 points be throw somehow... which I know is very arbitrary anyway.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
One of the potential problems is that according to the (excellent) hole maps in the Course Media/Photos, there are 2 pin locations per hole and only one is set up on the Hole Info tab.....many of them in the short pin position that looks MUCH easier than the longs.

Unless you are playing the course as set up in the Hole Info page, the SSE will not match as well as it would if set up correctly. You might want to spend some time setting up the hole info correctly for this course to make it match reality.

Even when this is complete, it is possible SSE will be low due to the extreme roll-away potential you mention
I made sure the pin placements were correct before I entered my score. Hole 4 is really a par 4 if you ask me when in the B position. It's up on a pinnacle that's nearly impossible to land on for your second shot. Most always you are shoot up to a basket 25 feet above you with almost no landing area. It's an awesome location even if it doesn't sound like it.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
I can't comment on Dragon Ridge since there really aren't many pics.
Didn't realize we only had tee sign graphics for pics... I'll snap some next trip and upload them. It's hard to see the 100 ft elevation changes that accompany many of the holes.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 366
Do you have the PDGA ratings for the scores you list (or a subset of them)?

I doubt there are SSA's established for this course since I do not believe the PDGA does that round rounds composed of less than 20 holes. Have there ever been any PDGA events run here (each PDGA round would have had to be made up of 2 rounds on the course? If so, the layout/s use would have to be known to make this data meaningful.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post
WOW... -6 does make a 999... and you could do that if you hit every line perfectly. There are 6 good birdie opportunities that 1000 rated player will most likely have good chances at. Must be more than 10 points be throw somehow... which I know is very arbitrary anyway.
The PDGA rating-points-per-throw interval scales based on number of holes, too. So if you were to have a 10 rating-points-per-throw interval for an 18-hole version of that course, on the 10-hole version it would be 10 * 18 / 10 = 18 rating-points-per-throw. It's one reason (of several) that the PDGA doesn't use course layouts with fewer than 13 holes to compute ratings.. the stepwise problem gets more and more pronounced (i.e. big jumps in rating for each throw difference).

Also, we *do* know that, based on how the SSE formulas were designed/intended, there is a current problem with how they scale on non-18-hole courses. Revised formulas (in testing) fixed some SSE problems (particularly on very short 9-hole courses), but created others (particularly on semi-technical, moderately-lengthy 9-hole courses). :P

Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
Do you have the PDGA ratings for the scores you list (or a subset of them)?

I doubt there are SSA's established for this course since I do not believe the PDGA does that round rounds composed of less than 20 holes. Have there ever been any PDGA events run here (each PDGA round would have had to be made up of 2 rounds on the course? If so, the layout/s use would have to be known to make this data meaningful.
No tournament ever played here yet... course is barely a year old. Cement pads just now going in. Obtained 3 more baskets this week... so it'll be 13 soon enough.

I think I'll forgo entering my scores for the course until it's complete and we host a tournament... which should be next spring.